Materiels

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
      At a mill ends place in our town they have lots of nylon looking
      stuff. Also if I lurk around the dollar bin at wally world great
      bargins are boudn to show up. According to Hammock list urban legend.

      How do I tell what is what?
      What will the labels say?
      What will it look like?
      What will the good stuff feel like?
      What types should I be interested in for hammock body?
      For tarp?

      What does DWR stand for?

      Thanks, this should promote some discussion.

      Ralph Is it Spring yet?
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
        Ralph,

        I am also a total newbie to this. See my other Post ("Rick, Spent the
        money") dated today. Other comments below:

        > How do I tell what is what?

        You can't. And, the clerks know less than you do. Take a pack or
        something else along with you that has the CORRECT material and try an
        educated guess.

        > What will the labels say?

        Won't be labeled at wally-world. At a good fabric store, it will say
        "RipStop Nylon"; but, probably not the weight (1.1 oz. vs. 1.9 oz.)

        > What will it look like?

        Shiny slippery cloth with 1/4 inch cross-hatching.

        > What will the good stuff feel like?

        See above. I also burnt a teeny piece to see how it curled/smelled
        and then had a CSI Investgative Analysis done. (Not really - the CSI
        bit).

        > What types should I be interested in for hammock body?

        Rick suggests 1.1 oz.

        > For tarp?

        Silnylon

        > What does DWR stand for?

        "Desperate for Walmart Ripstop" (Not really!)

        If I had to start all over again (Hell, I may HAVE TO...!), I would
        order the "correct" fabric and "correct" weight *ONLINE*. There are
        any number of Online places who have JUST WHAT YOU NEED and their
        prices are better than what I paid locally. If you need/want some the
        websites, just ask.

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
          I've gotten quite a bit of RN and DWR from the $1 racks, and a bit
          of silnylon, too.

          > How do I tell what is what?

          RN is slippery and thin, and you can see the cross-hatching in it.
          Unlike DWR, you can easily blow through RN; this breathability makes
          it great for hammocks.

          DWR (Durable Water Repellent) will be even more slippery and
          difficult to blow through. Water may bead off of it, but it's not
          waterproof and will wet through quickly. DWR frays like mad, so
          you'll have to either cut with a hot knife of some sort or make sure
          your raw edges are covered in something like a rolled hem.

          Silnylon is completely waterproof, much more slippery than DWR, and
          you can't blow through it. It doesn't fray like DWR. It's good for
          tents and tarps, but it's not breathable at all so don't use it for
          hammocks or clothes (unless you want a vapor barrier). I've heard
          of some silnylon rainsuits, but I wouldn't use them for anything
          active like backpacking.

          Other types of nylon can be good for hammock bottoms, but I've only
          used RN so far. I think Rick uses taffeta, and my Hennessey isn't
          made from RN.

          > What will the labels say?

          They'll say something like "$1.00" and that's about it. You just
          have to look through and figure it out.

          > What will it look like?

          Check whiteblaze.net "make your own hammock" thread for some pics of
          RN.

          You could order a bit from online so you have an identified
          reference to take when you go shopping, or you can just figure it
          out. It wasn't too difficult for me once I actually saw the
          stuff...it was all the wondering before I actually found the stuff
          that had me confused!

          The advantage - if you buy $1/yd stuff, you can experiment all you
          want. You can make a 9' hammock for $3 so who cares if you mess it
          up?! Make another! But if you're spending $4-5/yd, that's $12-15
          per hammock, so I'd be more concerned about how I use the material.

          I ordered DWR from thru-hiker.com for my quilts because I hadn't
          seen any at Walmart...then about two weeks after I made the quilts
          Walmart had a whole pile of DWR and silnylon, so I snatched it all
          up for future projects. That's what I just made my TravelPod
          from...the material was there when I got the inspiration, so I
          started sewing.

          Jeff