RE: Hammock Camping Re:Thermarest - WAS - Newbie to the group

  • J Cornelius
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

       Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach sleep?  I’m a side sleeper and have a ¾  thermarest because I sleep almost fetal anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don’t know how that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I ever have!!!) so don’t like the idea of the thermarest scattering under my restlessness.

      Jodi who’s still learning this stuff but she did get her skins yesterday and can’t WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would cooperate

    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

        Here’s some decent ones

        http://www.treehanger.com/index.html

        http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html

        http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ (naturally)

        http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (another “naturally”)

        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm (and yet another)

        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm (he’s good)

        http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/hammock.htm

        Jodi

        Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
          Mostly side sleep, an hour on one side, an hour on the other... I
          don't know how soundly I will sleep in the hammock once I get used to
          it. In the real cold (10 degree stuff I have been playing with) I
          sleep but not very soundly. I plan to continue the experiments
          tonight... we had a NICE 50 degree day today and it is only going
          down to the mid thirties... first time it has been that warm in
          months!

          Tonight's experiment will be with a wind shell and the reflectix
          pad. The weatherman is calling for a bunch of rain as well. I need
          to see if my center seam on the tarp is really waterproof.

          It is also a test of the ability of the homemade hammock tubes to
          shed water from the hammock ropes.

          <><

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
          wrote:
          > Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach
          sleep?
          > I'm a side sleeper and have a ¾ thermarest because I sleep almost
          fetal
          > anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don't know
          how
          > that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I
          ever
          > have!!!) so don't like the idea of the thermarest scattering under
          my
          > restlessness.
          >
          > Jodi who's still learning this stuff but she did get her skins
          yesterday
          > and can't WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would
          > cooperate
        • starnescr
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
            Hi again David

            Thats not to far from me in Northeast Al (Grant). I have a sister-in-
            law in Menlow just across the line and an uncle in Adairsville. You
            are smart. While the masses concentrate on the AT you are finding
            wilderness by skirting around it. The Pinhoti is much the same way.
            Not to well known. Ive hiked three days and only ran into a hand
            full of hikers and non on Thursday the first day out. Did a stretch
            of the AT inside the Smokeys last Oct and despite really cool
            weather we ran into lots of hikers. Full shelters every nite. I
            enjoy meeting folks but really enjoy the solitude more.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "blqysmg"
            <david.chamness@e...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr
            <starnescr@y...>"
            > <starnescr@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi David
            > >

            > <snip>
            >
            > > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
            > >

            > I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in
            between
            > Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
            > aren't familiar with North Georgia.
            >
            > Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
            > favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
            > the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the
            AT.
            > There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the
            Dicks
            > Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
            > don't see anyone else.
            >
            > One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
            > whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.
            >
            > David
          • Stephen T. Gregorie
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
              walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
              the trick for you.

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • navjohn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                In a message dated 3/5/03 10:00:11, stgga@... writes:

                >Walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                >the trick for you.
                I have one, and don't recommend them. The so-called "fleece" is poor quality
                and not very warm. It might do for the middle of summer. One way to test
                for good fleece is to hold it up to the light and see how thick or thin it
                is. The Walmart fleece flunks.
                John Wilson
              • navjohn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                    I agree no good for a sleeping bag. I think it was
                    David who was looking for a cloth cover for a mat. As
                    a cover they're ok. Of course,if you spend more money
                    for better fleece that would make for a warmer nights
                    sleep.
                    steve

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 6, 2003
                      Message
                      David I second what Coy Boy says--most common sleep pads tend to slip out from beneath the user in a hammock.  . If possible avoid pads with smooth or slick surfaces--unfortunately the nylon covered self inflatables are a real problem.  Some foam pads also have a slick surface finish and should be avoided.  Fortunately some inexpensive foam pads are available, such as the Wal-Mart or Target varities mentioned frequently on this list.  In addition, several companies, including my Speer Hammocks, sell extra wide, thin 'grippy' foam pads that work well alone or in combo with other pads.  Qware also sells a similar pad. Other solutions also abound on this list. Hammp hammocking...Ed