RE: [Hammock Camping] Klondike OFFTOPIC

  • Steve Joiner
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Funny story Greg!  Here in the south, our goal is to give the scouts a 'polar bear' experience - one where the temps never go over 32 degrees in a 24 hr period - not much opp'ty for a Klondike.  We were on top of Shining Rock Mtn 2 weekends ago.  Somewhere south of 0 Sun morning, w/ ~30+mph wind...brrrr!  Unfortunately, I haven't figured out my hammock for under 10 degrees or so - so left it home.  My dog and I spent the night in a BD Betamid.  Everyone did fine.... except one boy (17 yo Eagle Scout!), who for some reason, didn't put on gloves Sun morning while packing up.  We (the adults) didn't really pay attention - were more concerned about the 13 yo on his 1st backpacking trip, and getting our own gear packed up so we could start walking and warm up.  By the time we got started on the trail, we realized he had frostbitten fingers.  He was proudly displaying his black fingers last night at the troop meeting - four frostbitten fingers (back to the first knuckle) on his right hand!
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
        For our Klondike, it got down below 0°. 150 scouts and leaders, Snow
        caves and other innovative shelters, but no hammocks. (I chickened
        out). Four kids were taken home during the night. I blame the leaders
        for not preparing their kids for the experience.

        Zip me an Email off line and I'll show pictures and our games.

        Ralph in Pocatello.