Spent the money, Rick.

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      OK, this kinda ties into the other Post (Materials) here today.

      Because of my error in feet versus yards, I did not get enough ripstop
      the first time for the ZHammock. Found some wally-world $1.00 / yard
      "ripstop-looking" stuff and mentioned it here. Rick made (The
      correct!) statement which was something to the effect: "Why take the
      chance?."

      So, I found another local fabric store and known-good ripstop was only
      $4.29 / yard.

      AND....!!!! Got it all sewed up!!!! Did I mention that I missed the
      instructions where it says to use a Zig_Zag stitch....? Seems like it
      will work with my "somewhat" straight stitching. This is my
      first-ever sewing adventure and if anyone here ever gets to see this
      project and starts laughing..... Well, I may just... Ahhh... Forget
      it...<g>...

      Let's see now. Figure in my time spent learning about that *BOBBIN
      THINGY* [&*%$#@%$&], my learning curve, sewing time thus far... Well,
      if I were to pay myself minimum wage, this is now an $852.75 hammock!

      OK.... On to the Whipping Post tonight! Ahhh... "Whipping" the ends
      together....<g>...

      Then, the testing of my *Gold-Plated-ZHammock*...!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
        Congrats on your first hammock, JD! Isn't it addictive?! Soon
        you'll be making that dress everyone on this list told me to make...

        I got almost all of my sewing tips from this list or from websites
        suggested by this list, so you're in the right place to learn.

        FWIW, I made my first double-layer hammock with a "somewhat
        straight" stitch, too...also my first project. It's worked out
        great so far, and it's more comfortable than my single-layer ones,
        too.

        Jeff

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
        wrote:

        > OK, this kinda ties into the other Post (Materials) here today.
        >
        > Because of my error in feet versus yards, I did not get enough
        ripstop
        > the first time for the ZHammock. Found some wally-world $1.00 /
        yard
        > "ripstop-looking" stuff and mentioned it here. Rick made (The
        > correct!) statement which was something to the effect: "Why take
        the
        > chance?."
        >
        > So, I found another local fabric store and known-good ripstop was
        only
        > $4.29 / yard.
        >
        > AND....!!!! Got it all sewed up!!!! Did I mention that I missed
        the
        > instructions where it says to use a Zig_Zag stitch....? Seems
        like it
        > will work with my "somewhat" straight stitching. This is my
        > first-ever sewing adventure and if anyone here ever gets to see
        this
        > project and starts laughing..... Well, I may just... Ahhh...
        Forget
        > it...<g>...
        >
        > Let's see now. Figure in my time spent learning about that *BOBBIN
        > THINGY* [&*%$#@%$&], my learning curve, sewing time thus far...
        Well,
        > if I were to pay myself minimum wage, this is now an $852.75
        hammock!

        > OK.... On to the Whipping Post tonight! Ahhh... "Whipping" the
        ends
        > together....<g>...
        >
        > Then, the testing of my *Gold-Plated-ZHammock*...!
        >
        > Happy Trails,
        >
        > J.D.
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
          > Congrats on your first hammock, JD! Isn't it addictive?!

          Thank You, Jeff -< I Think...>-

          > Soon you'll be making that dress everyone on this list told me to
          > make...

          Oh, Man... Imissed that part too! Does this have anything to do with
          the "Secret Handshake"...?

          > I got almost all of my sewing tips from this list or from websites
          > suggested by this list, so you're in the right place to learn.

          Or, in the right place to go MAD!

          > FWIW, I made my first double-layer hammock with a "somewhat
          > straight" stitch, too...also my first project. It's worked out
          > great so far, and it's more comfortable than my single-layer ones,
          > too.

          OK, that is encourageing to know - Thanks!

          Now, I have to dig around here tonight and locate the "24 inch 1/8th
          inch polyester cord" and whip myself into another frenzy.

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005

            > Now, I have to dig around here tonight and locate the "24 inch 1/8th
            > inch polyester cord" and whip myself into another frenzy.
            >
            > Happy Trails,
            >
            > J.D.

            Congrats on the work so far J.D.

            For the cord, a 24 inch shoestring works fine. They even sell them in
            pairs. Cotton will mildew, so I buy the cord from the same place I get
            my hammock material

            BTW, the reason for the zstitch is that the polester thread (you did
            get good Guterman thread didn't you?) does not stretch as much as the
            nylon material. You may find that the side hems of your hammock seem
            really tight compared with the nylon while you are sitting in the
            hammock sideways. That is the thread in the hem.

            It usually works out OK for the hem, but in the body of the hammock,
            like what I use for the WarmHammock, Ed Speer's experience is that
            straight stitches tear the material, especially when they cross from
            one side to the other. The hem is a lot more comfortable with the
            zigzag stitch, IMHO...

            Next hammock, though I have patiently removed stitches the whole
            length of the hammock a number of times!

            Risk

            Rick
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
              > Congrats on the work so far J.D.

              Thank You!

              > For the cord, a 24 inch shoestring works fine. They even sell them
              > in pairs.

              ...hehehe! Yes, I did see your note on this in your instructions.

              > BTW, the reason for the zstitch is that the polester thread (you did
              > get good Guterman thread didn't you?) does not stretch as much as
              > the nylon material.

              Not the brand name "Guterman"; but, what seems to be high quality
              poly. Feel pretty confident that this will hold up.

              > You may find that the side hems of your hammock seem
              > really tight compared with the nylon while you are sitting in the
              > hammock sideways. That is the thread in the hem.

              Hmmmm.... I will let you know.

              > Next hammock, though I have patiently removed stitches the whole
              > length of the hammock a number of times!

              C'mon....!!! Not sure I could do that! If I had "patience", I would
              have been a doctor! I think I would be more apt to donate the
              material and buy new!

              Hopefully, I will have some testing feed-back by the weekend!

              Happy Ground Hog Day!

              J.D.