Re: Fwd: Using silk for hammocks

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi Ray, I am very glad to hear you have tried the
      silk for a hammock. I have been home 2 weeks but the
      side effects of my Radiation and Chemo treatment
      program will take several months to a year to work out
      of my system. The good news is the cancer seems to be
      gone. I will start a bunch of tests in a couple of
      weeks to verify this. I also only lost about 2/3 of
      my hair but most of my beard. Eating will be a
      challenge for about a year but I am working on a trail
      menu that doesn't require any chewing.

      The 10mm silk should work well for your weight. I
      lost 23 pounds so I am now at 147 pounds. I am sure
      this will go back up some but the 8mm silk I used for
      my hammock should remain OK for my weight.

      The Down proof-ness of the silk: I used 800+ Down and
      have very few feathers. I based my comments about the
      silk as a baffle material upon the number of feathers
      that get out of my new WM Down Sleeping Bag. I have
      treated my silk baffles pretty harsh at times and
      haven't had a problem losing enough Down to worry
      about it. My Down baffles are also inside a sleeve
      and this may help in the "Down Proof" ness of how I
      use it. This really gives me two layers of material.
      What kind of Down are you using?

      For me, silk for a hammock started out as a very nice
      material for a summer hammock but it is so nice I
      don't expect to change to any other material. I have
      several new ideas I want to try and I am still
      working> on my Poly Tube DAM/Sleeping System. I am
      very close to having my first "0" degree system
      finished. I keep thinking of new things to try. I
      need to make one more change and then I can finish the
      first
      working prototype.

      I have been working on a fully breathable suspension
      system for my Titanium/Carbon Fiber External Frame
      Pack. I discovered a plastic mold-able material used
      in the medical field and was able to get enough
      samples to make a Hip belt, Shoulder Straps, and a
      Shoulder Support piece. I created a 3D form and
      molded this material into a Hip Belt, Shoulder
      Straps and a Shoulder Support piece that will wick
      moisture
      through it (lots of small holes in the stuff). It is
      very cool to wear and should be a big improvement for
      hot weather use. My primary Doctor is very
      interested> in how I have adapted this plastic
      material to a completely new use. I will finish this
      today and start wearing it as I am able to get back
      out walking or hiking.

      Bill in Texas

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > For me, silk for a hammock started out as a very nice
        > material for a summer hammock but it is so nice I
        > don't expect to change to any other material.

        Silk....? I gathered from the previous Post that there is a weight
        savings. But, doesn't silk absorb a lot of moisture...? Wouldn't
        that be a problem in both warm & cold temps; e.g., sweat, breathing,
        etc. ???

        > I am very close to having my first "0" degree system
        > finished. I keep thinking of new things to try. I
        > need to make one more change and then I can finish the
        > first
        > working prototype.

        OK.... A Zero degree system, huh? I will really look forward to
        reading about THAT!

        > I have been working on a fully breathable suspension
        > system for my Titanium/Carbon Fiber External Frame
        > Pack. I discovered a plastic mold-able material used
        > in the medical field

        Too Cool....!!!!

        > My primary Doctor is very
        > interested in how I have adapted this plastic
        > material to a completely new use. I will finish this
        > today and start wearing it as I am able to get back
        > out walking or hiking.

        Good Luck! My best wishes for a speedy return to the trail!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > The Down proof-ness of the silk: I used 800+ Down and
          > have very few feathers. I based my comments about the
          > silk as a baffle material upon the number of feathers
          > that get out of my new WM Down Sleeping Bag. I have
          > treated my silk baffles pretty harsh at times and
          > haven't had a problem losing enough Down to worry
          > about it. My Down baffles are also inside a sleeve
          > and this may help in the "Down Proof" ness of how I
          > use it. This really gives me two layers of material.
          > What kind of Down are you using?

          good to hear from you Bill. I am using about 1/3 of the feathers
          from a wwII, army mummy bag. After I transferred the feathers from
          my old silnylon bag to the silk bag I sewed up the silk bag and
          spread it on the floor. It lofted beautifully, and I said to
          myself, this could make a great quilt for inside the hammock, and I
          climbed under it. As I did, I noticed that some powder pushed
          through the silk, and on closer inspection there were also some
          extremely fine feathers trying to work through. It may not be a
          problem, I just need to try it for a while and see what is going
          on. At this point, I'm certain this pad will work extremely well
          inside the GI shell. It weighs about 12 ounces and should insulate
          well to about 10*F, perhaps lower.

          Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
        • Paul Kaercher
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            Hi Ray,
            What size is your 10-mm silk hammock and what does it weigh?
            I made one out of 8-mm silk 9' X 54" (before hemming the edges) and it
            weighs 5 1/4 oz without rope or tree huggers.
            My next hammock may be out of 10-mm silk if the weight difference is not much.

            You said "I noticed that some powder pushed through the silk"
            from the down/feathers you recycled from an old GI bag.

            That fine powder may be frass from Dermestid beetles feasting on the
            feathers. I had to throw out my old Army bags because the dust/frass
            set off my wife's "hay fever" such that she could hardly breath.

            So if you have allergies be aware that those old bags may contain allergins
            that may affect you.
            Just something to keep in mind.

            Paul
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher"
              <yomas_1@h...> wrote:

              > Hi Ray,
              > What size is your 10-mm silk hammock and what does it weigh?
              > I made one out of 8-mm silk 9' X 54" (before hemming the edges)
              and it
              > weighs 5 1/4 oz without rope or tree huggers.
              > My next hammock may be out of 10-mm silk if the weight difference
              is not much.

              The hemmed size of my hammock body is 10'3" x 52" and it weighs 7.4
              ounces. I wanted to try a slightly longer one this time having
              experimented with shorter ones for a while.

              > You said "I noticed that some powder pushed through the silk"
              > from the down/feathers you recycled from an old GI bag.
              >
              > That fine powder may be frass from Dermestid beetles feasting on
              the
              > feathers.

              I did not see any signs of insect activity. Perhaps it was just
              crushed feather powder. I will say that it was not pleasant to
              breath this dust. I think I'll take the bag outside and give it a
              good old fashioned 'dusting'.