Re: Result of my first adventure with the ZHammock

  • Paul Kaercher
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi J. D.

      For your "kinda "locking" my knees" problem" you might try making a pillow
      out of a stuff sack and extra cloths or anything soft, and placing it under your knees.
      It works for me, YMMV>

      Too minimize cold spots when lying on your side it sounds like you need a
      wider pad or pads.

      For possible solutions check out:

      Risk's Overlap Pad- http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

      or

      Sgt. Rocks Wing Pad- http://hikinghq.net/hammock/wing_pad.html

      I have used a Target blue pad, and at 27" wide I can sleep on my side without cold
      spots. However, in the temps. you are testing in, I would need 2 or 3 pads to stay warm.
      To avoid the weight & bulk of 2-3 pads I'm working on a DAM following
      Gardenville's (aka Bill Fornshell) clever design.
      Good luck with your testing.

      Paul
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
        JD:

        I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
        insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
        of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
        cold.

        The idea is to have a smallish hunk of thick pad that you
        can put where you need it. Not the dreamiest of sleep,
        having to rearrange stuff when you roll over, but better
        than frozen knees keeping you awake.

        Bear
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@h...>
          wrote:
          > For your "kinda "locking" my knees" problem" you might try making
          > a pillow out of a stuff sack and extra cloths or anything soft, and
          > placing it under your knees.
          > It works for me, YMMV>

          Thanks! "Rosaleen" had suggested that in an email just this morning.
          Took me a moment to "see" what you are talking about.

          > Too minimize cold spots when lying on your side it sounds like you
          > need a wider pad or pads.

          Yes... I've seen references to the wider pad idea several times here.

          > For possible solutions check out:
          >
          > Risk's Overlap Pad- http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

          Yep...!

          Will try again tonight.

          Thanks Very Much, Paul.

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
            wrote:

            > I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
            > insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
            > of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
            > cold.

            Thanks, Bear!

            Love the phrase "insulate moving targets"....<g>...! That describes
            everything to a "T" - Thanks!

            Wider pad(S) have also been suggested; but, if a small sit-pad would
            work....? Will try that too!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • Amy Skowronek
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
              On Feb 2, 2005, at 11:32 AM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
              >> insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
              >> of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
              >> cold.
              >
              > Thanks, Bear!
              >
              > Love the phrase "insulate moving targets"....<g>...! That describes
              > everything to a "T" - Thanks!
              >
              > Wider pad(S) have also been suggested; but, if a small sit-pad would
              > work....? Will try that too!

              I use my sit-pad under my feet, which are always cold. I like to sleep
              on my side so I stuff a fleece jacket under my knees and/or butt.
              There's usually enough random clothing around to insulate the pokey-out
              bits.

              -amy
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                Good story J.D.

                A couple comments. If the hammock seems too short, tie one end 6
                inches higher than the other. Head goes at low end. It will not
                really change the sleeping angle much, but it will shift your bottom
                toward the head end by about 6 inches and give you lots more room.

                When temperatures are cold (usually very very cold) I take my winter
                jacket and use it as a pad for my lower legs between the layers of the
                double bottom. That helps with cold spots a whole lot.

                I often lie about a third on one side, with my face against one side
                or the other and my hips shifted toward one side, but without actually
                being on my side. It is a comfortable way for me to sleep. When I
                first tried sleeping on my side, I found that the side of the upper
                knee hurt. Crossing my feet seemed to take away that tenderness.

                Yes, putting the tarp up does keep the frost from forming on the
                hammock. It might make you much happier.

                You might want to take a look at my overlap pad, It keeps knees and
                shoulders much warmer than any other method I have found short of the
                WarmHammock.

                http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

                Risk

                > Happy Ground Hog Day!
                >
                > Results from my first ZHammock adventure:
                >
                > 9:30 PM - ....
              • robi
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                  rick,

                  just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
                  nights you go out int?

                  the zhammock or the warm hammock...

                  starting to get confused ....

                  robi

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
                    Robi,

                    Most of my winter camping has been with the ZHammock or the
                    Quarterweight Hammock. In the cold cold cold nights (Below 10 F) I have
                    used the WarmHammock so far. However, I am promising myself that I will
                    be using a thinner insulated WarmHammock this spring and summer for even
                    warm weather. It will have about an inch of insulation. I have all the
                    materials, and just need to take the time to sew it up.

