Trip report -- thin foam and $20 hammock

  • dchinell
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2005
      Hangers-on:

      Site: Myakka River State Park
      Temp: 43 - 60
      Wind: 5 mph
      Gear: Thin high density foam pads, The Travel
      Hammock

      Since it was going down to 45, I took the thin
      pads, two half-pads of 3/8-inch blue ensolite, my
      thinsulate poncho liner, and my Pea Pod.

      The thin pads did surprisingly well. They kept my
      back as warm as my front until around 7:30 -- an
      hour past sunset. At that time I just went ahead
      and put on the Pea Pod. I'd guess they were good
      to 55 F, and maybe better.

      I never put up my tarp. I only took my Bug Shirt
      mossie headnet -- but never used it. Nice to rig
      lightly.

      The Travel Hammock is a single layer of thin nylon
      taffeta. It's smaller than the Hammock Bliss
      hammock, but also fits into its own pocket.

      They use a simple rigging system. Both casements
      are "permanently" gathered with about a 2-foot
      cord. This is attached to the closed end of an "S"
      hook using a lark's head hitch. The tree rope is
      about 3/16-inch thick nylon cord. It's about 8
      feet long and doubled. There's a simple overhand
      knot at the open ends, and another about 9 inches
      back from that.

      In use, you loop it around the tree (lark's head)
      and put the hook behind one of the overhand knots.

      The sides are loose enough to fold over top of me.
      Seems comfy enough.

      Makes a good under-hammock or gear hammock.

      I also used the Clickstand and Evernew 0.9 L
      titanium pot. The more I use that rig, the better
      I like it.

      Dreaming about kits:
      - Ontario RAT
      - Military Match II MFS
      - Campmor Backpacker's poncho
      - Mil-spec 550 cord (80 feet)
      - Varga titanium mug

      Dreaming about rigging:
      - gather my Jungle with 2 feet of tubular nylon
      - lark's head hitch this to a pair of 1-inch rings
      - water knot a loop onto the end of 10 feet of
      1-inch polyester webbing for tree ropes
      - this puts a drip ring at a constant distance
      back from the tarp

      Bear