Re: Fwd: Using silk for hammocks

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher"
      <yomas_1@h...> wrote:

      > Hi Ray,
      > What size is your 10-mm silk hammock and what does it weigh?
      > I made one out of 8-mm silk 9' X 54" (before hemming the edges)
      and it
      > weighs 5 1/4 oz without rope or tree huggers.
      > My next hammock may be out of 10-mm silk if the weight difference
      is not much.

      The hemmed size of my hammock body is 10'3" x 52" and it weighs 7.4
      ounces. I wanted to try a slightly longer one this time having
      experimented with shorter ones for a while.

      > You said "I noticed that some powder pushed through the silk"
      > from the down/feathers you recycled from an old GI bag.
      >
      > That fine powder may be frass from Dermestid beetles feasting on
      the
      > feathers.

      I did not see any signs of insect activity. Perhaps it was just
      crushed feather powder. I will say that it was not pleasant to
      breath this dust. I think I'll take the bag outside and give it a
      good old fashioned 'dusting'.