Making Progress....!!!

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
      Some of you may remember that I am attempting my first-ever sewing
      machine adventures. Well, I am making progress...!!! Finally figured
      out how to thread the bobbin AND the machine itself.

      Actually sewed two scraps together without injuring myself nor the
      machine. Loose thread on the bottom was resolved thanks to a posting
      here. And, the sewing machine is not in the dumpster were it was
      headed more than once...<g>...

      I did not buy enough rip-stop the first time (yards vs. feet math
      problem) and found a second piece of material at Wally World which I
      ***THINK*** is rip stop. It looks, feels, smells (when burnt with hot
      knife) the same.

      Is there any way to determin whether it is rip-stop...? Clerk had no
      idea and the stuff has no label.

      Thanks!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
        In my limited experience, 1.1 oz ripstop nylon has that nice little
        windowpane pattern on it and feels slicky and silky, and has a shine
        to it. At one Walmart I saw ripstop that was not nylon. It had a
        larger pattern and felt rougher and was duller. In my experience,
        the clerks will not be helpful, and may actually unintentionally
        steer you wrong.

        Congrats on getting the sewing machine to work. I'm having fun
        adventures with mine too. It's going well, but I have to set the top
        tension reallllllly tight. It seems tight to me anyway.

        Bill in Houston

        > Some of you may remember that I am attempting my first-ever sewing
        > machine adventures. Well, I am making progress...!!! Finally
        figured
        > out how to thread the bobbin AND the machine itself.
        >
        > Actually sewed two scraps together without injuring myself nor the
        > machine. Loose thread on the bottom was resolved thanks to a
        posting
        > here. And, the sewing machine is not in the dumpster were it was
        > headed more than once...<g>...
        >
        > I did not buy enough rip-stop the first time (yards vs. feet math
        > problem) and found a second piece of material at Wally World which I
        > ***THINK*** is rip stop. It looks, feels, smells (when burnt with
        hot
        > knife) the same.
        >
        > Is there any way to determin whether it is rip-stop...? Clerk had
        no
        > idea and the stuff has no label.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Happy Trails,
        >
        > J.D.
      • Steve Joiner
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
          careful w/ that tension tightness!  my wife still hasn't forgiven me (well, at least she hasn't let me forget it!) for messing up her fancy pfaff sewing machine while sewing my thru-hiker quilt last spring!

          cheers!

          Steve
          In my limited experience, 1.1 oz ripstop nylon has that nice little
          windowpane pattern on it and feels slicky and silky, and has a shine
          to it.  At one Walmart I saw ripstop that was not nylon.  It had a
          larger pattern and felt rougher and was duller.  In my experience,
          the clerks will not be helpful, and may actually unintentionally
          steer you wrong.

          Congrats on getting the sewing machine to work.  I'm having fun
          adventures with mine too.  It's going well, but I have to set the top
          tension reallllllly tight.  It seems tight to me anyway.

          Bill in Houston

          > Some of you may remember that I am attempting my first-ever sewing
          > machine adventures.  Well, I am making progress...!!!  Finally
          figured
          > out how to thread the bobbin AND the machine itself.
          >
          > Actually sewed two scraps together without injuring myself nor the
          > machine.  Loose thread on the bottom was resolved thanks to a
          posting
          > here. And, the sewing machine is not in the dumpster were it was
          > headed more than once...<g>...
          >
          > I did not buy enough rip-stop the first time (yards vs. feet math
          > problem) and found a second piece of material at Wally World which I
          > ***THINK*** is rip stop.  It looks, feels, smells (when burnt with
          hot
          > knife) the same.
          >
          > Is there any way to determin whether it is rip-stop...?  Clerk had
          no
          > idea and the stuff has no label.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Happy Trails,
          >
          > J.D.

        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Joiner" <joiners@b...>
            wrote:
            > careful w/ that tension tightness! my wife still hasn't forgiven me
            > (well,> at least she hasn't let me forget it!) for messing up her
            > fancy pfaff sewing machine while sewing my thru-hiker quilt last
            > spring!

