Foam padding - anyone making a purchase????

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2005
      If anyone is planning in the near future to purchase some of the
      Evazote (sp?) padding that is more bendy than the CC foam, I would
      love to go in on your oder with you. I recently used a Target blue
      CC foam pad IN the hammock for some winter haning and while it worked
      fine, it wasn't as comfy as I would of liked. Additionally, I have a
      small capasity b-pack (keeps my pack weight down) and I'd like to
      have a pad that would pack a little better than the blue CC.

      Thanks
      Jamie in AZ
    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
        Jamie,

        I found this to be unsatisfactory because there needs to be a balance
        between bendy and stiff.

        http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

        Dick Matthews

        chcoa wrote:

        >If anyone is planning in the near future to purchase some of the
        >Evazote (sp?) padding that is more bendy than the CC foam, I would
        >love to go in on your oder with you. I recently used a Target blue
        >CC foam pad IN the hammock for some winter haning and while it worked
        >fine, it wasn't as comfy as I would of liked. Additionally, I have a
        >small capasity b-pack (keeps my pack weight down) and I'd like to
        >have a pad that would pack a little better than the blue CC.
        >
        >Thanks
        >Jamie in AZ

      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
          Dick:

          Do you mean it compressed too easily? Do you know if it's
          like the sheets of foam Oware offers?

          Bear

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
            Bear,

            The sheets provided good insulation, but folded into a ball.  Think fleece blanket.  You know how everything crumples and migrates to the low part of the hammock?  Thats where the ThinLight pads ended up.

            I took a picture , but it is on a partially used roll of film.

            I have never worked with the Oware foam.

            Dick Matthews

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
              Dick:

              Was this in a double-layer hammock? If not, do you think they'd do better in a double-layer hammock?

              Oh, heck. I'd appreciate your feedback, but I routinely a lot more than the cost of these things on knives I have utterly no use for, so I should just get some and try it out. I think I will.

              Thanks

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
                  Spent my first real night in my hammock.

                  41 F, rain, wind, everything I could have wanted.

                  The hennessy undercover + underpad+reflective blanket worked wonders.  I never got cold.

                  I was also very impressed with the Feathered Friends Vireo Sleeping bag I just got.

                  Slept in shorts, long top, and jacket, but stayed toasty.

                  TV
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
                    Dick do you mean to say you tried the Gossamer Gear pad and found it
                    unsatisfactory becuase it was too bendy or did you supply this link
                    so I would check out the GG pad?

                    If so, I had before my post and took it out of the running because
                    it's not wide enough, only 19.5 in - boo!

                    Thank you for you imput
                    jamie in az

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Jamie,
                    >
                    > I found this to be unsatisfactory because there needs to be a
                    balance
                    > between bendy and stiff.
                    >
                    > http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html
                    >
                    > Dick Matthews
                    >

                    > chcoa wrote:
                    >
                    > >If anyone is planning in the near future to purchase some of the
                    > >Evazote (sp?) padding that is more bendy than the CC foam, I would
                    > >love to go in on your oder with you. I recently used a Target
                    blue
                    > >CC foam pad IN the hammock for some winter haning and while it
                    worked
                    > >fine, it wasn't as comfy as I would of liked. Additionally, I
                    have a
                    > >small capasity b-pack (keeps my pack weight down) and I'd like to
                    > >have a pad that would pack a little better than the blue CC.
                    > >
                    > >Thanks
                    > >Jamie in AZ
                    > >

                    > --
                  • Dick Matthews
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
                      Jamie,

                      I tried the overlap technique to get the width up to about 30" .  I was OK for warmth, but inside the hammock it crumpled into a ball.

                      I would not recommend the GG pad for inside the hammock use.   Sorry for the confusion.   In the future I will provide links only to gear I recommend.

                      I am still trying new things to get a kit that will both keep me comfortable on the ground and keep me warm to 20 degrees.

                      Dick Matthews

                      chcoa wrote:

                      If anyone is planning in the near future to purchase some of the
                      Evazote (sp?) padding that is more bendy than the CC foam, I would
                      love to go in on your oder with you.  I recently used a Target

                      blue

                      CC foam pad IN the hammock for some winter haning and while it

                      worked

                      fine, it wasn't as comfy as I would of liked.  Additionally, I

                      have a

                      small capasity b-pack (keeps my pack weight down) and I'd like to
                      have a pad that would pack a little better than the blue CC.

                      Thanks
                      Jamie in AZ

                    • gear_collector
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
                        Regarding...

                        > I am still trying new things to get a kit that will both keep me
                        > comfortable on the ground and keep me warm to 20 degrees.

                        ... have you considered an insulated air mattress like the Insul-Mat
                        Max-Thermo or the Big Anges Insulated Air Core, both insulated with
                        primaloft? I've used both and they are much more comfortable than
                        any thermarest pad I have ever used (I'd probably recommend the
                        InsulMat as it's equally comfortable and an even better bargain at
                        ~$50). I use mine when cold-weather hammocking in my HH Asym or
                        anytime I'm tent camping and it seems to be good down to the teens.

                        A short review:

                        http://www.backpacker.com/gear/article/0,1023,7050,00.html

                        HTH,
                        David
                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 30, 2005
                          Thanks for clarifying Dick. I had recently checked out the GG pad so
                          was interested in your advice.

                          My search also continues....

                          jamie