Re: Result of my first adventure with the ZHammock

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
      wrote:

      > I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
      > insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
      > of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
      > cold.

      Thanks, Bear!

      Love the phrase "insulate moving targets"....<g>...! That describes
      everything to a "T" - Thanks!

      Wider pad(S) have also been suggested; but, if a small sit-pad would
      work....? Will try that too!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Amy Skowronek
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
        On Feb 2, 2005, at 11:32 AM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
        >> insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
        >> of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
        >> cold.
        >
        > Thanks, Bear!
        >
        > Love the phrase "insulate moving targets"....<g>...! That describes
        > everything to a "T" - Thanks!
        >
        > Wider pad(S) have also been suggested; but, if a small sit-pad would
        > work....? Will try that too!

        I use my sit-pad under my feet, which are always cold. I like to sleep
        on my side so I stuff a fleece jacket under my knees and/or butt.
        There's usually enough random clothing around to insulate the pokey-out
        bits.

        -amy
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
          Good story J.D.

          A couple comments. If the hammock seems too short, tie one end 6
          inches higher than the other. Head goes at low end. It will not
          really change the sleeping angle much, but it will shift your bottom
          toward the head end by about 6 inches and give you lots more room.

          When temperatures are cold (usually very very cold) I take my winter
          jacket and use it as a pad for my lower legs between the layers of the
          double bottom. That helps with cold spots a whole lot.

          I often lie about a third on one side, with my face against one side
          or the other and my hips shifted toward one side, but without actually
          being on my side. It is a comfortable way for me to sleep. When I
          first tried sleeping on my side, I found that the side of the upper
          knee hurt. Crossing my feet seemed to take away that tenderness.

          Yes, putting the tarp up does keep the frost from forming on the
          hammock. It might make you much happier.

          You might want to take a look at my overlap pad, It keeps knees and
          shoulders much warmer than any other method I have found short of the
          WarmHammock.

          http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

          Risk

          > Happy Ground Hog Day!
          >
          > Results from my first ZHammock adventure:
          >
          > 9:30 PM - ....
        • robi
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
            rick,

            just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
            nights you go out int?

            the zhammock or the warm hammock...

            starting to get confused ....

            robi

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
              Robi,

              Most of my winter camping has been with the ZHammock or the
              Quarterweight Hammock. In the cold cold cold nights (Below 10 F) I have
              used the WarmHammock so far. However, I am promising myself that I will
              be using a thinner insulated WarmHammock this spring and summer for even
              warm weather. It will have about an inch of insulation. I have all the
              materials, and just need to take the time to sew it up.

              Risk

              robi wrote:

              >rick,
              >
              >just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
              >nights you go out int?
              >
              >the zhammock or the warm hammock...
              >
              >starting to get confused ....
              >

              >robi

            • robi
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 13, 2005
                rick,

                why would you want to use the warm hamock for summer camping too?

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 13, 2005
                  Hi Robi,

                  I have my first warm hammock, the one that is cranberry colored hung up in my spare bedroom.  I often nap in it.  I think it works great in warmish atmospheres too.

                  I believe that a thinner insulated WarmHammock is about the best approach to an underquilt and eliminates the need to carry all of the pad I have been carrying.  It will probably be lighter than the ZHammock plus its pad.  I will still be carrying a 20x36 inch piece of pad that can be used as the frame of my pack, as a pad in a shelter, and as a pad to escape to the ground. However, many nights, the pad may stay in my pack and allow me to pack up in the morning much easier.  I also will not need to fiddle with getting the pad to be situated in just the right place between the layers of my hammock.

                  Risk

                  robi wrote:

                  rick,

                  just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
                  nights you go out int?

                  the zhammock or the warm hammock...

                  starting to get confused ....

                  robi

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • robi
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                    hi risk,

                    so that WH u have on you site with the baffles on the side is what you
                    are talking about, right? with the right amount of insulation you could
                    keep warm down to failry cookl temps, then on those cokd nights break out
                    the travel pod????

                    robi

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                      Exactly.

