big agnes insulated air core

  • schrochem
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hello,
      I found a few posts about people using these. I already have one for
      when I use a tent (gasp!!) so I was wondering if anyone has any tips
      on using it in a hammock. I have the zirkel to couple it with so it
      will stay in place, but was wonder if I should just minimally inflate
      the pad?
      Muchas gracias
      scott
    • Carl Iobst
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2005
        Scott,
        Inflate the BA pad about 3/4's. My suggestion is to
        use some 3/8" closed cell large enough for your upper
        torso to protect against 'shoulder wrap.'
        CEHI
        --- schrochem <schrochem@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I found a few posts about people using these. I
        > already have one for
        > when I use a tent (gasp!!) so I was wondering if
        > anyone has any tips
        > on using it in a hammock. I have the zirkel to
        > couple it with so it
        > will stay in place, but was wonder if I should just
        > minimally inflate
        > the pad?
        > Muchas gracias
        > scott

        =====
        Train virtual, live Real!!!
        ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • Jackie Lynn Evans
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005

          Hello Scott,

          I have been using the insulated air core in my HH for about a year now.  I find that the pad, by itself is comfortable down to about 40 to 45 degrees.  I sleep directly on the pad, using my WM Megalite as a quilt.  I carry a piece of 20 inch by 30 inch closed cell foam to use under my hips and shoulders for lower temps.  I have found that the pad deflates some during the night due to air inside the pad contracting as it cools.  The air in the pad is initially very warm, as it comes from my lungs, so it naturally will contract as it cools.  I usually inflate the pad fully about an hour before going to bed, then re-inflate as I go to bed.  Even then there will be some contraction during the night.  By the morning the pad is usually about ¾ inflated (I have checked for leaks).  Two of my friends have this pad and report the same type of contraction.

          Jackie

          --
          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

        • thecreekfisher
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...>
            wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I found a few posts about people using these. I already have one
            for
            > when I use a tent (gasp!!) so I was wondering if anyone has any
            tips
            > on using it in a hammock. I have the zirkel to couple it with so
            it
            > will stay in place, but was wonder if I should just minimally
            inflate
            > the pad?
            > Muchas gracias
            > scott

            I have the pad with the Horse Thief. I like to roll up my bag with
            the pad in place. This allows me to inflate the pad while I'm in my
            hammock with minimal fuss. I just lay on my back put the pad on top
            of me blow the sucker up.

            Do you have any kayaking experience? I find that sliding my pad
            around in the hammock while I'm on the pad is similar in feel to my
            kayak. I sit on my butt and then sort-pf scoot the pad just like I
            would scoot a kayak through swallow water snags.

            Also, I find that it is alot easier to get in the bag if I unzip the
            bag BEFORE I get in the hammock. I just sit on the bag, scoot it
            into place (lay down to test location and adjust if necessary),
            slide in, zip-up, and dose-off.

            Finally, it is much easier to zip the bag when the pad is fully
            inflated. When the pad bends in the hammock the zipper bends too
            which makes it hard to zip. you just sort-of have to flatten it out
            as you go.

            Those are my tips. Enjoy : )