Silk Hammock "finished"

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 20, 2005
      I just finished messing around with my hammock for this years hike,
      and finished the body. It looks like it will be pretty good. It
      weighs 14 ounces with lines and tree huggers (no tarp). I've
      encorporated a new way to use the tree huggers that I haven't seen
      documented before. It looks like it will work fine.

      I made a stab at documentation here:

      http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

      There are some big pictures on this page (near the bottom) so be
      patient if you have a modem. Let me know if you have any ideas
      about it.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 20, 2005
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > I've
        > encorporated a new way to use the tree huggers that I haven't seen
        > documented before. It looks like it will work fine.

        Ray,

        What's the name of the hitch in the second picture that you used to
        tie the hammock support line to the tree hugger? Is that the same
        hitch you use when you occupy the hammock, or just what you used
        while you were attaching the huggers? It's looks a lot easier and
        quicker than Hennessey's...any slippage?

        Thanks for the pics...it really helps us novices!

        Jeff
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 20, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...> >
          What's the name of the hitch in the second picture that you used to
          > tie the hammock support line to the tree hugger? Is that the same
          > hitch you use when you occupy the hammock, or just what you used
          > while you were attaching the huggers? It's looks a lot easier and
          > quicker than Hennessey's...any slippage?

          That is just 2 half hitches, except the last hitch is not completed,
          the rope is just looped through. That is the way I tie it, even
          when the hammock is occupied. In fact, that picture was taken with
          someone in the hammock. It does not slip, and you can untie it
          fairly easily by pulling the free end back through.
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 20, 2005
            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > I just finished messing around with my hammock for this years hike,
            > and finished the body. It looks like it will be pretty good. It
            > weighs 14 ounces with lines and tree huggers (no tarp). I've
            > encorporated a new way to use the tree huggers that I haven't seen
            > documented before. It looks like it will work fine.
            >
            > I made a stab at documentation here:
            >
            > http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/
            >
            > There are some big pictures on this page (near the bottom) so be
            > patient if you have a modem. Let me know if you have any ideas
            > about it.

            The idea of using silk very much intrigues me, so I'll be watching
            with interest.

            One question though: How come you didn't dye the silk? My
            understanding is that silk will take fabric dyes like Rit very well.
            Why not something a little more quieter/pleasanter than white?

            Doug Frost
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2005
              > One question though: How come you didn't dye the silk?

              Yes, it is quite an eyesore. In this case, I will probably not use
              the hammock without bottom insulation (GI shell and bag-o-feathers).
              When that is attached, the hammock looks blue. I have been thinking
              about making another shell out of a much lighter fabric. If this
              happens, the hammock will look green.

              But your suggestion about using dye is good, and I'll be able to use
              it on the yet to be built hammock sock. I'm thinking about using
              Gardenvilles idea of silk gauze for the bug screen portion and maybe
              5mm silk for the bottom portion of the sock. I just have white
              fabric, so will need to tone it down some.
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 2005
                <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                > But your suggestion about using dye is good, and I'll be able to
                use
                > it on the yet to be built hammock sock.

                I used my sock last night...it sprinkled pretty hard for a while,
                and the sock kept me dry. I wouldn't rely on it for a storm, but
                the DWR would be a great stand-by if you didn't want to deploy your
                tarp. I like sleeping with nothing over me.

                Not sure you'd get this benefit with the silk. Also, how well would
                the silk block the wind? I bet it would be a lot better in the
                summer for the increased breathability, though.

                Jeff
              • Paul Kaercher
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 2005
                  Ray,

                  How do you like the comfort of your longer (10' pre whipping) as compared to
                  a 9' hammock? As a side sleeper, extra comfort may be worth the minor extra weight.

                  "One question though: How come you didn't dye the silk?
                  Yes, it is quite an eyesore."

                  I would think you could dye it anytime, if there is concern about any effect on ropes or
                  webbing, just keep the ends of the hammock out of the dye solution.

                  I just finished a 9' 8mm silk hammock and silk gauze bug net (thank you Gardenville)
                  I will be dying the bug net black and then treating it with permethrin.
                  I will dye the hammock, (haven't decided on a color) and then lightly spray the outside
                  with permethrin.

                  OH-NO
                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 21, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher"
                    <yomas_1@h...> wrote:
                    > I just finished a 9' 8mm silk hammock and silk gauze bug net
                    (thank you Gardenville)
                    > I will be dying the bug net black and then treating it with
                    permethrin.

