RE: [Hammock Camping] big agnes insulated air core

  • Jackie Lynn Evans
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 3:37 AM

      Hello Scott,

      I have been using the insulated air core in my HH for about a year now.  I find that the pad, by itself is comfortable down to about 40 to 45 degrees.  I sleep directly on the pad, using my WM Megalite as a quilt.  I carry a piece of 20 inch by 30 inch closed cell foam to use under my hips and shoulders for lower temps.  I have found that the pad deflates some during the night due to air inside the pad contracting as it cools.  The air in the pad is initially very warm, as it comes from my lungs, so it naturally will contract as it cools.  I usually inflate the pad fully about an hour before going to bed, then re-inflate as I go to bed.  Even then there will be some contraction during the night.  By the morning the pad is usually about ¾ inflated (I have checked for leaks).  Two of my friends have this pad and report the same type of contraction.

      Jackie

      --
      Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

    • thecreekfisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 1:42 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I found a few posts about people using these. I already have one
        for
        > when I use a tent (gasp!!) so I was wondering if anyone has any
        tips
        > on using it in a hammock. I have the zirkel to couple it with so
        it
        > will stay in place, but was wonder if I should just minimally
        inflate
        > the pad?
        > Muchas gracias
        > scott

        I have the pad with the Horse Thief. I like to roll up my bag with
        the pad in place. This allows me to inflate the pad while I'm in my
        hammock with minimal fuss. I just lay on my back put the pad on top
        of me blow the sucker up.

        Do you have any kayaking experience? I find that sliding my pad
        around in the hammock while I'm on the pad is similar in feel to my
        kayak. I sit on my butt and then sort-pf scoot the pad just like I
        would scoot a kayak through swallow water snags.

        Also, I find that it is alot easier to get in the bag if I unzip the
        bag BEFORE I get in the hammock. I just sit on the bag, scoot it
        into place (lay down to test location and adjust if necessary),
        slide in, zip-up, and dose-off.

        Finally, it is much easier to zip the bag when the pad is fully
        inflated. When the pad bends in the hammock the zipper bends too
        which makes it hard to zip. you just sort-of have to flatten it out
        as you go.

        Those are my tips. Enjoy : )