Re: [Hammock Camping] My coldest night in a Hammock yet...and I survived!

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 59 , Feb 7, 2005
      > Rat wrote:
      >
      > >When I went home on R&R this time we had scheduled a pretty big
      hog
      > >hunt at Lake Granger (Texas). Lake Grange is my "testing grounds"
      > >for all things backpacking. Since we boat in to our primative
      camp
      > >site it is easy to take the new homemade/lightweight gear and
      also
      > >the old tried and true to fall back on if I need it.
      > >

      > Sounds like a good, safe way to do testing.
      >
      > >Granger is far
      > >enough away from home so I don't just "go to the house" if things
      > >get bad, I am forced to find a solution. If things get REALLY bad
      > >the truck, and heater, is just short boat ride away. I have never
      > >had to use that as an out though!
      > >
      > >My Hammock gear was "Old School", two closed cell foam pads
      (Target)
      > >one with a shiny car window thingy glued to it. A military
      sleeping
      > >bag (synthetic) mummy style, wool blend longjohns, wool blend
      socks
      > >and a knit balaclava. My hammock is the HH Exped Asym with the
      stock
      > >fly.
      > >
      > >I wanted to build a new tarp and some quilts but I just didn't
      have
      > >the time. Those will hafta wait until May, when I get home for
      good.

      > >20 Feb
      > >

      > Last year??

      Sorry that should read 20, 21 and 22 of JANUARY!
    • pedantus
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 17, 2005

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "pedantus" <pedantus@h...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > Furd Burfle's campsite???
        >
        > I have to know the story behind this name.

        I misspelled it...:) Ferd (short for Ferdinand) Burfel is a late
        sixties nickname conjuring the image of a self-assured rural person
        who is proudly independant but wholly uninformed as to the
        conventions of any 'reality' outside of the narrow confines of his
        own traditions, habits, and individual quirks.

        Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
        First Show 1968
        Last Show 1973
        Genre Comedy
        Network NBC
        Slot Day Monday
        Slot Time 8 pm

        (And now you know where the name Pedantus comes from...:)

        Rog