Re: Re: Making Progress... $/Yard

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 27, 2005
      JD-

      I thought that you were going to use your camper.  Should I stash an extra Hennessy in my truck, just in case???

      Rosaleen
      From: "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...>
      Subject: Re: Making Progress... $/Yard

      > Just $.02:
      > I don't know how much material costs where you are, but with ripstop
      > selling for about $6 a yard, the Zhammock costs about $36.  I'd use
      > new material and not worry about seams ripping.

      Yeah...  I can afford it too; but, I am such a cheap skate...<g>...
      You're right, Rick - Thanks!

      Here in Northern Virginia: $8.98 * 6 Yards = $53.88

      No, I didn't shop around...-<sigh>-...

      In the middle of the night at Hot Springs in April, you may hear a
      distinctive ***THUMP*** followed by a lot of cussing!  ...hehehe!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 28, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        > I thought that you were going to use your camper. Should I stash an
        > extra Hennessy in my truck, just in case???

        My camper (Aliner - Sportliner Model) will be my "Base Camp".

        From the Base Camp, I expect to be able to hike from Site #415 to
        somewhere near Site #413 to set up my "In-Progress ZHammock"; altho' I
        am not sure of the terrain along that route, I believe that I can make
        it there before dark...<g>....

        This adventure will be part of my learning curve. But, first, I have
        to finish sewing and whipping. Next step will be to learn the knots
        and "arranging" it. It is really cold out there and my fingers do NOT
        work really well when it comes to fiddlin' with cord...<g>... So, Hot
        Springs may be my first attempt. Hopefully, it will warm up a bit
        around here before then and I will be all set.

        But, to answer your question, YES; please bring that extra HH so that
        I can see/taste/smell the differences. I would be most grateful.

        For me... Learning from others is always the best way to settle on
        what will satisfy me and "seeing" it is much more
        interesting/FUN/enlightening.

        It's 5 degrees at 6:30 AM in Northern Virginia and the moon is so
        bright! Outside at 6 AM, coffee in hand, wandering around in the back
        yard, I was hypnotized by the moon's brightness and almost wanted to
        grab my pack and head out! Please note that I said "Almost"...<g>...
        ...hehehe!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 28, 2005

          JD, I’ll also bring several different types of hammocks so we should have quite a few set up for folks to try.  There are lots of trees in the Hot Springs campground and we will have plenty of room to hang hammocks. There’s even rom for tents (yes they are allowed)!  I’m pretty sure you can make it from site 415 to 413, just don’t spill your drink.  LOL

          Hot Spring is a great place to bring kids and friends as well as hammock-wanna-be’s.  Since we will be car camping on the edge of a small town, everything you might need is available (and Asheville is only 45 mins away).  I’m bringsing a couple of friends for their first hammock night out.  The TrailFest activities have something for everyone, including live outdoor music, food, door prizes; bring your lawn chair and dog!  And the local watering hole is always a fun place on TrailFest day.  The weather can still be raw in April, but it could be a beautiful warm Spring day as well….Ed

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 28, 2005
            > JD, I'll also bring several different types of hammocks so we should
            > have quite a few set up for folks to try.

            Thank you, Mr. Speer.

            > I'm pretty sure you can make it from site 415 to 413, just don't
            > spill your drink. LOL

            For exactly THAT reason, I have been searching for a topo map of the
            area because I am concerned about the terrain.

            /\ /\
            / \ / \
            / \ / \
            / \ / \_..
            / \ / ...
            / \/ ... ooops!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 28, 2005
              downloadable topo maps here, free

              http://terraserver-usa.com/

              Ralph

              On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:02:27 -0000, J.D. Hoessle <JD@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
              > > JD, I'll also bring several different types of hammocks so we should
              > > have quite a few set up for folks to try.
              >
              > Thank you, Mr. Speer.
              >
              > > I'm pretty sure you can make it from site 415 to 413, just don't
              > > spill your drink. LOL
              >
              > For exactly THAT reason, I have been searching for a topo map of the
              > area because I am concerned about the terrain.
              >
              > /\ /\
              > / \ / \
              > / \ / \
              > / \ / \_..
              > / \ / ...
              > / \/ ... ooops!
              >
              > Happy Trails,
              >
              > J.D.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
                > downloadable topo maps here, free
                >
                > http://terraserver-usa.com/
                >
                > Ralph

                Good Morning! And, Thank You, Ralph!

                That's a great site - didn't know about it...!

                But... No offense now... This whole thread was IN JEST...

                I will be attending Trail Fest in Hot Springs, NC and have reserved
                the camp site immediately next to where Mr. Speer is setting up all of
                his hammocks.

                I am seldom very serious (about anything), have a tendency to joke too
                much, and probably do not get that across when I post here.

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
                  Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
                  it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
                  map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

                  I assume it is OK to JEST on this list, or should the JESTING only
                  take place over on Kampfire?

