Canoe, Insulated hammock, DWR

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005
      So I made a small prototype of my canoe idea, and I don't think
      it'll work. It doesn't look like the pad will buckle, but without
      an exact fit there will still be air pockets between the quilt and
      pad. Would still be better than not having it at all, but you won't
      get the full effect of the insulation. On to other ideas...

      Gonna make an insulated hammock now. Risk, I noticed yours don't
      insulate all the way down to your feet. How does that work out for
      you? Don't your feet get cold if you don't curl up?

      I was thinking of putting in 70x40" or so of 1.3" primaloft, then
      doubling up another 1.3" for about 48x36" around the torso. That
      way my feet and head would get at least a little bit of
      coverage...but if it worked for you I might skip that extra bulk for
      my first prototype and see what happens.

      Another question...has anyone made a hammock from DWR instead of
      just RN? I just found loads of it at Walmart, but I wonder if it'll
      be too slick to be comfortable on, or maybe not vent moisture well
      enough when I'm breathing into it (I'm a side sleeper). My other
      ones were from regular RN but I'm running out of it!

      Jeff
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005
        A valiant effort.