Re: [Hammock Camping] Hiking in from site 415 to 413

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
      Ed Speer wrote:

      Ralph, JD and everyone

      Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

      When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care of remembering the inverse  square law as it applies to audio frequencies.  If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock...  ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

      Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005

        Careful Rick, you can be banished back to the ground you know….Ed

        Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

        When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs , you may want to take care of remembering the inverse  square law as it applies to audio frequencies.  If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock...  ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

        Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)

        Rick

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
          At the New Year's Eve hangout at Springer I kept waking up thinking
          there was a bear roaming around... LOL, now I know what it was - it
          was Ed!

          Jim

          > When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care of
          > remembering the inverse square law as it applies to audio
          frequencies.
          > If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to
          > sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock... ZZZZzzzzzzz.......
          >
          > Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)
          >
          > Rick
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
            > Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
            > it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
            > map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

            Ralph......!!!!!!!!!!!

            Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never seen
            that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
            fast! Thanks again!

            > I assume it is OK to JEST on this list, or should the JESTING only
            > take place over on Kampfire?

            It better be OK here...<g>... Or, I will be kicked off before noon today!

            > I recently askes for volenteers for a poison Ivy experiment, next
            > week we acan do a skunk stink and moswuito experiment. :]

            ...hehehe!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
              > When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care
              > of remembering the inverse square law as it applies to audio
              > frequencies.

              OK, Rick, it took me 10 minutes to understand this...<g>...! Thanks
              for the giggle this morning!

              I was getting a headache trying to remember what was taught to me
              (Notice I didn't say "LEARNED") decades ago about wave forms and
              frequencies. And, I was about to call up my bro-in-law-Ham-Radio geek
              to ask for help.

              Hopefully, this Hot Springs Camp Ground doesn't have decible meters
              and that they don't enforce after hours noise levels! Funds were
              allocated for my local County Police Dept. to buy decible meters and
              enforce our Noise Regs. ----- Interestingly enough, NOT for loud
              parties, NOT for custom vehicle exhaust systems... But, to address
              citizen complaints about the loud BOOM BOXES in those hot little cars.

              There's a "slight chance" that I may have a noise pollution problem
              myself. I am sometimes awakened by my SkyDog standing over my face
              licking my nose. Hmmmmm.....?

              GLORIOUS morning in No. VA - Snow is falling - supposed to get 2" - 3"
              and it's 30 F...!!! Warmest temp in days and days!

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                wrote:
                > Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never
                seen
                > that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                > fast! Thanks again!

                Be sure to check the date on the image...some of them are several
                years old and won't show all of the pertinent details, like new
                construction or rock/mud slides, etc.

                I tried to look up my house and my whole neighborhood is just a dirt
                road and a bit of clearcut! I'm camped under that tree...right
                there...

                Jeff
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                  Good advice, of course I always pre-scout an area before taking my scouts out.

                  Ralph

                  On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:02:51 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never
                  > seen
                  > > that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                  > > fast! Thanks again!
                  >
                  > Be sure to check the date on the image...some of them are several
                  > years old and won't show all of the pertinent details, like new
                  > construction or rock/mud slides, etc.
                  >
                  > I tried to look up my house and my whole neighborhood is just a dirt
                  > road and a bit of clearcut! I'm camped under that tree...right
                  > there...
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • zippydooda
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                    The aerial photos are very helpful. Once I was trying to follow a
                    trail map the I had picked up at the ranger station, and I thought I
                    was losing my mind until I pulled out the aerial photos I had
                    printed, and realized the the map from the rangers was wrong. Or
                    maybe they would say "highly interpretive and schematic in nature".
                    Whatever, it was wrong. The photos helped me regain my sanity and
                    make it to camp.

                    Bill in Houston

                    > Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
                    > it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
                    > map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

                  • seuss910
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                      I recall a big sign as you check-in to the Hot Springs Campground
                      notifying visitors that there will be no refunds due to "river,
                      railroad or roosters" - all three of which can easily overpower a few
                      well earned zzzzz's

                      Last July the loudest noises came from the late night party in the
                      trailer camper at site 415 - and from the river. The campground
                      manager came around about 11pm to tell us that the Weather Service
                      had issued a flash flood watch for the French Broad and every time I
                      woke up I listened carefully to try and tell if the river was rising
                      and whether the two HHs hung down by the river bank under a beach
                      umbrella would still be there in the morning.

                      They were.

                      s.

                    • rosaleen43@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 31, 2005
                        Rick-

                        I imagine you have discovered for yourself that FOAM EARPLUGS ARE THINGS OF WONDER!  I wonder if for this instance one needs foam earplugs PLUS some sort of ear muffs?

                        At least sleeping in  individual hammocks does not normally allow snoring to shake the "bed" for peopel near by...

                        Rosaleen