RE: Hammock Camping Cutting down Speer Hammock

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
      Message
      John/Bear  Making my hammock 4' wide instead of 5' works fine. Obviously one will not be as deep (read safely) inside the hammock.  While the loss of security is noticable, one can adjust to it.  The biggest advantage of course is a bit less weight....Ed

      John:

      I use the Tropical Hammock manufactured by Nomad Travel.
      This is a simple, rectangular piece of cloth with a
      drawstring in either end. When laid out flat the body is 7
      feet 10 inches long by 3 feet 6 inches wide.

      I'm 5 feet 8 inches tall, and around 200 lbs (on a low-grav
      day). This width seems just the tiniest bit shallow to me.
      I've often thought about making a Speer hammock that was 4
      feet wide, to see how that would feel.

      I'm afraid you'll have to do the R&D on this one yourself,
      but I wanted to let you know that 3-1/2 feet wide would be
      workable.

      Bear

    • geoflyfisher
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
        "Ed Speer" wrote:
        My sewer
        > informes me that doing anything less than a perfect rectangle will
        > require that the bug net also be cut differently to accomodate the
        new
        > hammock shape--but that may not be too difficult.

        Hi Ed,

        I did not cut a rectangular bug net for the two Speer type hammocks I
        have made. The alternate method I used was to hang the hammock with
        a net suspension cord as you describe in the book. Then I put a pad
        in the hammock to put it into the right shape... about the same as
        if I were sleeping in it.

        At this stage, I drape the bug net material over the cord and hold it
        in place with three clothes pins. Then I cut the bug net out in a
        football shape that overlaps the edges of the hammock by about 4-6
        inches. I found it works best to then put the piece on the kitchen
        floor and make a few judicious smoothing cuts to make the shape a
        symetrical and smooth football. Finally, I sew the hook velcro to
        the two long edges of the net. At each of the ends, for the last 6-8
        inches (beyond the velcro line on the hammock, I sew hook velcro to
        one side and pile velcro to the other, so I can close the ends of the
        bug net on itself.

        This seems to use a bit less material, thus a little less weight, and
        also makes the ends of the bug net look a little neater during use. I
        ordered 2.5 yards of noseeum, and layed the material across its
        diagonal before cutting.

        I use some of the cut off bug net to make a little triangular holder
        for glasses and pocket stuff.

        Rick <><
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
          Message
          Neat Rick  It is those curved edges my sewer wants to avoid, but I'm trying to persuade her it can be done--this helps, thanks...Ed

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
            It is those curved edges my sewer wants to avoid, but I'm
            > trying to persuade her it can be done--this helps, thanks...Ed

            Ed,

            It seems to work out best to cut the velcro the right length, and
            start sewing at one end. It is very easy to sew next to the edge of
            the netting a couple inches at a time, simply by holding the netting
            with one's hand. No pins are necessary. Second line of stitching on
            the other side of the velcro goes very quickly.

            I do find that sewing the hook velcro is rough on the thread and that
            it breaks an average of once per 8 foot side (I think the hooks grab
            part of the thread and then the thread coating begins to unravel
            above the sewing machine needle.

            I like to leave about a quarter inch of netting beyond the velcro so
            there is a ready to use tab to pull the velcro joint apart. Try one,
            y'all may like it.

            <><
          • hikingdude2003
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
              Ed,

              I ended up cutting the hammock down to 48" and it seems to work
              well. I'm probably going to make another on with the elongated
              triangle cut and compare. Either way I may sew on tie outs to the
              sides to spread things out a bit.

              Great book, BTW.

              Oh yeah, I see you are in the hills of NC. I lived in Clyde a
              couple of years ago (I'm from the great town of Climax, NC) and look
              forward to moving back to the area after grad school. Southeastern
              Ohio doesn't hold a candle to western NC.
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
                Message
                Glad you liked the book Hiking Dude.  Also glad to see you making hammocks based on it.  Let me know how your modified ones work out.

                I, too, like western NC a lot.  I've lived all over the US and numerous places overseas, but find the mountains of western NC well suited to me.  I'm only an hour or two from some of the best camping and hiking in the world.  When things get hectic around here, I just head out on the Old Mt. Mitchell trail and soon all is right with the world again. I can't get enought of it and try to spend 4-10 days a month on a trail--and I still haven't hiked half of the ones around here yet!

                Hiking the AT twice sure made me appreciate this part of the world also.  And it was on those hikes that I decided to write the book on hammock camping--kind of a natural extension of how I spend my life anyway.  I hope to do the PCT next year, with my hammock of course...Ed

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
                  Ed,

                  I thruhiked in 2,000 and completely relate. One perk of my grad
                  assistantship is taking folks out on trips on a regular basis. not
                  as relaxing but a bad day's hiking beats a good day a work.

                  I'm looking at Clemson for my PhD program. Will probably go visit
                  the campus in the next few months.

                  BTW - i'm doing my thesis on motivations for long distance hikers.
                  Would you be interested in being interviewed (should take 20 minutes
                  or so).

                  Take care,
                  -John