                      BTW, I am thinking of documenting the heck out of my building the next
                      hammock and putting the sewing instructions, photos, and some audio
                      snippets on a CD. That way, detailed instructions could be available
                      for those who really want them as shareware. I am aware that the
                      WarmHammock is a bit more difficult than the other designs. I only know
                      of one other person who has taken my basic instructions and made the
                      hammock for themselves. The design is sound. I think it needs more
                      exposure.

                      Rick

                      robi wrote:

                      >hi risk,
                      >
                      >so that WH u have on you site with the baffles on the side is what you
                      >are talking about, right? with the right amount of insulation you could
                      >keep warm down to failry cookl temps, then on those cokd nights break out
                      >the travel pod????
                      >
                      >robi
                      >
                      >On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:38:10 -0500, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>Hi Robi,
                      >>
                      >>I have my first warm hammock, the one that is cranberry colored hung up
                      >>in my spare bedroom. I often nap in it. I think it works great in
                      >>warmish atmospheres too.
                      >>
                      >>I believe that a thinner insulated WarmHammock is about the best
                      >>approach to an underquilt and eliminates the need to carry all of the
                      >>pad I have been carrying. It will probably be lighter than the ZHammock
                      >>plus its pad. I will still be carrying a 20x36 inch piece of pad that
                      >>can be used as the frame of my pack, as a pad in a shelter, and as a pad
                      >>to escape to the ground. However, many nights, the pad may stay in my
                      >>pack and allow me to pack up in the morning much easier. I also will
                      >>not need to fiddle with getting the pad to be situated in just the right
                      >>place between the layers of my hammock.
                      >>
                      >>Risk

                    • robi
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                        rick, exposure should not be too hard on the net!

                        i get laughed at here in hungary for hammocking, that is laughed at until
                        they try the hammocks.

                        your idea of a cd is great. but why not just keep all that info on line?
                        saves in the over head i would think.

                        once i get my cast off my hand i will try the warm hammock and a travel
                        pod...

                        now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                        summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters from
                        gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                        tyrying to sleep.

                        robi

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                          robi wrote:

                          >rick, exposure should not be too hard on the net!
                          >
                          >i get laughed at here in hungary for hammocking, that is laughed at until
                          >they try the hammocks.
                          >
                          >your idea of a cd is great. but why not just keep all that info on line?
                          >saves in the over head i would think.

                          LOL!
                          I am now making my way in life as an outdoor writer.
                          I can charge a little for the CDs and they can have big picture files
                          and audio files.

                          >once i get my cast off my hand i will try the warm hammock and a travel
                          >pod...
                          >
                          >now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                          >summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters from
                          >gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                          >tyrying to sleep.

                          Helps with mosquitoes and it really helps with condensation of sweat.
                          It is a much drier way to sleep in a hammock.

                          Rick
                        • jwj32542
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi <beanco@m...> wrote:
                            > now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                            > summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters
                            from
                            > gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive
                            when
                            > tyrying to sleep.

                            Hammocks are so cheap to make, why not make a WarmHammock AND a
                            regular old RN hammock?

                            I have the WarmHammock (which I still have to redo because I made
                            the baffles too small) and a sock version of the TravelPod (no
                            zipper) for the cold nights.

                            When it warms up, I plan to take just use the TravelPod and a normal
                            RN hammock, probably with the NoSniveller for a top quilt. The
                            TravelPod stuffs to softball size and will be decent insulation for
                            unexpectedly cold summer nights...just like the Garlington Taco
                            before underquilts came along. And it'll keep the skeeters off. If
                            it gets colder, I'll rig the NS as the underquilt, use the TravelPod
                            and sleep in my clothes.

