Newbie introduction, and query.

  • Anna
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2005
      Hi all,

      I was referred to this group from the WomenHikers list when I
      asked a question about outfitting a hammock I have for trail use.
      (With apologies for the cut and paste, here's my question)

      I have an inexpensive hammock I picked up at Gander Mountain ( you
      can see it here: http://www.byerofmaine.com/amazonas-traveller.htm )
      It's a light weight (11 oz) solid bed hammock made of uncoated
      nylon.

      I'm thinking that with a bit of ingenuity and some sewing I could
      make
      up some add-ons for this that would make it a nice hammock/shelter
      system for backpacking. I've always loved sleeping in a hammock, and
      I've studied the Speer and Henessy and Clark setups with envy in my
      heart - unfortunately without the $ in my wallet to be able to get
      into one.

      Has anyone else done anything like this? And for the hammock users
      out there - what are the kinds of features a basic hammock system
      would really need? I know that I'll want a tarp-topper of some
      kind -
      I'm thinking of making up a silnylon tarp, combined with some of
      those
      press clamp thingies.

      But beyond that, I'm really not sure what all I'd need/want to add.
      Bug netting probably, and maybe some pockets......

      Anyways, any ideas?

      Thanks in advance,

      PennyBright
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 20, 2005
        THE!!!! expert on modifying hammocks (or just building them from
        scratch) is Rick

        Check out http://www.imrisk.com/index.htm (scroll down a little)

        Ralph

        On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:15:37 -0000, Anna <GreenSoul@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I was referred to this group from the WomenHikers list when I
        > asked a question about outfitting a hammock I have for trail use.
        > (With apologies for the cut and paste, here's my question)
        >
        > I have an inexpensive hammock I picked up at Gander Mountain ( you
        > can see it here: http://www.byerofmaine.com/amazonas-traveller.htm )
        > It's a light weight (11 oz) solid bed hammock made of uncoated
        > nylon.
        >
        > I'm thinking that with a bit of ingenuity and some sewing I could
        > make
        > up some add-ons for this that would make it a nice hammock/shelter
        > system for backpacking. I've always loved sleeping in a hammock, and
        > I've studied the Speer and Henessy and Clark setups with envy in my
        > heart - unfortunately without the $ in my wallet to be able to get
        > into one.
        >
        > Has anyone else done anything like this? And for the hammock users
        > out there - what are the kinds of features a basic hammock system
        > would really need? I know that I'll want a tarp-topper of some
        > kind -
        > I'm thinking of making up a silnylon tarp, combined with some of
        > those
        > press clamp thingies.
        >
        > But beyond that, I'm really not sure what all I'd need/want to add.
        > Bug netting probably, and maybe some pockets......
        >
        > Anyways, any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > PennyBright
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Anna
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2005
          Thanks Ralph - that site looks great!

          PennyBright

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
          <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
          > THE!!!! expert on modifying hammocks (or just building them from
          > scratch) is Rick
          >
          > Check out http://www.imrisk.com/index.htm (scroll down a little)
          >
          > Ralph
        • bosus2000
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 21, 2005
            I also have one of those and have used it camping. You will
            obviously need a tarp. The problem that I have is with all of the
            lines that it hangs from. You need to take a lot of care that they
            don't get all tangled up. I am going to make some snake skins for
            it and I think that will help alot. I also made a mosquito net
            similar to Risk's quarterweight net and that works good. If you
            hang around the WalMart $1.00 bins in the fabric section you can
            eventually find some ripstop and will be able to make a Speer type
            for under $20.00. I found the ripstop and silnylon and now I need
            to practice my sewing skills before trying the tarp and hammock.

            > I have an inexpensive hammock I picked up at Gander Mountain ( you
            > can see it here: http://www.byerofmaine.com/amazonas-
            traveller.htm )
            > It's a light weight (11 oz) solid bed hammock made of uncoated
            > nylon.
            >
            > I'm thinking that with a bit of ingenuity and some sewing I could
            > make
            > up some add-ons for this that would make it a nice hammock/shelter
            > system for backpacking. I've always loved sleeping in a hammock,
            and
            > I've studied the Speer and Henessy and Clark setups with envy in my
            > heart - unfortunately without the $ in my wallet to be able to get
            > into one.
          • Anna Ault
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 22, 2005
              Yeah - those cords can be a problem -- I found that if I tie them in a
              loose knot before I stow it, it keeps them straight. I'm not a knot
              person, so I don't know what kind of knots I'm using, but I either
              just tie it as if I were tying a knot in a strong, or if else in that
              sort of shoe lace style thingie with a loop out. I found it really
              helps keep them from tangling.

