Re: [Hammock Camping] Hiking in from site 415 to 413

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 28, 2005
      downloadable topo maps here, free

      http://terraserver-usa.com/

      Ralph

      On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:02:27 -0000, J.D. Hoessle <JD@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
      > > JD, I'll also bring several different types of hammocks so we should
      > > have quite a few set up for folks to try.
      >
      > Thank you, Mr. Speer.
      >
      > > I'm pretty sure you can make it from site 415 to 413, just don't
      > > spill your drink. LOL
      >
      > For exactly THAT reason, I have been searching for a topo map of the
      > area because I am concerned about the terrain.
      >
      > /\ /\
      > / \ / \
      > / \ / \
      > / \ / \_..
      > / \ / ...
      > / \/ ... ooops!
      >
      > Happy Trails,
      >
      > J.D.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
        > downloadable topo maps here, free
        >
        > http://terraserver-usa.com/
        >
        > Ralph

        Good Morning! And, Thank You, Ralph!

        That's a great site - didn't know about it...!

        But... No offense now... This whole thread was IN JEST...

        I will be attending Trail Fest in Hot Springs, NC and have reserved
        the camp site immediately next to where Mr. Speer is setting up all of
        his hammocks.

        I am seldom very serious (about anything), have a tendency to joke too
        much, and probably do not get that across when I post here.

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
          Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
          it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
          map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

          I assume it is OK to JEST on this list, or should the JESTING only
          take place over on Kampfire?

          I recently askes for volenteers for a poison Ivy experiment, next week
          we acan do a skunk stink and moswuito experiment. :]

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005

            Ralph, JD and everyone

            Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
              Ed Speer wrote:

              Ralph, JD and everyone

              Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

              When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care of remembering the inverse  square law as it applies to audio frequencies.  If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock...  ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

              Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005

                Careful Rick, you can be banished back to the ground you know….Ed

                Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

                When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs , you may want to take care of remembering the inverse  square law as it applies to audio frequencies.  If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock...  ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

                Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)

                Rick

              • Jim
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
                  At the New Year's Eve hangout at Springer I kept waking up thinking
                  there was a bear roaming around... LOL, now I know what it was - it
                  was Ed!

                  Jim

                  > When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care of
                  > remembering the inverse square law as it applies to audio
                  frequencies.
                  > If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to
                  > sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock... ZZZZzzzzzzz.......
                  >
                  > Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)
                  >
                  > Rick
                • J.D. Hoessle
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                    > Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
                    > it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
                    > map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

                    Ralph......!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never seen
                    that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                    fast! Thanks again!

                    > I assume it is OK to JEST on this list, or should the JESTING only
                    > take place over on Kampfire?

                    It better be OK here...<g>... Or, I will be kicked off before noon today!

                    > I recently askes for volenteers for a poison Ivy experiment, next
                    > week we acan do a skunk stink and moswuito experiment. :]

                    ...hehehe!

                    Happy Trails,

                    J.D.
                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                      > When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care
                      > of remembering the inverse square law as it applies to audio
                      > frequencies.

                      OK, Rick, it took me 10 minutes to understand this...<g>...! Thanks
                      for the giggle this morning!

                      I was getting a headache trying to remember what was taught to me
                      (Notice I didn't say "LEARNED") decades ago about wave forms and
                      frequencies. And, I was about to call up my bro-in-law-Ham-Radio geek
                      to ask for help.

                      Hopefully, this Hot Springs Camp Ground doesn't have decible meters
                      and that they don't enforce after hours noise levels! Funds were
                      allocated for my local County Police Dept. to buy decible meters and
                      enforce our Noise Regs. ----- Interestingly enough, NOT for loud
                      parties, NOT for custom vehicle exhaust systems... But, to address
                      citizen complaints about the loud BOOM BOXES in those hot little cars.

                      There's a "slight chance" that I may have a noise pollution problem
                      myself. I am sometimes awakened by my SkyDog standing over my face
                      licking my nose. Hmmmmm.....?

                      GLORIOUS morning in No. VA - Snow is falling - supposed to get 2" - 3"
                      and it's 30 F...!!! Warmest temp in days and days!

                      Happy Trails,

                      J.D.
                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                        wrote:
                        > Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never
                        seen
                        > that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                        > fast! Thanks again!

                        Be sure to check the date on the image...some of them are several
                        years old and won't show all of the pertinent details, like new
                        construction or rock/mud slides, etc.

                        I tried to look up my house and my whole neighborhood is just a dirt
                        road and a bit of clearcut! I'm camped under that tree...right
                        there...

                        Jeff
                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                          Good advice, of course I always pre-scout an area before taking my scouts out.

                          Ralph

                          On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:02:51 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never
                          > seen
                          > > that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                          > > fast! Thanks again!
                          >
                          > Be sure to check the date on the image...some of them are several
                          > years old and won't show all of the pertinent details, like new
                          > construction or rock/mud slides, etc.
                          >
                          > I tried to look up my house and my whole neighborhood is just a dirt
                          > road and a bit of clearcut! I'm camped under that tree...right
                          > there...
                          >
                          > Jeff
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • zippydooda
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                            The aerial photos are very helpful. Once I was trying to follow a
                            trail map the I had picked up at the ranger station, and I thought I
                            was losing my mind until I pulled out the aerial photos I had
                            printed, and realized the the map from the rangers was wrong. Or
                            maybe they would say "highly interpretive and schematic in nature".
                            Whatever, it was wrong. The photos helped me regain my sanity and
                            make it to camp.

                            Bill in Houston

                            > Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
                            > it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
                            > map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

                          • seuss910
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                              I recall a big sign as you check-in to the Hot Springs Campground
                              notifying visitors that there will be no refunds due to "river,
                              railroad or roosters" - all three of which can easily overpower a few
                              well earned zzzzz's

                              Last July the loudest noises came from the late night party in the
                              trailer camper at site 415 - and from the river. The campground
                              manager came around about 11pm to tell us that the Weather Service
                              had issued a flash flood watch for the French Broad and every time I
                              woke up I listened carefully to try and tell if the river was rising
                              and whether the two HHs hung down by the river bank under a beach
                              umbrella would still be there in the morning.

                              They were.

                              s.

                            • rosaleen43@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 31, 2005
                                Rick-

                                I imagine you have discovered for yourself that FOAM EARPLUGS ARE THINGS OF WONDER!  I wonder if for this instance one needs foam earplugs PLUS some sort of ear muffs?

                                At least sleeping in  individual hammocks does not normally allow snoring to shake the "bed" for peopel near by...

                                Rosaleen