Re: Spent the money, Rick.

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      > Congrats on your first hammock, JD! Isn't it addictive?!

      Thank You, Jeff -< I Think...>-

      > Soon you'll be making that dress everyone on this list told me to
      > make...

      Oh, Man... Imissed that part too! Does this have anything to do with
      the "Secret Handshake"...?

      > I got almost all of my sewing tips from this list or from websites
      > suggested by this list, so you're in the right place to learn.

      Or, in the right place to go MAD!

      > FWIW, I made my first double-layer hammock with a "somewhat
      > straight" stitch, too...also my first project. It's worked out
      > great so far, and it's more comfortable than my single-layer ones,
      > too.

      OK, that is encourageing to know - Thanks!

      Now, I have to dig around here tonight and locate the "24 inch 1/8th
      inch polyester cord" and whip myself into another frenzy.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005

        > Now, I have to dig around here tonight and locate the "24 inch 1/8th
        > inch polyester cord" and whip myself into another frenzy.
        >
        > Happy Trails,
        >
        > J.D.

        Congrats on the work so far J.D.

        For the cord, a 24 inch shoestring works fine. They even sell them in
        pairs. Cotton will mildew, so I buy the cord from the same place I get
        my hammock material

        BTW, the reason for the zstitch is that the polester thread (you did
        get good Guterman thread didn't you?) does not stretch as much as the
        nylon material. You may find that the side hems of your hammock seem
        really tight compared with the nylon while you are sitting in the
        hammock sideways. That is the thread in the hem.

        It usually works out OK for the hem, but in the body of the hammock,
        like what I use for the WarmHammock, Ed Speer's experience is that
        straight stitches tear the material, especially when they cross from
        one side to the other. The hem is a lot more comfortable with the
        zigzag stitch, IMHO...

        Next hammock, though I have patiently removed stitches the whole
        length of the hammock a number of times!

        Risk

        Rick
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
          > Congrats on the work so far J.D.

          Thank You!

          > For the cord, a 24 inch shoestring works fine. They even sell them
          > in pairs.

          ...hehehe! Yes, I did see your note on this in your instructions.

          > BTW, the reason for the zstitch is that the polester thread (you did
          > get good Guterman thread didn't you?) does not stretch as much as
          > the nylon material.

          Not the brand name "Guterman"; but, what seems to be high quality
          poly. Feel pretty confident that this will hold up.

          > You may find that the side hems of your hammock seem
          > really tight compared with the nylon while you are sitting in the
          > hammock sideways. That is the thread in the hem.

          Hmmmm.... I will let you know.

          > Next hammock, though I have patiently removed stitches the whole
          > length of the hammock a number of times!

          C'mon....!!! Not sure I could do that! If I had "patience", I would
          have been a doctor! I think I would be more apt to donate the
          material and buy new!

          Hopefully, I will have some testing feed-back by the weekend!

          Happy Ground Hog Day!

          J.D.