ZHammoch Project Photos

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      For those who are interested, I have posted some photos (J.D. ZHammock
      Project)....

      The first photo shows a rather unique knot & rope that I have used to
      attach one end to a rather large tree. Can this knot be patented....?

      Another shows how the hammock "opens up" when I put a 3/4 UL
      Thermarest *AND* a full sized CC blue foam pad in the sleeve.

      8:30 PM here - Forecast for the low teens - Getting ready to try
      sleeping in this thing tonight.

      My strategy is to attempt to lower my body temperature BEFORE going
      out there. Working on my third beer...<g>...

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
        wrote:

        > For those who are interested, I have posted some photos (J.D.
        ZHammock
        > Project)....

        Congrats on your first hammock. The edges look a little floppy.
        Perhaps you can try rewhipping each end and pulling the edges out a
        couple of inches on each side. Then try hanging the hammock with
        increasing amounts of sag until you can sleep across the hammock
        almost flat. I haven't experimented with the Rick's double bottom
        hammock, but maybe once you determine your diagonal sweet spot, you
        can insert your insulation to match. Also, once you determine the
        proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
        setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
          <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > Congrats on your first hammock. The edges look a little floppy.
          > Perhaps you can try rewhipping each end and pulling the edges out a
          > couple of inches on each side. Then try hanging the hammock with
          > increasing amounts of sag until you can sleep across the hammock
          > almost flat. I haven't experimented with the Rick's double bottom
          > hammock, but maybe once you determine your diagonal sweet spot, you
          > can insert your insulation to match. Also, once you determine the
          > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
          > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.

          Thank you for your input.

          I attempted to find that "diagonal sweet spot" last night to no avail.
          Which leads me to thinking it may be too short - I will try
          re-whipping the ends - I did follow that!

          The "floppy edges" are (I think) because of the pads being in there.

          "Increasing amounts of sag" --- OK... I assumed that one neede to
          hang it *taut*...? Perhaps with more sag, I will have more room to
          tose-and-turn.

          Many Thanks!

          By the time Trail Fest in Hot Springs rolls around, I will have a more
          "finished" product and may have figured this out.

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
            wrote:
            > "Increasing amounts of sag" --- OK... I assumed that one neede to
            > hang it *taut*...? Perhaps with more sag, I will have more room to
            > tose-and-turn.

            the tighter you string the hammock the more shoulder squeeze you get
            and the less you are able to lie at a diagonal across the centerline
            of the hammock. Try finding some trees that are closer together and
            hang the hammock with 'too much' sag. Try it, then tie it a little
            tighter. You *will* find a comfortable tightness. When you do, tie
            a permanent ridgeline to help you remember.
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
              <rgarling@y...> wrote:
              > Also, once you determine the
              > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
              > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.

              Just re-read this...

              If I understand you correctly, a line from where the whipping is
              attached to the straps....? Or, where the straps are tied off at the
              trees...?

              Thanks!

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
                wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                > > Also, once you determine the
                > > proper sag, I'd put a permanent, fixed ridge line across to make
                > > setting up faster, easier and more repeatable.
                >
                > Just re-read this...
                >
                > If I understand you correctly, a line from where the whipping is
                > attached to the straps....? Or, where the straps are tied off at
                the
                > trees...?

                Yes, where the whipping is attached to the straps, a la the
                Hennessey Hammock. This is a patented feature of the HH, and so
                can't be used by other hammock manufacturers, except for us home
                brewers.