              PennyBright

              --
              http://long_trails.blogspot.com/
            • Eric Sandberg
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 22, 2005
                I've used the same hammock (I use the traveler, is that yours too)
                for about three years now. I sewed some no-see-em net to the top to
                make it like the Mosquito (the one to the right of the traveler on
                their web page). I sewed a tarp/poncho for the rain fly and the
                whole system has worked wonderfully. I think you're really going to
                enjoy it. I found that if I just stuck the hanging loop from one
                end through the other loop the lines never got tangled. 'made for a
                smaller bundle when I rolled it up.

                I've since made a Speer hammock from his book and will be trying it
                this spring. The Traveler lets me lie flatter, but I have a bias
                toward home made stuff.

                Welcome to the hammockcamping cult (has anyone shown you the secret
                handshake yet?)

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Anna Ault <GreenSoul@g...>
                wrote:
                > Yeah - those cords can be a problem -- I found that if I tie them
                in a
                > loose knot before I stow it, it keeps them straight. I'm not a
                knot
                > person, so I don't know what kind of knots I'm using, but I either
                > just tie it as if I were tying a knot in a strong, or if else in
                that
                > sort of shoe lace style thingie with a loop out. I found it
                really
                > helps keep them from tangling.
                >
                > PennyBright

              • Anna Ault
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 22, 2005
                  Yup, I've got the Traveller. That tip about just tucking the loop
                  over one end sounds like it would be less bulky then my knot scheme.

                  What did you make the tarp out of? I've been looking at making an
                  8X10 out of silnylon, and using it with grip clips.

                  http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/tenttiedowns.html

                  I think I missed the seminar on the secret handshake and code words.
                  Is there another one soon? ;)

                  PennyBright

                  --
                  http://long_trails.blogspot.com/
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
                    Eric Sandberg wrote:

                    >I've since made a Speer hammock from his book and will be trying it
                    >this spring. The Traveler lets me lie flatter, but I have a bias
                    >toward home made stuff.
                    >
                    >Welcome to the hammockcamping cult (has anyone shown you the secret
                    >handshake yet?)

                    Secret handshake! I knew y'all were holding out on me. Nobody tells me
                    nuttin'

                    ;)

                    Risk
                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
                      ...hehehe!

                      Will someone be demonstrating this handshake in Hot Springs along with
                      the knot-tying exhibit....?

                      Happy Trails,

                      J.D.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005

                        I’d like to know what it is too…Ed

                        >I've since made a Speer hammock from his book and will be trying it

                        >this spring.  The Traveler lets me lie flatter, but I have a bias

                        >toward home made stuff.

                        >Welcome to the hammockcamping cult (has anyone shown you the secret

                        >handshake yet?)

                        > Secret handshake!  I knew y'all were holding out on me.  Nobody
                        tells me
                        > nuttin'
                        >
                        > ;)
                        >
                        > Risk

                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
                          I always thought it was the one you, Tom Hennesay, Rick and Sgt. Rock
                          made up that mimicked the mystical true hammock hangers knot.

                          The one that can be tied easily with one hand, holds forever but
                          unties with a single jerk. The one that woks on any rope or strap.

                          Ralph

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005

                            Oh, that would be the slip knot I guess?  I don’t use that one anymore…Ed

                          • rosaleen43@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 24, 2005
                              JD

                              Are you going to Trail Fest?  Have you seen a listing of events?  E-mail me, off list, please.  We have some catching up to do!

                              Rosaleen

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 24, 2005
                                I made my first tarp out of 1.9 oz coated nylon (big mistake - quite
                                heavy). I made one out of 1.1 oz silnylon last fall (only used it
                                once so far.) I made it 10X5 because it's easier to make that size
                                a poncho also. I thought about the 10X8, but would have had to put
                                too many folds and velcro into it so I could wear it without it
                                dragging.

                                About the hanging lines, I'm afraid I was unclear and might get you
                                into a tangled mass. I bring the two sets of lines in so they meet
                                in the center of the hammock. Then I pull one loop through the
                                other one. That way they may twist, but they don't tangle.

                                'next handshake seminar is on Feb 31. See you there.