My coldest night in a Hammock yet...and I survived!

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 59 , Feb 7, 2005
      When I went home on R&R this time we had scheduled a pretty big hog
      hunt at Lake Granger (Texas). Lake Grange is my "testing grounds"
      for all things backpacking. Since we boat in to our primative camp
      site it is easy to take the new homemade/lightweight gear and also
      the old tried and true to fall back on if I need it. Granger is far
      enough away from home so I don't just "go to the house" if things
      get bad, I am forced to find a solution. If things get REALLY bad
      the truck, and heater, is just short boat ride away. I have never
      had to use that as an out though!

      My Hammock gear was "Old School", two closed cell foam pads (Target)
      one with a shiny car window thingy glued to it. A military sleeping
      bag (synthetic) mummy style, wool blend longjohns, wool blend socks
      and a knit balaclava. My hammock is the HH Exped Asym with the stock

      I wanted to build a new tarp and some quilts but I just didn't have
      the time. Those will hafta wait until May, when I get home for good.

      20 Feb was a nice night, low of about 40 deg. I put the two pads in
      the hammock, staggared, with about ten or so inches of pad
      overlaping in the middle. First night was great with longjohns,
      socks and no balaclava. Actually kinda warm. I don't have a problem
      with the pads slipping out from under me, I am a pretty sound
      sleeper. I am also a warm sleeper.

      21 Feb was a bit cooler but not much maybe 35 deg, and I slept nice
      and warm again. We had killed a nice pig that day and roasted him,
      whole, over the campfire. So I was, to put it lightly, full.
      Actually I felt more like an engorged tick, but I slept like a rock!
      The fare that evening was roasted pig, baked potatos, fresh
      vegetables, and a plethora of breads. One of the guys I bowhunt with
      is a Vegan, so we always have fresh breads and veggies on our
      outings. And yes, he is a vegan bowhunter, and no, he doesn't hunt
      cucumbers :).

      22 Feb At about midday the weather has taken a decidedly nasty turn.
      No rain but the winds have picked up and turned downright cold! We
      had a few of the local Game Wardens give us a visit about noon. They
      commented, after seeing my hammock, that the temps for the night
      were going to be in the mid 20's. After assuring them I was
      prepared, they replied, "Well, you know bridges freeze first", to
      which I reponded, "None of the bridges I know of are insulated",
      they left with only semi worried expressions, and maybe a little

      I need to interject here that one of the hunters on this trip GAVE
      me a down sleeping bag. I have never owned a down sleeping bag.
      Mostly because I am terrified of getting it wet and not being able
      to stay warm, but also because I am cheap. Anyway, after telling a
      story of how he came about six of these bags for fifteen dollars at
      a yard sale, I blurted the customary exclamations and asked politely
      if he would consider selling me one. I told him my intention was to
      use the down to build and under/over quilt set for my hammock. He
      said he had two with him and he would just GIVE me one! So away we
      go in the boat, to his truck, to get the freebie bag. If you are
      reading this Restless, Thanks again Bro! I have no idea what the
      temp rating is on this thing, it is an old military mummy style bag,
      it is huge and heavy. Did I also mention it had a few holes in it?
      By the time I exited the Hammock in the morning it looked like I had
      molested a duck in there. Feathers were everywhere, mouth, ears,
      eyes all over everything. I have come to the conclusion that
      feathers are negativly charged and nylon is positivly charged,
      ridding the hammock of feathers was insanely hard.

      With my new-to-me down bag I crawled into my HH for a night of
      blissful slumber. I actually looked at my thermometer one time, it
      read 22 deg, my coldest night! I was perectly warm, although I had
      to add a pair of socks and my balaclava. I had taken with me into
      the hammcok a pair of insulated coveralls (I use them for the boat
      rides, they are not part of my regular winter base), I only used
      them as a pillow. However, around 0430 I had to make a head call. I
      was really dreading going out into the cold, so I decided to put on
      my coveralls before I exited the hammock. First of all let me add my
      disclaimer, I am NOT a morning person, I don't think very clearly, I
      am grumpy, non-sociable and all around disconnected with the world
      for hours after I wake up. So anyway, I had this genius idea to put
      on my coveralls in this sleep induced state of delusion. After the
      first set of arial acrobatics I realised this was probably not a
      wise idea, however, I had managed to get my legs in the proper
      holes. Rationalizing that I was half way there, I decided to press
      on. Did I mention that I'm not very rational in the morning? Trying
      to press your bottom off of the hammock and slide the coveralls on,
      all the while fighting the two pads, sleeping bag, varous
      flashlights and water bottles was nothing short of miraculous, if
      not hilarious. I am just glad my campmates were fast asleep. I
      actually got a rope burn on the side of my head from the ridgeline
      during the madness! But, alas, I had won. The coveralls were on and
      zipped up. So out I slid, visited the head and wandered back to the
      hammcok. However, after all the physical exertion I found my heart
      rate was up, I was slightly sweating and I was mysteriously alert. I
      decided I could not fall back into my blissful slumber, so I stirred
      the coals and put on coffee. It was my first sunrise in a very long
      time, all alone on the banks of the San Gabriel River. I vowed to
      see more of them, but next time I will just set the alarm clock!
    • pedantus
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 17, 2005
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "pedantus" <pedantus@h...>
        > wrote:
        > Furd Burfle's campsite???
        > I have to know the story behind this name.

        I misspelled it...:) Ferd (short for Ferdinand) Burfel is a late
        sixties nickname conjuring the image of a self-assured rural person
        who is proudly independant but wholly uninformed as to the
        conventions of any 'reality' outside of the narrow confines of his
        own traditions, habits, and individual quirks.

        Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
        First Show 1968
        Last Show 1973
        Genre Comedy
        Network NBC
        Slot Day Monday
        Slot Time 8 pm

        (And now you know where the name Pedantus comes from...:)