Re: [Hammock Camping] Foam padding - anyone making a purchase????

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
      Dick do you mean to say you tried the Gossamer Gear pad and found it
      unsatisfactory becuase it was too bendy or did you supply this link
      so I would check out the GG pad?

      If so, I had before my post and took it out of the running because
      it's not wide enough, only 19.5 in - boo!

      Thank you for you imput
      jamie in az

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...>
      wrote:
      > Jamie,
      >
      > I found this to be unsatisfactory because there needs to be a
      balance
      > between bendy and stiff.
      >
      > http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html
      >
      > Dick Matthews
      >

      > chcoa wrote:
      >
      > >If anyone is planning in the near future to purchase some of the
      > >Evazote (sp?) padding that is more bendy than the CC foam, I would
      > >love to go in on your oder with you. I recently used a Target
      blue
      > >CC foam pad IN the hammock for some winter haning and while it
      worked
      > >fine, it wasn't as comfy as I would of liked. Additionally, I
      have a
      > >small capasity b-pack (keeps my pack weight down) and I'd like to
      > >have a pad that would pack a little better than the blue CC.
      > >
      > >Thanks
      > >Jamie in AZ
      > >

      > --
    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
        Jamie,

        I tried the overlap technique to get the width up to about 30" .  I was OK for warmth, but inside the hammock it crumpled into a ball.

        I would not recommend the GG pad for inside the hammock use.   Sorry for the confusion.   In the future I will provide links only to gear I recommend.

        I am still trying new things to get a kit that will both keep me comfortable on the ground and keep me warm to 20 degrees.

        Dick Matthews

        chcoa wrote:

        If anyone is planning in the near future to purchase some of the
        Evazote (sp?) padding that is more bendy than the CC foam, I would
        love to go in on your oder with you.  I recently used a Target

        blue

        CC foam pad IN the hammock for some winter haning and while it

        worked

        fine, it wasn't as comfy as I would of liked.  Additionally, I

        have a

        small capasity b-pack (keeps my pack weight down) and I'd like to
        have a pad that would pack a little better than the blue CC.

        Thanks
        Jamie in AZ

      • gear_collector
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
          Regarding...

          > I am still trying new things to get a kit that will both keep me
          > comfortable on the ground and keep me warm to 20 degrees.

          ... have you considered an insulated air mattress like the Insul-Mat
          Max-Thermo or the Big Anges Insulated Air Core, both insulated with
          primaloft? I've used both and they are much more comfortable than
          any thermarest pad I have ever used (I'd probably recommend the
          InsulMat as it's equally comfortable and an even better bargain at
          ~$50). I use mine when cold-weather hammocking in my HH Asym or
          anytime I'm tent camping and it seems to be good down to the teens.

          A short review:

          http://www.backpacker.com/gear/article/0,1023,7050,00.html

          HTH,
          David
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2005
            Thanks for clarifying Dick. I had recently checked out the GG pad so
            was interested in your advice.

            My search also continues....

            jamie