Re: Newbie to the group No. 2 for the day

  • blqysmg
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
      Robi,
      I don't want to discourage you from trying your own string hammock,
      but there is something you might want to consider. Most good string
      hammocks are made in the mayan style, and can use up to three miles
      of string!

      I've owned several, and they are a joy to behold. They aren't,
      however, any better than a good cloth hammock. For the cloth
      hammock, you could have one made in an hour or so if you have the
      cloth and access to a sewing machine. The cloth usually comes in 5
      foot wide sections, which just happens to be about perfect. Hem the
      edges, and sew a pocket on each end like you would for a curtain,
      except tripple sew it, and your done.

      With rope hammocks, the trick is to build a jig for making it. You
      need to decide how many strings you want across, and make a rack to
      hold and organize all of those strings. Then it's just a matter of
      weaving.

      A good craftsman, experienced in hammock making, can build a hammock
      by hand in less than a week. It would take me a month.

      It's worth thinking about.

      David

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
      wrote:
      > hi Everybody,
      >
      > I, like Dave, am also new to the group.
      >
      > I bumped into it on the Net when looking for info on making
      hammocks.

      > Any of you do that? More specifically I am interested in *net*
      hammocks as
      > opposed to cloth ones. However, if you all think that is a waste of
      time
      > let me know.
      >
      > So, where does one sitting in Budapest Hungary - I am from Boston,
      but just
      > happen to be living here for the next millennium - get started on
      > hammocking. If I can get a nice set up made i will start using it
      to sleep
      > out in and to camp in the very first chance I get.
      >
      > Thanks all!
      >
      > Rob
    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

         Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach sleep?  I’m a side sleeper and have a ¾  thermarest because I sleep almost fetal anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don’t know how that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I ever have!!!) so don’t like the idea of the thermarest scattering under my restlessness.

        Jodi who’s still learning this stuff but she did get her skins yesterday and can’t WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would cooperate

      • J Cornelius
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

          Here’s some decent ones

          http://www.treehanger.com/index.html

          http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html

          http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ (naturally)

          http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (another “naturally”)

          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm (and yet another)

          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm (he’s good)

          http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/hammock.htm

          Jodi

          Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
            Mostly side sleep, an hour on one side, an hour on the other... I
            don't know how soundly I will sleep in the hammock once I get used to
            it. In the real cold (10 degree stuff I have been playing with) I
            sleep but not very soundly. I plan to continue the experiments
            tonight... we had a NICE 50 degree day today and it is only going
            down to the mid thirties... first time it has been that warm in
            months!

            Tonight's experiment will be with a wind shell and the reflectix
            pad. The weatherman is calling for a bunch of rain as well. I need
            to see if my center seam on the tarp is really waterproof.

            It is also a test of the ability of the homemade hammock tubes to
            shed water from the hammock ropes.

            <><

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
            wrote:
            > Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach
            sleep?
            > I'm a side sleeper and have a ¾ thermarest because I sleep almost
            fetal
            > anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don't know
            how
            > that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I
            ever
            > have!!!) so don't like the idea of the thermarest scattering under
            my
            > restlessness.
            >
            > Jodi who's still learning this stuff but she did get her skins
            yesterday
            > and can't WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would
            > cooperate
          • starnescr
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
              Hi again David

              Thats not to far from me in Northeast Al (Grant). I have a sister-in-
              law in Menlow just across the line and an uncle in Adairsville. You
              are smart. While the masses concentrate on the AT you are finding
              wilderness by skirting around it. The Pinhoti is much the same way.
              Not to well known. Ive hiked three days and only ran into a hand
              full of hikers and non on Thursday the first day out. Did a stretch
              of the AT inside the Smokeys last Oct and despite really cool
              weather we ran into lots of hikers. Full shelters every nite. I
              enjoy meeting folks but really enjoy the solitude more.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "blqysmg"
              <david.chamness@e...> wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr
              <starnescr@y...>"
              > <starnescr@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi David
              > >

              > <snip>
              >
              > > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
              > >
              > > Coy Boy
              > >

              > I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in
              between
              > Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
              > aren't familiar with North Georgia.
              >
              > Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
              > favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
              > the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the
              AT.
              > There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the
              Dicks
              > Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
              > don't see anyone else.
              >
              > One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
              > whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.
              >
              > David
            • Stephen T. Gregorie
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                the trick for you.

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • navjohn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                  In a message dated 3/5/03 10:00:11, stgga@... writes:

                  >Walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                  >the trick for you.
                  I have one, and don't recommend them. The so-called "fleece" is poor quality
                  and not very warm. It might do for the middle of summer. One way to test
                  for good fleece is to hold it up to the light and see how thick or thin it
                  is. The Walmart fleece flunks.
                  John Wilson
                • navjohn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                      I agree no good for a sleeping bag. I think it was
                      David who was looking for a cloth cover for a mat. As
                      a cover they're ok. Of course,if you spend more money
                      for better fleece that would make for a warmer nights
                      sleep.
                      steve

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 6, 2003
                        Message
                        David I second what Coy Boy says--most common sleep pads tend to slip out from beneath the user in a hammock.  . If possible avoid pads with smooth or slick surfaces--unfortunately the nylon covered self inflatables are a real problem.  Some foam pads also have a slick surface finish and should be avoided.  Fortunately some inexpensive foam pads are available, such as the Wal-Mart or Target varities mentioned frequently on this list.  In addition, several companies, including my Speer Hammocks, sell extra wide, thin 'grippy' foam pads that work well alone or in combo with other pads.  Qware also sells a similar pad. Other solutions also abound on this list. Hammp hammocking...Ed