                            Of note, the Nest/NoSniveller combo has taken me to the upper 30s
                            with no problems. I made the WarmHammock just for the fun of making
                            something new, but I think the down-insulated Nest will compress
                            better and be lighter (for comparable warmth) than my primaloft
                            WarmHammock. But for the price and ease of construction, the
                            WarmHammock rocks!

                            Jeff
                          • beanco@mail.tvnet.hu
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 16, 2005
                              jeff,

                              what is the rn hammock?

                              as to cost . yeah they are cheap to make compared to buying them. but i live
                              in hungary. there was only one place that sold suitable material... it
                              appesars they have gone out of business... thatleaves me with mail
                              ordering... i will chec into ... but i really want a one all solution....

                              robi

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi <beanco@m...> wrote:
                              >> now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                              >> summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters
                              > from
                              >> gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive
                              > when
                              >> tyrying to sleep.
                              >
                              > Hammocks are so cheap to make, why not make a WarmHammock AND a
                              > regular old RN hammock?
                              >
                              > I have the WarmHammock (which I still have to redo because I made
                              > the baffles too small) and a sock version of the TravelPod (no
                              > zipper) for the cold nights.
                              >
                              > When it warms up, I plan to take just use the TravelPod and a normal
                              > RN hammock, probably with the NoSniveller for a top quilt. The
                              > TravelPod stuffs to softball size and will be decent insulation for
                              > unexpectedly cold summer nights...just like the Garlington Taco
                              > before underquilts came along. And it'll keep the skeeters off. If
                              > it gets colder, I'll rig the NS as the underquilt, use the TravelPod
                              > and sleep in my clothes.
                              >
                              > Of note, the Nest/NoSniveller combo has taken me to the upper 30s
                              > with no problems. I made the WarmHammock just for the fun of making
                              > something new, but I think the down-insulated Nest will compress
                              > better and be lighter (for comparable warmth) than my primaloft
                              > WarmHammock. But for the price and ease of construction, the
                              > WarmHammock rocks!
                              >
                              > Jeff

                              > Give the gift of life to a sick child.
                              > Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
                              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/z1TolB/TM

                            • jwj32542
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 16, 2005
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, beanco@m... wrote:
                                > what is the rn hammock?

                                Ripstop Nylon. You can use Nylon Taffeta, too.

                                > but i live
                                > in hungary. there was only one place that sold suitable
                                material...

                                How much does it cost to mail from the US to Hungary? I'm sure if
                                you offered to pay the cost, someone here could find you some $1/yd
                                Walmart fabric and mail it to you. That would probably still end up
                                being cheaper than mail-ordering full-price nylon and paying them
                                S&H. Of course, you'd have to settle for the weight/color of what
                                was in the bargain bin, but if you can make a hammock for $15 total
                                it's not a big deal.

                                > but i really want a one all solution....

                                I hope you find it. I look at it like sleeping bags - you wouldn't
                                take a summer bag to the Colorado mountains in winter, but you also
                                wouldn't take a winter bag on the Florida Trail unless you wanted to
                                sweat yourself to death!

                                Hammocks are so cheap, light and small when stuffed that having
                                several options is the solution I've found to work for me.

                                Jeff
                              • robi
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 17, 2005
                                  hey risk.

                                  > LOL!
                                  > I am now making my way in life as an outdoor writer.
                                  > I can charge a little for the CDs and they can have big picture files
                                  > and audio files.

                                  getcha... good luck in the new career!

                                  >> ... gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                                  >> tyrying to sleep.
                                  >>

                                  > Helps with mosquitoes and it really helps with condensation of sweat.
                                  > It is a much drier way to sleep in a hammock.

                                  well, if i do not wake up cold and i do not get eaten alive and to top it
                                  offf i do not get slimey, sticky, sweaty condensatio gucky feel i am sold!

                                  robi

                                  > Rick

                                • robi
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 17, 2005
                                    gettting the cheap good from wally wor;d had not occured to me! i iwqll
                                    give it some thoguht...

                                    thanks

                                    robi

                                    ps.shipping, esp surface, ain't that bad...