Re: ZHammoch Project Photos

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
      wrote:

      > For those who are interested, I have posted some photos (J.D.
      ZHammock
      > Project)....

      Congrats on your first hammock. The edges look a little floppy.
      Perhaps you can try rewhipping each end and pulling the edges out a
      couple of inches on each side. Then try hanging the hammock with
      increasing amounts of sag until you can sleep across the hammock
      almost flat. I haven't experimented with the Rick's double bottom
      hammock, but maybe once you determine your diagonal sweet spot, you
      can insert your insulation to match. Also, once you determine the
      proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
      setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > Congrats on your first hammock. The edges look a little floppy.
        > Perhaps you can try rewhipping each end and pulling the edges out a
        > couple of inches on each side. Then try hanging the hammock with
        > increasing amounts of sag until you can sleep across the hammock
        > almost flat. I haven't experimented with the Rick's double bottom
        > hammock, but maybe once you determine your diagonal sweet spot, you
        > can insert your insulation to match. Also, once you determine the
        > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
        > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.

        Thank you for your input.

        I attempted to find that "diagonal sweet spot" last night to no avail.
        Which leads me to thinking it may be too short - I will try
        re-whipping the ends - I did follow that!

        The "floppy edges" are (I think) because of the pads being in there.

        "Increasing amounts of sag" --- OK... I assumed that one neede to
        hang it *taut*...? Perhaps with more sag, I will have more room to
        tose-and-turn.

        Many Thanks!

        By the time Trail Fest in Hot Springs rolls around, I will have a more
        "finished" product and may have figured this out.

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
          wrote:
          > "Increasing amounts of sag" --- OK... I assumed that one neede to
          > hang it *taut*...? Perhaps with more sag, I will have more room to
          > tose-and-turn.

          the tighter you string the hammock the more shoulder squeeze you get
          and the less you are able to lie at a diagonal across the centerline
          of the hammock. Try finding some trees that are closer together and
          hang the hammock with 'too much' sag. Try it, then tie it a little
          tighter. You *will* find a comfortable tightness. When you do, tie
          a permanent ridgeline to help you remember.
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > Also, once you determine the
            > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
            > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.

            Just re-read this...

            If I understand you correctly, a line from where the whipping is
            attached to the straps....? Or, where the straps are tied off at the
            trees...?

            Thanks!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
              wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
              > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
              > > Also, once you determine the
              > > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
              > > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.
              >
              > Just re-read this...
              >
              > If I understand you correctly, a line from where the whipping is
              > attached to the straps....? Or, where the straps are tied off at
              the
              > trees...?

              Yes, where the whipping is attached to the straps, a la the
              Hennessey Hammock. This is a patented feature of the HH, and so
              can't be used by other hammock manufacturers, except for us home
              brewers.