Mini-poncho idea

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2005
      My material for the WarmHammock has shipped, but I'm going to have a
      piece about 30" long left over. Not quite enough for a quilt, so I
      had a new idea...the mini-poncho.

      It'll be like the JRB No-Sniveller, only without drawstrings and
      only 28" or so wide (shoulder-width), and just long enough to reach
      from your waist in front to the top of your butt when worn (about
      48" for me).

      For cold hiking, you put it on under your rain gear. This way you
      could control heat by how tightly you pull the poncho's sides
      together...overlap them if it's cold, spread them apart if you're
      overheating. Take it off without removing your pack by sliding it
      out the neck of your rain jacket. This is better than a fleece
      jacket if you like your core to be warm but don't like a lot of
      insulation on your arms (like me).

      If your back is hot, you could even put the back of the poncho on
      top of the pack, so your pack is right up against your back but your
      front and shoulders are still covered.

      When you're not wearing it, it could be used many ways. Cover your
      back or legs like a blanket in camp. Pillow. Extra loft in
      underquilt or inside sleeping bag. I'd be hesitant to wear my
      primary sleeping gear around camp, but this wouldn't be disastrous
      if it got wet or covered in food.

      Y'all think this would be useful, or just another item to weigh down
      the pack? I'm not sure it could completely replace a fleece jacket,
      but hopefully it will cool down again when I make it and I can do
      some testing...it's going to be 65F here today!

      Jeff