Re: Fwd: Using silk for hammocks

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > The Down proof-ness of the silk: I used 800+ Down and
      > have very few feathers. I based my comments about the
      > silk as a baffle material upon the number of feathers
      > that get out of my new WM Down Sleeping Bag. I have
      > treated my silk baffles pretty harsh at times and
      > haven't had a problem losing enough Down to worry
      > about it. My Down baffles are also inside a sleeve
      > and this may help in the "Down Proof" ness of how I
      > use it. This really gives me two layers of material.
      > What kind of Down are you using?

      good to hear from you Bill. I am using about 1/3 of the feathers
      from a wwII, army mummy bag. After I transferred the feathers from
      my old silnylon bag to the silk bag I sewed up the silk bag and
      spread it on the floor. It lofted beautifully, and I said to
      myself, this could make a great quilt for inside the hammock, and I
      climbed under it. As I did, I noticed that some powder pushed
      through the silk, and on closer inspection there were also some
      extremely fine feathers trying to work through. It may not be a
      problem, I just need to try it for a while and see what is going
      on. At this point, I'm certain this pad will work extremely well
      inside the GI shell. It weighs about 12 ounces and should insulate
      well to about 10*F, perhaps lower.

      Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
    • Paul Kaercher
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
        Hi Ray,
        What size is your 10-mm silk hammock and what does it weigh?
        I made one out of 8-mm silk 9' X 54" (before hemming the edges) and it
        weighs 5 1/4 oz without rope or tree huggers.
        My next hammock may be out of 10-mm silk if the weight difference is not much.

        You said "I noticed that some powder pushed through the silk"
        from the down/feathers you recycled from an old GI bag.

        That fine powder may be frass from Dermestid beetles feasting on the
        feathers. I had to throw out my old Army bags because the dust/frass
        set off my wife's "hay fever" such that she could hardly breath.

        So if you have allergies be aware that those old bags may contain allergins
        that may affect you.
        Just something to keep in mind.

        Paul
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher"
          <yomas_1@h...> wrote:

          > Hi Ray,
          > What size is your 10-mm silk hammock and what does it weigh?
          > I made one out of 8-mm silk 9' X 54" (before hemming the edges)
          and it
          > weighs 5 1/4 oz without rope or tree huggers.
          > My next hammock may be out of 10-mm silk if the weight difference
          is not much.

          The hemmed size of my hammock body is 10'3" x 52" and it weighs 7.4
          ounces. I wanted to try a slightly longer one this time having
          experimented with shorter ones for a while.

          > You said "I noticed that some powder pushed through the silk"
          > from the down/feathers you recycled from an old GI bag.
          >
          > That fine powder may be frass from Dermestid beetles feasting on
          the
          > feathers.

          I did not see any signs of insect activity. Perhaps it was just
          crushed feather powder. I will say that it was not pleasant to
          breath this dust. I think I'll take the bag outside and give it a
          good old fashioned 'dusting'.