            Well, Thank You Steve, but, she hasn't used it in 20 - 30 *YEARS*...<g>...
            Bill Said:
            ----------
            > In my limited experience, 1.1 oz ripstop nylon has that nice little
            > windowpane pattern on it and feels slicky and silky, and has a shine
            > to it. At one Walmart I saw ripstop that was not nylon. It had a
            > larger pattern and felt rougher and was duller.

            OUCH....!!! Thanks, Bill... That may be what I bought... Sewed up a
            little bag from scraps with the "good" stuff on one side and the
            WalMart bargain stuff on the other. Quite frankly, it seems the same
            to me...? I put my little bag in the sink and water beads & runs off
            both fabrics. Filled the bag, twisted the top, and squeezed - Seemed
            "OK" except for some minor drops where the needle holes are - some
            seam sealer will fix that.

            I am guessing that for Rick's ZHammock, having "good" ripstop on one
            side and the bargain-basement material on the other will not affect
            performance, strength, etc. It's gonna give me a headache; but, I
            will make sure that somehow, the "good" fabric is on the bottom to
            give me a bit more strength and moisture/dirt shedding properties.

            An UGLY THOUGHT: If this bargain-basement stuff has some cotton in
            it....!?!?!?!?! I *DID* burn a bit with a match and it seems to have
            all of the same burning characteristics as the known-good rip stop.

            OH, well... Build it and then test it (Several Times!) and make sure
            that the ground below is free of rocks and puddles just in case it
            decides to self-destruct. ...hehehe!

            REALLY looking forward to Hot Springs April 23rd....!!!!!!!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 26, 2005
              Eek. Glad I have a cheap machine. ;-) Did you mess up the Pfaff by
              just setting the tension too high? There is a yahoo group called
              wefixit where they may be able to help you if you want to try to
              redeem yourself by fixing the machine...

              Bill in Houston

              wrote:
              > careful w/ that tension tightness! my wife still hasn't forgiven
              me (well,
              > at least she hasn't let me forget it!) for messing up her fancy
              pfaff sewing
              > machine while sewing my thru-hiker quilt last spring!
              >
              > cheers!

            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 26, 2005
                I can't tell if you are talking about plain ripstop, or silicone
                impregnated ripstop (silnylon). Seems like silnylon might make for a
                sweaty hammock.

                Bill in Houston

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 26, 2005
                  > I can't tell if you are talking about plain ripstop, or silicone
                  > impregnated ripstop (silnylon).

                  Bill,

                  Definitely NOT silnylon...

                  At $1.00 / yard over at Wally World, I couldn't resist...<g>...

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • zippydooda
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 26, 2005
                    but if a stuffsack holds water...

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 26, 2005
                      zippydooda wrote:
[...]

                      Just $.02:

                      One of the things I like about the ZHammock is that it does not have a top or bottom layer.  I turn it upside down frequently.  After I wash it I have no idea what was the top and what was the bottom. Both get used equally. I does not need to be that way, but it can be.

                      I don't know how much material costs where you are, but with ripstop selling for about $6 a yard, the Zhammock costs about $36.  I'd use new material and not worry about seams ripping.

                      Risk
                    • J.D. Hoessle
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 26, 2005
                        > Just $.02:
                        > I don't know how much material costs where you are, but with ripstop
                        > selling for about $6 a yard, the Zhammock costs about $36. I'd use
                        > new material and not worry about seams ripping.

                        Yeah... I can afford it too; but, I am such a cheap skate...<g>...
                        You're right, Rick - Thanks!

                        Here in Northern Virginia: $8.98 * 6 Yards = $53.88

                        No, I didn't shop around...-<sigh>-...

                        In the middle of the night at Hot Springs in April, you may hear a
                        distinctive ***THUMP*** followed by a lot of cussing! ...hehehe!

                        Happy Trails,

                        J.D.