Re: [Hammock Camping] Hiking in from site 415 to 413

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
      Good advice, of course I always pre-scout an area before taking my scouts out.

      Ralph

      On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:02:51 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
      > wrote:
      > > Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never
      > seen
      > > that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
      > > fast! Thanks again!
      >
      > Be sure to check the date on the image...some of them are several
      > years old and won't show all of the pertinent details, like new
      > construction or rock/mud slides, etc.
      >
      > I tried to look up my house and my whole neighborhood is just a dirt
      > road and a bit of clearcut! I'm camped under that tree...right
      > there...
      >
      > Jeff
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
        The aerial photos are very helpful. Once I was trying to follow a
        trail map the I had picked up at the ranger station, and I thought I
        was losing my mind until I pulled out the aerial photos I had
        printed, and realized the the map from the rangers was wrong. Or
        maybe they would say "highly interpretive and schematic in nature".
        Whatever, it was wrong. The photos helped me regain my sanity and
        make it to camp.

        Bill in Houston

        > Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
        > it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
        > map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

      • seuss910
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
          I recall a big sign as you check-in to the Hot Springs Campground
          notifying visitors that there will be no refunds due to "river,
          railroad or roosters" - all three of which can easily overpower a few
          well earned zzzzz's

          Last July the loudest noises came from the late night party in the
          trailer camper at site 415 - and from the river. The campground
          manager came around about 11pm to tell us that the Weather Service
          had issued a flash flood watch for the French Broad and every time I
          woke up I listened carefully to try and tell if the river was rising
          and whether the two HHs hung down by the river bank under a beach
          umbrella would still be there in the morning.

          They were.

          s.

        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 31, 2005
            Rick-

            I imagine you have discovered for yourself that FOAM EARPLUGS ARE THINGS OF WONDER!  I wonder if for this instance one needs foam earplugs PLUS some sort of ear muffs?

            At least sleeping in  individual hammocks does not normally allow snoring to shake the "bed" for peopel near by...

            Rosaleen

            When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care of
            remembering the inverse  square law as it applies to audio frequencies.
            If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to
            sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock...  ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

            Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)