                  I recently askes for volenteers for a poison Ivy experiment, next week
                  we acan do a skunk stink and moswuito experiment. :]

                  Ralph

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005

                    Ralph, JD and everyone

                    Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
                      Ed Speer wrote:

                      Ralph, JD and everyone

                      Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

                      When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care of remembering the inverse  square law as it applies to audio frequencies.  If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock...  ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

                      Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005

                        Careful Rick, you can be banished back to the ground you know….Ed

                        Thanks for keeping the list light hearted with your ‘jesting’.  It’s input like yours that make this list fun as well as informative.  We all appreciate a little jest once in a while—as long as it’s not at my expense, of course!  LOL     ….Ed   List moderator

                        When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs , you may want to take care of remembering the inverse  square law as it applies to audio frequencies.  If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock...  ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

                        Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)

                        Rick

                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 29, 2005
                          At the New Year's Eve hangout at Springer I kept waking up thinking
                          there was a bear roaming around... LOL, now I know what it was - it
                          was Ed!

                          Jim

                          > When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care of
                          > remembering the inverse square law as it applies to audio
                          frequencies.
                          > If you want to do some research on the topic, measure your ability to
                          > sleep as a function of distance from Ed's Hammock... ZZZZzzzzzzz.......
                          >
                          > Sometimes it is fun to be lighthearted at the master's expense too ;)
                          >
                          > Rick
                        • J.D. Hoessle
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                            > Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
                            > it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
                            > map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

                            Ralph......!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never seen
                            that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                            fast! Thanks again!

                            > I assume it is OK to JEST on this list, or should the JESTING only
                            > take place over on Kampfire?

                            It better be OK here...<g>... Or, I will be kicked off before noon today!

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                              > When you hang your hammock in Hot Springs, you may want to take care
                              > of remembering the inverse square law as it applies to audio
                              > frequencies.

                              OK, Rick, it took me 10 minutes to understand this...<g>...! Thanks
                              for the giggle this morning!

                              I was getting a headache trying to remember what was taught to me
                              (Notice I didn't say "LEARNED") decades ago about wave forms and
                              frequencies. And, I was about to call up my bro-in-law-Ham-Radio geek
                              to ask for help.

                              Hopefully, this Hot Springs Camp Ground doesn't have decible meters
                              and that they don't enforce after hours noise levels! Funds were
                              allocated for my local County Police Dept. to buy decible meters and
                              enforce our Noise Regs. ----- Interestingly enough, NOT for loud
                              parties, NOT for custom vehicle exhaust systems... But, to address
                              citizen complaints about the loud BOOM BOXES in those hot little cars.

                              There's a "slight chance" that I may have a noise pollution problem
                              myself. I am sometimes awakened by my SkyDog standing over my face
                              licking my nose. Hmmmmm.....?

                              GLORIOUS morning in No. VA - Snow is falling - supposed to get 2" - 3"
                              and it's 30 F...!!! Warmest temp in days and days!

                              Happy Trails,

                              J.D.
                            • jwj32542
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                wrote:
                                > Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never
                                seen
                                > that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                                > fast! Thanks again!

                                Be sure to check the date on the image...some of them are several
                                years old and won't show all of the pertinent details, like new
                                construction or rock/mud slides, etc.

                                I tried to look up my house and my whole neighborhood is just a dirt
                                road and a bit of clearcut! I'm camped under that tree...right
                                there...

                                Jeff
                              • Ralph Oborn
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                                  Good advice, of course I always pre-scout an area before taking my scouts out.

                                  Ralph

                                  On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:02:51 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > Got around to looking at the terraserver site - Great! Had never
                                  > seen
                                  > > that before and (even with my slow dial-up) it loads excellent maps
                                  > > fast! Thanks again!
                                  >
                                  > Be sure to check the date on the image...some of them are several
                                  > years old and won't show all of the pertinent details, like new
                                  > construction or rock/mud slides, etc.
                                  >
                                  > I tried to look up my house and my whole neighborhood is just a dirt
                                  > road and a bit of clearcut! I'm camped under that tree...right
                                  > there...
                                  >
                                  > Jeff
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • zippydooda
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                                    The aerial photos are very helpful. Once I was trying to follow a
                                    trail map the I had picked up at the ranger station, and I thought I
                                    was losing my mind until I pulled out the aerial photos I had
                                    printed, and realized the the map from the rangers was wrong. Or
                                    maybe they would say "highly interpretive and schematic in nature".
                                    Whatever, it was wrong. The photos helped me regain my sanity and
                                    make it to camp.

                                    Bill in Houston

                                    > Thats alright, the terraserver site is still a great resource, I use
                                    > it whenever I plan a trip. I also use the imagery part, print out a
                                    > map and tell people "we'll be camped under that tree!".

                                  • seuss910
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                                      I recall a big sign as you check-in to the Hot Springs Campground
                                      notifying visitors that there will be no refunds due to "river,
                                      railroad or roosters" - all three of which can easily overpower a few
                                      well earned zzzzz's

                                      Last July the loudest noises came from the late night party in the
                                      trailer camper at site 415 - and from the river. The campground
                                      manager came around about 11pm to tell us that the Weather Service
                                      had issued a flash flood watch for the French Broad and every time I
                                      woke up I listened carefully to try and tell if the river was rising
                                      and whether the two HHs hung down by the river bank under a beach
                                      umbrella would still be there in the morning.

                                      They were.

                                      s.

                                    • rosaleen43@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 31, 2005
                                        Rick-

                                        I imagine you have discovered for yourself that FOAM EARPLUGS ARE THINGS OF WONDER!  I wonder if for this instance one needs foam earplugs PLUS some sort of ear muffs?

                                        At least sleeping in  individual hammocks does not normally allow snoring to shake the "bed" for peopel near by...

                                        Rosaleen