Result of my first adventure with the ZHammock

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
      Happy Ground Hog Day!

      Results from my first ZHammock adventure:

      9:30 PM - 02/01/05 - Temp 24 F - No wind - Clear sky

      Had set up my home made ZHammock in back yard earlier. Did not have
      tarp or other cover - the ZHammock was frost-encrusted when I went
      out. Not a major problem.

      Had 3/4 UL Thermarest and full sized CC blue foam pad in sleeve.
      Arranged 5 degree sleeping bag in ZHammock unzipped except for bottom
      foot area. Sat down and rather easily got the bag zipped around me.

      Clothes: poly top & bottoms plus fleece top & bottoms, fleece sox plus
      wool sox, fleece balaclava.

      5 - 10 minutes of fidgeting around - Quickly learned what everyone
      means in regards to "cold spots" and solved that by getting my bag all
      around me.

      I can fall asleep most any time & place; so, I was asleep very soon.
      Warm & Comfortable.

      About 11:45 PM, I woke up because my legs were aching. Found that it
      is necessary to sleep on my back - otherwise, my butt or back or
      knees/legs were in contact with the sides and no pad to prevent very
      cold spots. Tried to curl up a bit (fetal position); but, again - very
      cold spots.
      Could not stretch out... Hard to describe; but: On my back, my heels
      were solidly against bottom which forced my legs straight - kinda
      "locking" my knees. Turning ever so slightly one way or the other put
      me into contact with sides and the cold. Altho' warm, my lower back
      was cramped a bit from sleeping on my back - the "U" shape of
      hanging...? Unable to lie on my side and stay warm.

      Attempted many positions to relieve slight pain in legs & back to no
      avail. After 15-20 minutes had to give up and go inside. A few
      minutes of stretching while standing and my back & legs were fine.
      Still had some soreness in my legs at 5:00 AM, as if I had been on a
      log uphill climb.

      Low Temp last night was 18 F per my bulb-type min-max thermometer -
      Got over three hours of uninterrupted sleep.

      Conclusions: No problem keeping warm. *MUST* be on my back. Cannot
      lie on my side nor curl up. Should cover hammock BEFORE the frost
      gets to it!

      Guessing here: Maybe the length is too short...? I am under 6 feet
      tall now and shrinking...<age thing>...<g>... Rick's instructions
      mentions that he is 6 feet; so, it should be long enough. I am
      wondering if my inability to stretch out or curl up a leg is because I
      need more length...?

      Thanks!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • ANDREW VANEES
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
        J.D saw posting like this on other websites about people having their legs lock up in hammock. One persons suggestion was to put a pillow, boots or cloths
        under your knees so this doesn't happen.  I, myself have to see what happens on the trail as I have yet to use hammock for extended periods and my hike of the A.T starts on March 15.

        In Regards,

        Andrew van Ees

      • Paul Kaercher
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
          Hi J. D.

          For your "kinda "locking" my knees" problem" you might try making a pillow
          out of a stuff sack and extra cloths or anything soft, and placing it under your knees.
          It works for me, YMMV>

          Too minimize cold spots when lying on your side it sounds like you need a
          wider pad or pads.

          For possible solutions check out:

          Risk's Overlap Pad- http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

          or

          Sgt. Rocks Wing Pad- http://hikinghq.net/hammock/wing_pad.html

          I have used a Target blue pad, and at 27" wide I can sleep on my side without cold
          spots. However, in the temps. you are testing in, I would need 2 or 3 pads to stay warm.
          To avoid the weight & bulk of 2-3 pads I'm working on a DAM following
          Gardenville's (aka Bill Fornshell) clever design.
          Good luck with your testing.

          Paul
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
            JD:

            I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
            insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
            of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
            cold.

            The idea is to have a smallish hunk of thick pad that you
            can put where you need it. Not the dreamiest of sleep,
            having to rearrange stuff when you roll over, but better
            than frozen knees keeping you awake.

            Bear
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@h...>
              wrote:
              > For your "kinda "locking" my knees" problem" you might try making
              > a pillow out of a stuff sack and extra cloths or anything soft, and
              > placing it under your knees.
              > It works for me, YMMV>

              Thanks! "Rosaleen" had suggested that in an email just this morning.
              Took me a moment to "see" what you are talking about.