                    Btw...I ordered my NoSeeUm mesh from thru-hiker.com. It's really
                    just a thin gauze-like material for $3.95/yd.

                    Then I saw the same thing at Walmart for $1/yd! It was white
                    instead of black, though...but for $1/yd you could do a lot of
                    prototyping in white! And always dye it if needed.

                    Keep an eye out for the cheap stuff!

                    Though I might eventually make the body out of silk...that sounds
                    too comfy to pass up.

                    Jeff
                  • Ray Garlington
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 21, 2005
                      <yomas_1@h...> wrote:
                      > How do you like the comfort of your longer (10' pre whipping) as
                      compared to
                      > a 9' hammock? As a side sleeper, extra comfort may be worth the
                      minor extra weight.

                      This is a very comfortable configuration, on par with the Hennessey
                      Hammock. (BTW, the dimensions 114" body fabric and 100" ridge line
                      are very close to those of the HH Explorer 2.5) The weight of 14
                      ounces (complete) makes it tough to get much lighter. I will
                      probably go with shorter support ropes and save a couple more ounces.
                    • J.D. Hoessle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 23, 2005
                        wrote:
                        > I will be dying the bug net black and then treating it with
                        > permethrin.

                        Good Morning, Paul!

                        Do you mix up a batch of Permethrin yourself or is this a commercially
                        avialable product?

                        I have heard of treating *CLOTHING* with Permethrin for a few years
                        now; but, have never tried it myself. I know it (Permethrin) can be a
                        somewhat dangerous product - skin contact, etc. But, recently I have
                        seen many ads for "Ex-Offico" clothing with the brand name "Buzz Off".

                        D.E.E.T. has been around for 50 - 60 years now with no harmful effects
                        that I know of... I use D.E.E.T @ 100% all the time now. Just put it
                        on all exposed skin - avoiding eyes and mouth of course.

                        But... Permethrin.....? Anyone have input on spraying clothing...?

                        Thanks!

                        Happy Trails,

                        J.D.
                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 23, 2005
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                          wrote:
                          > But... Permethrin.....? Anyone have input on spraying clothing...?

                          Military has been using it for years with no harmful effects that I
                          know of. I get issued two bottles every time I deploy, though I've
                          never actually used it yet so I just return them.

                          I've read that increasing the DEET concentration to over 30% has no
                          impact on its effectiveness. The 30% stuff repels bugs just as well
                          as the 50, 75, 100% stuff. Something about it evaporating or
                          absorbing into the skin too quickly? I don't remember the exact
                          cause, but I'm using 25% right now and it seems to work just fine.

                          Jeff
                        • Rat
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 23, 2005
                            DEET may not be as harmless as first suspected.

                            http://dukemednews.duke.edu/news/healthtip.php?id=5656

                            http://www.newstarget.com/001586.html

                            Permethrin is not (that we know of) harmful. And skin exposure does
                            not lead to toxin absorbtion, it just renders it ineffective (the
                            oils in your skin break it down I think).

                            http://www.state.sd.us/doh/WestNile/permethrin.htm

                            http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/permethr.html

                            A few years from now permethrin may be bad for ya.

                            I use permethirin on my clothing and Catus Juice on my skin.

                            http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/
                          • Paul Kaercher
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 23, 2005
                              Hi J.D.,

                              (Do you mix up a batch of Permethrin yourself or is this a commercially
                              available product?)
                              I do mix a batch from concentrate. I have heard of a commercially
                              available product but forget the details. I'll check Lows, Home Depot etc. to see
                              if they carry it.

                              (I have heard of treating *CLOTHING* with Permethrin for a few years
                              now; but, have never tried it myself. I know it (Permethrin) can be a
                              somewhat dangerous product - skin contact, etc.)
                              It should not be sprayed on the skin, but that is due to potential skin irritation
                              problems and efficacy (doesn't work well) issues.
                              Permethrin has been on the market for over 30 years (agricultural uses first) and
                              has shown no long term adverse health effects, so far.
                              The LD/50 for both ingestion and dermal exposure is greater than 4000-mg/Kg,
                              so you would have to work hard to drink enough to kill you, and it is poorly absorbed
                              through the skin.
                              That being said, I do not want permethrin treated, tight fitting (T shirt) clothes clinging to
                              my perspiring body on a hot summer day. The thought of possible skin irritation keeps my
                              permethrin use to loose fitting clothes, hat, hammock bottom and bug netting.

                              If anyone has additional or conflicting info. please share.

                              OH-NO