                    Risk

                    robi wrote:

                    >rick,
                    >
                    >just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
                    >nights you go out int?
                    >
                    >the zhammock or the warm hammock...
                    >
                    >starting to get confused ....
                    >

                    >robi

                  • robi
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 13, 2005
                      rick,

                      why would you want to use the warm hamock for summer camping too?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 13, 2005
                        Hi Robi,

                        I have my first warm hammock, the one that is cranberry colored hung up in my spare bedroom.  I often nap in it.  I think it works great in warmish atmospheres too.

                        I believe that a thinner insulated WarmHammock is about the best approach to an underquilt and eliminates the need to carry all of the pad I have been carrying.  It will probably be lighter than the ZHammock plus its pad.  I will still be carrying a 20x36 inch piece of pad that can be used as the frame of my pack, as a pad in a shelter, and as a pad to escape to the ground. However, many nights, the pad may stay in my pack and allow me to pack up in the morning much easier.  I also will not need to fiddle with getting the pad to be situated in just the right place between the layers of my hammock.

                        Risk

                        robi wrote:

                        rick,

                        just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
                        nights you go out int?

                        the zhammock or the warm hammock...

                        starting to get confused ....

                        robi

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • robi
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                          hi risk,

                          so that WH u have on you site with the baffles on the side is what you
                          are talking about, right? with the right amount of insulation you could
                          keep warm down to failry cookl temps, then on those cokd nights break out
                          the travel pod????

                          robi

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                            Exactly.

                            BTW, I am thinking of documenting the heck out of my building the next
                            hammock and putting the sewing instructions, photos, and some audio
                            snippets on a CD. That way, detailed instructions could be available
                            for those who really want them as shareware. I am aware that the
                            WarmHammock is a bit more difficult than the other designs. I only know
                            of one other person who has taken my basic instructions and made the
                            hammock for themselves. The design is sound. I think it needs more
                            exposure.

                            Rick

                            robi wrote:

                            >hi risk,
                            >
                            >so that WH u have on you site with the baffles on the side is what you
                            >are talking about, right? with the right amount of insulation you could
                            >keep warm down to failry cookl temps, then on those cokd nights break out
                            >the travel pod????
                            >
                            >robi
                            >
                            >On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:38:10 -0500, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>Hi Robi,
                            >>
                            >>I have my first warm hammock, the one that is cranberry colored hung up
                            >>in my spare bedroom. I often nap in it. I think it works great in
                            >>warmish atmospheres too.
                            >>
                            >>I believe that a thinner insulated WarmHammock is about the best
                            >>approach to an underquilt and eliminates the need to carry all of the
                            >>pad I have been carrying. It will probably be lighter than the ZHammock
                            >>plus its pad. I will still be carrying a 20x36 inch piece of pad that
                            >>can be used as the frame of my pack, as a pad in a shelter, and as a pad
                            >>to escape to the ground. However, many nights, the pad may stay in my
                            >>pack and allow me to pack up in the morning much easier. I also will
                            >>not need to fiddle with getting the pad to be situated in just the right
                            >>place between the layers of my hammock.
                            >>
                            >>Risk

                          • robi
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                              rick, exposure should not be too hard on the net!

                              i get laughed at here in hungary for hammocking, that is laughed at until
                              they try the hammocks.

                              your idea of a cd is great. but why not just keep all that info on line?
                              saves in the over head i would think.

                              once i get my cast off my hand i will try the warm hammock and a travel
                              pod...

                              now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                              summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters from
                              gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                              tyrying to sleep.

                              robi

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                                robi wrote:

                                >rick, exposure should not be too hard on the net!
                                >
                                >i get laughed at here in hungary for hammocking, that is laughed at until
                                >they try the hammocks.
                                >
                                >your idea of a cd is great. but why not just keep all that info on line?
                                >saves in the over head i would think.

                                LOL!
                                I am now making my way in life as an outdoor writer.
                                I can charge a little for the CDs and they can have big picture files
                                and audio files.

                                >once i get my cast off my hand i will try the warm hammock and a travel
                                >pod...
                                >
                                >now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                                >summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters from
                                >gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                                >tyrying to sleep.

                                Helps with mosquitoes and it really helps with condensation of sweat.
                                It is a much drier way to sleep in a hammock.

                                Rick
                              • jwj32542
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi <beanco@m...> wrote:
                                  > now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                                  > summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters
                                  from
                                  > gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive
                                  when
                                  > tyrying to sleep.

                                  Hammocks are so cheap to make, why not make a WarmHammock AND a
                                  regular old RN hammock?

                                  I have the WarmHammock (which I still have to redo because I made
                                  the baffles too small) and a sock version of the TravelPod (no
                                  zipper) for the cold nights.