              > Too minimize cold spots when lying on your side it sounds like you
              > need a wider pad or pads.

              Yes... I've seen references to the wider pad idea several times here.

              > For possible solutions check out:
              >
              > Risk's Overlap Pad- http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

              Yep...!

              Will try again tonight.

              Thanks Very Much, Paul.

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
                wrote:

                > I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
                > insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
                > of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
                > cold.

                Thanks, Bear!

                Love the phrase "insulate moving targets"....<g>...! That describes
                everything to a "T" - Thanks!

                Wider pad(S) have also been suggested; but, if a small sit-pad would
                work....? Will try that too!

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • Amy Skowronek
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                  On Feb 2, 2005, at 11:32 AM, J.D. Hoessle wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell" <dchinell@m...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> I've used a 1/2-inch thick sit pad of blue CC foam to
                  >> insulate moving targets. I just throw it into the mix on top
                  >> of everything, then jam it wherever my knees or elbows are
                  >> cold.
                  >
                  > Thanks, Bear!
                  >
                  > Love the phrase "insulate moving targets"....<g>...! That describes
                  > everything to a "T" - Thanks!
                  >
                  > Wider pad(S) have also been suggested; but, if a small sit-pad would
                  > work....? Will try that too!

                  I use my sit-pad under my feet, which are always cold. I like to sleep
                  on my side so I stuff a fleece jacket under my knees and/or butt.
                  There's usually enough random clothing around to insulate the pokey-out
                  bits.

                  -amy
                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Good story J.D.

                    A couple comments. If the hammock seems too short, tie one end 6
                    inches higher than the other. Head goes at low end. It will not
                    really change the sleeping angle much, but it will shift your bottom
                    toward the head end by about 6 inches and give you lots more room.

                    When temperatures are cold (usually very very cold) I take my winter
                    jacket and use it as a pad for my lower legs between the layers of the
                    double bottom. That helps with cold spots a whole lot.

                    I often lie about a third on one side, with my face against one side
                    or the other and my hips shifted toward one side, but without actually
                    being on my side. It is a comfortable way for me to sleep. When I
                    first tried sleeping on my side, I found that the side of the upper
                    knee hurt. Crossing my feet seemed to take away that tenderness.

                    Yes, putting the tarp up does keep the frost from forming on the
                    hammock. It might make you much happier.

                    You might want to take a look at my overlap pad, It keeps knees and
                    shoulders much warmer than any other method I have found short of the
                    WarmHammock.

                    http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

                    Risk

                    > Happy Ground Hog Day!
                    >
                    > Results from my first ZHammock adventure:
                    >
                    > 9:30 PM - ....
                  • robi
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                      rick,

                      just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
                      nights you go out int?

                      the zhammock or the warm hammock...

                      starting to get confused ....

                      robi

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
                        Robi,

                        Most of my winter camping has been with the ZHammock or the
                        Quarterweight Hammock. In the cold cold cold nights (Below 10 F) I have
                        used the WarmHammock so far. However, I am promising myself that I will
                        be using a thinner insulated WarmHammock this spring and summer for even
                        warm weather. It will have about an inch of insulation. I have all the
                        materials, and just need to take the time to sew it up.

                        Risk

                        robi wrote:

                        >rick,
                        >
                        >just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
                        >nights you go out int?
                        >
                        >the zhammock or the warm hammock...
                        >
                        >starting to get confused ....
                        >

                        >robi

                      • robi
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 13, 2005
                          rick,

                          why would you want to use the warm hamock for summer camping too?

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 13, 2005
                            Hi Robi,

                            I have my first warm hammock, the one that is cranberry colored hung up in my spare bedroom.  I often nap in it.  I think it works great in warmish atmospheres too.

                            I believe that a thinner insulated WarmHammock is about the best approach to an underquilt and eliminates the need to carry all of the pad I have been carrying.  It will probably be lighter than the ZHammock plus its pad.  I will still be carrying a 20x36 inch piece of pad that can be used as the frame of my pack, as a pad in a shelter, and as a pad to escape to the ground. However, many nights, the pad may stay in my pack and allow me to pack up in the morning much easier.  I also will not need to fiddle with getting the pad to be situated in just the right place between the layers of my hammock.

                            Risk

                            robi wrote:

                            rick,

                            just which of yoru hammocks do you use in the cold cold cold wintery
                            nights you go out int?

