Re: [Hammock Camping] My coldest night in a Hammock yet...and I survived!

    Message 1 of 59 , Feb 7, 2005
      Rat wrote:

      >When I went home on R&R this time we had scheduled a pretty big hog
      >hunt at Lake Granger (Texas). Lake Grange is my "testing grounds"
      >for all things backpacking. Since we boat in to our primative camp
      >site it is easy to take the new homemade/lightweight gear and also
      >the old tried and true to fall back on if I need it.

      Sounds like a good, safe way to do testing.

      >Granger is far
      >enough away from home so I don't just "go to the house" if things
      >get bad, I am forced to find a solution. If things get REALLY bad
      >the truck, and heater, is just short boat ride away. I have never
      >had to use that as an out though!
      >
      >My Hammock gear was "Old School", two closed cell foam pads (Target)
      >one with a shiny car window thingy glued to it. A military sleeping
      >bag (synthetic) mummy style, wool blend longjohns, wool blend socks
      >and a knit balaclava. My hammock is the HH Exped Asym with the stock
      >fly.
      >
      >I wanted to build a new tarp and some quilts but I just didn't have
      >the time. Those will hafta wait until May, when I get home for good.
      >
      >20 Feb

      Last year??

> [...]
      >story of how he came about six of these bags for fifteen dollars at
      >a yard sale, I blurted the customary exclamations and asked politely
      >if he would consider selling me one. I told him my intention was to
      >use the down to build and under/over quilt set for my hammock. He
      >said he had two with him and he would just GIVE me one! So away we
      >go in the boat, to his truck, to get the freebie bag. If you are
      >reading this Restless, Thanks again Bro! I have no idea what the
      >temp rating is on this thing, it is an old military mummy style bag,
      >it is huge and heavy. Did I also mention it had a few holes in it?
      >By the time I exited the Hammock in the morning it looked like I had
      >molested a duck in there. Feathers were everywhere, mouth, ears,
      >eyes all over everything. I have come to the conclusion that
      >feathers are negativly charged and nylon is positivly charged,
      >ridding the hammock of feathers was insanely hard.
      >
      >With my new-to-me down bag I crawled into my HH for a night of
      >blissful slumber. I actually looked at my thermometer one time, it
      >read 22 deg, my coldest night! I was perectly warm, although I had
      >to add a pair of socks and my balaclava. I had taken with me into
      >the hammcok a pair of insulated coveralls (I use them for the boat
      >rides, they are not part of my regular winter base), I only used
      >them as a pillow. However, around 0430 I had to make a head call. I
      >was really dreading going out into the cold, so I decided to put on
      >my coveralls before I exited the hammock. First of all let me add my
      >disclaimer, I am NOT a morning person, I don't think very clearly, I
      >am grumpy, non-sociable and all around disconnected with the world
      >for hours after I wake up. So anyway, I had this genius idea to put
      >on my coveralls in this sleep induced state of delusion. After the
      >first set of arial acrobatics I realised this was probably not a
      >wise idea, however, I had managed to get my legs in the proper
      >holes. Rationalizing that I was half way there, I decided to press
      >on. Did I mention that I'm not very rational in the morning? Trying
      >to press your bottom off of the hammock and slide the coveralls on,
      >all the while fighting the two pads, sleeping bag, varous
      >flashlights and water bottles was nothing short of miraculous, if
      >not hilarious. I am just glad my campmates were fast asleep. I
      >actually got a rope burn on the side of my head from the ridgeline
      >during the madness! But, alas, I had won. The coveralls were on and
      >zipped up. So out I slid, visited the head and wandered back to the
      >hammcok. However, after all the physical exertion I found my heart
      >rate was up, I was slightly sweating and I was mysteriously alert. I
      >decided I could not fall back into my blissful slumber, so I stirred
      >the coals and put on coffee. It was my first sunrise in a very long
      >time, all alone on the banks of the San Gabriel River. I vowed to
      >see more of them, but next time I will just set the alarm clock!

      Nice story.
      That is the way it is meant to be.

      Risk
    • pedantus
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 17, 2005

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "pedantus" <pedantus@h...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > Furd Burfle's campsite???
        >
        > I have to know the story behind this name.

        I misspelled it...:) Ferd (short for Ferdinand) Burfel is a late
        sixties nickname conjuring the image of a self-assured rural person
        who is proudly independant but wholly uninformed as to the
        conventions of any 'reality' outside of the narrow confines of his
        own traditions, habits, and individual quirks.

        Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
        First Show 1968
        Last Show 1973
        Genre Comedy
        Network NBC
        Slot Day Monday
        Slot Time 8 pm

        (And now you know where the name Pedantus comes from...:)

        Rog