                                  When it warms up, I plan to take just use the TravelPod and a normal
                                  RN hammock, probably with the NoSniveller for a top quilt. The
                                  TravelPod stuffs to softball size and will be decent insulation for
                                  unexpectedly cold summer nights...just like the Garlington Taco
                                  before underquilts came along. And it'll keep the skeeters off. If
                                  it gets colder, I'll rig the NS as the underquilt, use the TravelPod
                                  and sleep in my clothes.

                                  Of note, the Nest/NoSniveller combo has taken me to the upper 30s
                                  with no problems. I made the WarmHammock just for the fun of making
                                  something new, but I think the down-insulated Nest will compress
                                  better and be lighter (for comparable warmth) than my primaloft
                                  WarmHammock. But for the price and ease of construction, the
                                  WarmHammock rocks!

                                  Jeff
                                • beanco@mail.tvnet.hu
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 16, 2005
                                    jeff,

                                    what is the rn hammock?

                                    as to cost . yeah they are cheap to make compared to buying them. but i live
                                    in hungary. there was only one place that sold suitable material... it
                                    appesars they have gone out of business... thatleaves me with mail
                                    ordering... i will chec into ... but i really want a one all solution....

                                    robi

                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi <beanco@m...> wrote:
                                    >> now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                                    >> summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters
                                    > from
                                    >> gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive
                                    > when
                                    >> tyrying to sleep.
                                    >
                                    > Hammocks are so cheap to make, why not make a WarmHammock AND a
                                    > regular old RN hammock?
                                    >
                                    > I have the WarmHammock (which I still have to redo because I made
                                    > the baffles too small) and a sock version of the TravelPod (no
                                    > zipper) for the cold nights.
                                    >
                                    > When it warms up, I plan to take just use the TravelPod and a normal
                                    > RN hammock, probably with the NoSniveller for a top quilt. The
                                    > TravelPod stuffs to softball size and will be decent insulation for
                                    > unexpectedly cold summer nights...just like the Garlington Taco
                                    > before underquilts came along. And it'll keep the skeeters off. If
                                    > it gets colder, I'll rig the NS as the underquilt, use the TravelPod
                                    > and sleep in my clothes.
                                    >
                                    > Of note, the Nest/NoSniveller combo has taken me to the upper 30s
                                    > with no problems. I made the WarmHammock just for the fun of making
                                    > something new, but I think the down-insulated Nest will compress
                                    > better and be lighter (for comparable warmth) than my primaloft
                                    > WarmHammock. But for the price and ease of construction, the
                                    > WarmHammock rocks!
                                    >
                                    > Jeff

                                    > Give the gift of life to a sick child.
                                    > Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
                                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/z1TolB/TM

                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 16, 2005
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, beanco@m... wrote:
                                      > what is the rn hammock?

                                      Ripstop Nylon. You can use Nylon Taffeta, too.

                                      > but i live
                                      > in hungary. there was only one place that sold suitable
                                      material...

                                      How much does it cost to mail from the US to Hungary? I'm sure if
                                      you offered to pay the cost, someone here could find you some $1/yd
                                      Walmart fabric and mail it to you. That would probably still end up
                                      being cheaper than mail-ordering full-price nylon and paying them
                                      S&H. Of course, you'd have to settle for the weight/color of what
                                      was in the bargain bin, but if you can make a hammock for $15 total
                                      it's not a big deal.

                                      > but i really want a one all solution....

                                      I hope you find it. I look at it like sleeping bags - you wouldn't
                                      take a summer bag to the Colorado mountains in winter, but you also
                                      wouldn't take a winter bag on the Florida Trail unless you wanted to
                                      sweat yourself to death!

                                      Hammocks are so cheap, light and small when stuffed that having
                                      several options is the solution I've found to work for me.

                                      Jeff
                                    • robi
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 17, 2005
                                        hey risk.

                                        > LOL!
                                        > I am now making my way in life as an outdoor writer.
                                        > I can charge a little for the CDs and they can have big picture files
                                        > and audio files.

                                        getcha... good luck in the new career!

                                        >> ... gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                                        >> tyrying to sleep.
                                        >>

                                        > Helps with mosquitoes and it really helps with condensation of sweat.
                                        > It is a much drier way to sleep in a hammock.

                                        well, if i do not wake up cold and i do not get eaten alive and to top it
                                        offf i do not get slimey, sticky, sweaty condensatio gucky feel i am sold!

                                        robi

                                        > Rick

                                      • robi
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 17, 2005
                                          gettting the cheap good from wally wor;d had not occured to me! i iwqll
                                          give it some thoguht...

                                          thanks

                                          robi

                                          ps.shipping, esp surface, ain't that bad...