                            the zhammock or the warm hammock...

                            starting to get confused ....

                            robi

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • robi
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                              hi risk,

                              so that WH u have on you site with the baffles on the side is what you
                              are talking about, right? with the right amount of insulation you could
                              keep warm down to failry cookl temps, then on those cokd nights break out
                              the travel pod????

                              robi

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                                Exactly.

                                BTW, I am thinking of documenting the heck out of my building the next
                                hammock and putting the sewing instructions, photos, and some audio
                                snippets on a CD. That way, detailed instructions could be available
                                for those who really want them as shareware. I am aware that the
                                WarmHammock is a bit more difficult than the other designs. I only know
                                of one other person who has taken my basic instructions and made the
                                hammock for themselves. The design is sound. I think it needs more
                                exposure.

                                Rick

                                robi wrote:

                                >hi risk,
                                >
                                >so that WH u have on you site with the baffles on the side is what you
                                >are talking about, right? with the right amount of insulation you could
                                >keep warm down to failry cookl temps, then on those cokd nights break out
                                >the travel pod????
                                >
                                >robi
                                >
                                >On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:38:10 -0500, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >>Hi Robi,
                                >>
                                >>I have my first warm hammock, the one that is cranberry colored hung up
                                >>in my spare bedroom. I often nap in it. I think it works great in
                                >>warmish atmospheres too.
                                >>
                                >>I believe that a thinner insulated WarmHammock is about the best
                                >>approach to an underquilt and eliminates the need to carry all of the
                                >>pad I have been carrying. It will probably be lighter than the ZHammock
                                >>plus its pad. I will still be carrying a 20x36 inch piece of pad that
                                >>can be used as the frame of my pack, as a pad in a shelter, and as a pad
                                >>to escape to the ground. However, many nights, the pad may stay in my
                                >>pack and allow me to pack up in the morning much easier. I also will
                                >>not need to fiddle with getting the pad to be situated in just the right
                                >>place between the layers of my hammock.
                                >>
                                >>Risk

                              • robi
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                                  rick, exposure should not be too hard on the net!

                                  i get laughed at here in hungary for hammocking, that is laughed at until
                                  they try the hammocks.

                                  your idea of a cd is great. but why not just keep all that info on line?
                                  saves in the over head i would think.

                                  once i get my cast off my hand i will try the warm hammock and a travel
                                  pod...

                                  now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                                  summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters from
                                  gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                                  tyrying to sleep.

                                  robi

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                                    robi wrote:

                                    >rick, exposure should not be too hard on the net!
                                    >
                                    >i get laughed at here in hungary for hammocking, that is laughed at until
                                    >they try the hammocks.
                                    >
                                    >your idea of a cd is great. but why not just keep all that info on line?
                                    >saves in the over head i would think.

                                    LOL!
                                    I am now making my way in life as an outdoor writer.
                                    I can charge a little for the CDs and they can have big picture files
                                    and audio files.

                                    >once i get my cast off my hand i will try the warm hammock and a travel
                                    >pod...
                                    >
                                    >now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                                    >summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters from
                                    >gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                                    >tyrying to sleep.

                                    Helps with mosquitoes and it really helps with condensation of sweat.
                                    It is a much drier way to sleep in a hammock.

                                    Rick
                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 15, 2005
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi <beanco@m...> wrote:
                                      > now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                                      > summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters
                                      from
                                      > gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive
                                      when
                                      > tyrying to sleep.

                                      Hammocks are so cheap to make, why not make a WarmHammock AND a
                                      regular old RN hammock?

                                      I have the WarmHammock (which I still have to redo because I made
                                      the baffles too small) and a sock version of the TravelPod (no
                                      zipper) for the cold nights.

                                      When it warms up, I plan to take just use the TravelPod and a normal
                                      RN hammock, probably with the NoSniveller for a top quilt. The
                                      TravelPod stuffs to softball size and will be decent insulation for
                                      unexpectedly cold summer nights...just like the Garlington Taco
                                      before underquilts came along. And it'll keep the skeeters off. If
                                      it gets colder, I'll rig the NS as the underquilt, use the TravelPod
                                      and sleep in my clothes.

