Re: ZHammoch Project Photos

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > Congrats on your first hammock. The edges look a little floppy.
      > Perhaps you can try rewhipping each end and pulling the edges out a
      > couple of inches on each side. Then try hanging the hammock with
      > increasing amounts of sag until you can sleep across the hammock
      > almost flat. I haven't experimented with the Rick's double bottom
      > hammock, but maybe once you determine your diagonal sweet spot, you
      > can insert your insulation to match. Also, once you determine the
      > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
      > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.

      Thank you for your input.

      I attempted to find that "diagonal sweet spot" last night to no avail.
      Which leads me to thinking it may be too short - I will try
      re-whipping the ends - I did follow that!

      The "floppy edges" are (I think) because of the pads being in there.

      "Increasing amounts of sag" --- OK... I assumed that one neede to
      hang it *taut*...? Perhaps with more sag, I will have more room to
      tose-and-turn.

      Many Thanks!

      By the time Trail Fest in Hot Springs rolls around, I will have a more
      "finished" product and may have figured this out.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
        wrote:
        > "Increasing amounts of sag" --- OK... I assumed that one neede to
        > hang it *taut*...? Perhaps with more sag, I will have more room to
        > tose-and-turn.

        the tighter you string the hammock the more shoulder squeeze you get
        and the less you are able to lie at a diagonal across the centerline
        of the hammock. Try finding some trees that are closer together and
        hang the hammock with 'too much' sag. Try it, then tie it a little
        tighter. You *will* find a comfortable tightness. When you do, tie
        a permanent ridgeline to help you remember.
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
          <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > Also, once you determine the
          > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
          > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.

          Just re-read this...

          If I understand you correctly, a line from where the whipping is
          attached to the straps....? Or, where the straps are tied off at the
          trees...?

          Thanks!

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
            wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
            > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > > Also, once you determine the
            > > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
            > > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.
            >
            > Just re-read this...
            >
            > If I understand you correctly, a line from where the whipping is
            > attached to the straps....? Or, where the straps are tied off at
            the
            > trees...?

            Yes, where the whipping is attached to the straps, a la the
            Hennessey Hammock. This is a patented feature of the HH, and so
            can't be used by other hammock manufacturers, except for us home
            brewers.