Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 66

  • McElligott John
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2003
      On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 05:57 PM, hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:

      > RE: Digest Number 65

      Thanks. So then why don`t we sleep this way in a tent with a quilt just
      over us and tucked in on the sides?

      Tokio John
    • geoflyfisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2003
        John writes:

        > Thanks. So then why don`t we sleep this way in a tent with a quilt
        just
        > over us and tucked in on the sides?

        Hi John,

        Some do use a quilt on a ground pad on the ground. Jardine advocates
        this in Beyond Backpacking, and a number of ultralight hikers have
        taken it up. (He also mentions that one gets used to ants "getting
        into everything including our clothing at night". [Beyond Backpacking
        p 36])

        My take is that a quilt is particularly handy in a hammock which has
        sides to keep the quilt bunched up on top of me - and the pad bunched
        up around my body as well. My quilt made of Polarguard 3D and about
        1.5 inches thick lays on top of me with several (3-6?) inches of top
        insulation when I am in the hammock. It has been good down to 5
        degrees, well below what I designed it for.

        I choose to watch the ants on the ground from the hammock.