                                      Of note, the Nest/NoSniveller combo has taken me to the upper 30s
                                      with no problems. I made the WarmHammock just for the fun of making
                                      something new, but I think the down-insulated Nest will compress
                                      better and be lighter (for comparable warmth) than my primaloft
                                      WarmHammock. But for the price and ease of construction, the
                                      WarmHammock rocks!

                                      Jeff
                                    • beanco@mail.tvnet.hu
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 16, 2005
                                        jeff,

                                        what is the rn hammock?

                                        as to cost . yeah they are cheap to make compared to buying them. but i live
                                        in hungary. there was only one place that sold suitable material... it
                                        appesars they have gone out of business... thatleaves me with mail
                                        ordering... i will chec into ... but i really want a one all solution....

                                        robi

                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi <beanco@m...> wrote:
                                        >> now my big question is will the warm hammock be too much forhot
                                        >> summernigts? or will the extra thicknerss at least keep skeeters
                                        > from
                                        >> gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive
                                        > when
                                        >> tyrying to sleep.
                                        >
                                        > Hammocks are so cheap to make, why not make a WarmHammock AND a
                                        > regular old RN hammock?
                                        >
                                        > I have the WarmHammock (which I still have to redo because I made
                                        > the baffles too small) and a sock version of the TravelPod (no
                                        > zipper) for the cold nights.
                                        >
                                        > When it warms up, I plan to take just use the TravelPod and a normal
                                        > RN hammock, probably with the NoSniveller for a top quilt. The
                                        > TravelPod stuffs to softball size and will be decent insulation for
                                        > unexpectedly cold summer nights...just like the Garlington Taco
                                        > before underquilts came along. And it'll keep the skeeters off. If
                                        > it gets colder, I'll rig the NS as the underquilt, use the TravelPod
                                        > and sleep in my clothes.
                                        >
                                        > Of note, the Nest/NoSniveller combo has taken me to the upper 30s
                                        > with no problems. I made the WarmHammock just for the fun of making
                                        > something new, but I think the down-insulated Nest will compress
                                        > better and be lighter (for comparable warmth) than my primaloft
                                        > WarmHammock. But for the price and ease of construction, the
                                        > WarmHammock rocks!
                                        >
                                        > Jeff

                                        > Give the gift of life to a sick child.
                                        > Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
                                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/z1TolB/TM

                                      • jwj32542
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 16, 2005
                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, beanco@m... wrote:
                                          > what is the rn hammock?

                                          Ripstop Nylon. You can use Nylon Taffeta, too.

                                          > but i live
                                          > in hungary. there was only one place that sold suitable
                                          material...

                                          How much does it cost to mail from the US to Hungary? I'm sure if
                                          you offered to pay the cost, someone here could find you some $1/yd
                                          Walmart fabric and mail it to you. That would probably still end up
                                          being cheaper than mail-ordering full-price nylon and paying them
                                          S&H. Of course, you'd have to settle for the weight/color of what
                                          was in the bargain bin, but if you can make a hammock for $15 total
                                          it's not a big deal.

                                          > but i really want a one all solution....

                                          I hope you find it. I look at it like sleeping bags - you wouldn't
                                          take a summer bag to the Colorado mountains in winter, but you also
                                          wouldn't take a winter bag on the Florida Trail unless you wanted to
                                          sweat yourself to death!

                                          Hammocks are so cheap, light and small when stuffed that having
                                          several options is the solution I've found to work for me.

                                          Jeff
                                        • robi
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 17, 2005
                                            hey risk.

                                            > LOL!
                                            > I am now making my way in life as an outdoor writer.
                                            > I can charge a little for the CDs and they can have big picture files
                                            > and audio files.

                                            getcha... good luck in the new career!

                                            >> ... gettting ast me hrough the hammock... i hate being eaten alive when
                                            >> tyrying to sleep.
                                            >>

                                            > Helps with mosquitoes and it really helps with condensation of sweat.
                                            > It is a much drier way to sleep in a hammock.

                                            well, if i do not wake up cold and i do not get eaten alive and to top it
                                            offf i do not get slimey, sticky, sweaty condensatio gucky feel i am sold!

                                            robi

                                            > Rick

                                          • robi
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 17, 2005
                                              gettting the cheap good from wally wor;d had not occured to me! i iwqll
                                              give it some thoguht...

                                              thanks

                                              robi

                                              ps.shipping, esp surface, ain't that bad...