Hard lesson learned, plus some questions

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2005
      I think I understand snakeskins now, that is if they get to stay on while
      you tie the hammock to a tree?

      Spent too much time last night trying to get my HH up in 20+ mph winds. Evil
      thing when you combine winds like that and a flapping hammock.

      Needless to say, this whole experience left me with some questions.

      1. Is there a good way to set up a hammock so that it "faces" into the wind
      or anything?
      The only good trees I had last night left me in a position where the wind
      was hitting the hammock and fly from the side. I couldn't do it, but I
      wondered if it works better if the head or foot end faces into the wind as
      it blows.

      2. Do you leave snakeskins or other similar items on the hammock as you hang
      it? I just can't imagine being exhausted after a long day on the trail and
      having to deal with the fight I went through last night.

      3. Any other high wind tips?

      TV
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2005
        Hi TV,

        Thomas Vickers wrote:

        >I think I understand snakeskins now, that is if they get to stay on while
        >you tie the hammock to a tree?

        Yep. When I put up my hammock, it is in the hammock tubes. I just tie
        it up to the trees and it is a little roll. Then, when I am ready to use
        the hammock, I just push the hammock tubes up toward the trees. They
        stay there on the webbing and tend to keep water from trickling down the
        webbing and get the hammock wet when it rains.

        Here are the tubes just outboard of the hammock:
        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/20ozdoublebottom.jpg

        >Spent too much time last night trying to get my HH up in 20+ mph winds. Evil
        >thing when you combine winds like that and a flapping hammock.

        The hard thing is to get the tarp up, not the hammock. I also keep my
        5x10 foot tarp in a set of tubes to keep all the tie-outs from getting
        confused and knot-tied in the wind. I put the tarp up once I have the
        hammock up. However, the hammock is still in its hammock tubes while I
        am putting the tarp up.

        And here is the hammock tied up while I am putting the tarp up:
        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/doublebottom2.jpg

        >Needless to say, this whole experience left me with some questions.
        >
        >1. Is there a good way to set up a hammock so that it "faces" into the wind
        >or anything?
        >The only good trees I had last night left me in a position where the wind
        >was hitting the hammock and fly from the side. I couldn't do it, but I
        >wondered if it works better if the head or foot end faces into the wind as
        >it blows.

        I prefer to put the hammock up so that it is broadside to the wind.
        That way, if there is a blowing rain, the tarp gets pushed down against
        my windward side of the hammock, supporting it. This works in high
        winds with a 5x10 tarp much better than a 10x10 foot tarp. I also try
        to remember that if there is high wind, I can almost always find
        someplace to hang the hammock which is more out of the wind. Behind a
        rock, over the top of a hill, in a grove of pine trees - I have found
        cover in all these places.

        >2. Do you leave snakeskins or other similar items on the hammock as you hang
        >it? I just can't imagine being exhausted after a long day on the trail and
        >having to deal with the fight I went through last night.

        I'm glad you found out about it before you were on the trail. Now you
        get to do it again in high wind. Aint life fun?

        Risk
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2005
          Thanks for the info.

          Keeping broadside to the wind now makes sense.
          It made for a loud night. those gusts (according to the news, some well over
          30 mph) made things a bit noisy.

          Getting the fly up was the easy part. Once i got it clipped to the hammock
          cords, it went down easy. Of course I keep knots/loops in the guy lines so I
          can get them over the stakes quickly.

          The hammock turned sideways and acted like a parachute though. Ugly stuff.

          I am very excited about this happening in the backyard instead of on the
          trail.

          Not to mention the wind kept up all night and the temps dropped into the
          high 20's.
          I got COLD and got to go inside.

          Of course the most maddening part of it all was that my HH undercover was at
          the freakin post office waiting to be picked up. I spend all week waiting on
          it and the one day the wife wants to go to the movies (Sat) the thing shows
          up, but needs a signature, so back to the PO it goes. NEVER leave the house
          when you are expecting mail ;)

          I really wanted to test out the undercover, underpad, and a survival blanket
          with my new sleeping bag. The weather was great for it.

          Hopefully the weather will hold till Friday. That way I can put my whole
          system to test. If it sleeps well in the low 30's and high 20's then I am a
          complete hammock convert.

          TV
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2005
            Ya, TV, if you could have survived Saturday night, you could survive
            just about any cold weather we get anywhere near here. I'm sure it
            will go better next time.

            I made it down to 34 degrees on a clear night with no tarp, so I feel
            good-to-go on cold, but to me the big test will be rain. As in, can
            I stay dry and happy under the tarp.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"