Hammock Camping Re: Newbie to the group

  • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
      What a great idea! I could snitch a piece of that from the cabinet.
      Once the pad is in place, that should keep it there.

      David

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen T. Gregorie"

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
        Thanks Geoflyfisher!

        I'll try the blue pad. I've had the therm-a-rest forever. It's the
        best think I ever found for sleeping on the ground. I've had a
        couple of the high-density foam pads, they are fine but didn't really
        compare to the comfort of the therm-a-rest.

        Now that I've found something for the comfort, the therm-a-rest is
        most likely overkill. I used to have a good old army OD Green pad,
        but I never used it. I had to give it back when I left. My therm-a-
        rest was the same length (72") and OD Green, so I used it throughout
        my army career.

        The sleeping bag that I have is a mummy bag, and can't be used as a
        quilt. It can, however, be opened at the feet as well as the head,
        and has arm holes and a nice hood. For an all around summer bag, it
        is really functional. I have a fleese blanket that I can take along
        to cover me, if I need.

        I think the Target blue pad is worthy of a try. If the weather co-
        operates, and my wife doesn't object too much, maybe I'll give it a
        shot this weekend.

        David

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher

      • blqysmg
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
          Thanks for the reply, Bear. I was thinking about the whole idea of
          the closed-cell pad (I'm thinking that's what this Target Blue Pad
          everyone talks about must be.) I never liked laying directly on my
          Army OD Green pad, and thought that maybe a cloth sleave would make
          some difference to the comfort level of it.

          I'll try the Target pad bare first, then look for alternitives if
          needed. I just saw a website (found it on this list) with an "under
          blanket," or liner for the bottom of the hammock. That seems to make
          the most sense, although it will be a good bit more work to put
          together.

          I'm thinking of trying one of my son's sleeping bags, opened up and
          held onto the bottom of the hammock with bungee cords.

          Between the blanket idea, and closed foam pads of some make, I'm sure
          I can stay comfy.

          David

        • blqysmg
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
            Robi,
            I don't want to discourage you from trying your own string hammock,
            but there is something you might want to consider. Most good string
            hammocks are made in the mayan style, and can use up to three miles
            of string!

            I've owned several, and they are a joy to behold. They aren't,
            however, any better than a good cloth hammock. For the cloth
            hammock, you could have one made in an hour or so if you have the
            cloth and access to a sewing machine. The cloth usually comes in 5
            foot wide sections, which just happens to be about perfect. Hem the
            edges, and sew a pocket on each end like you would for a curtain,
            except tripple sew it, and your done.

            With rope hammocks, the trick is to build a jig for making it. You
            need to decide how many strings you want across, and make a rack to
            hold and organize all of those strings. Then it's just a matter of
            weaving.

            A good craftsman, experienced in hammock making, can build a hammock
            by hand in less than a week. It would take me a month.

            It's worth thinking about.

            David

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
            wrote:
            > hi Everybody,
            >
            > I, like Dave, am also new to the group.
            >
            > I bumped into it on the Net when looking for info on making
            hammocks.

            > Any of you do that? More specifically I am interested in *net*
            hammocks as
            > opposed to cloth ones. However, if you all think that is a waste of
            time
            > let me know.
            >
            > So, where does one sitting in Budapest Hungary - I am from Boston,
            but just
            > happen to be living here for the next millennium - get started on
            > hammocking. If I can get a nice set up made i will start using it
            to sleep
            > out in and to camp in the very first chance I get.
            >
            > Thanks all!
            >
            > Rob
          • J Cornelius
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

               Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach sleep?  I’m a side sleeper and have a ¾  thermarest because I sleep almost fetal anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don’t know how that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I ever have!!!) so don’t like the idea of the thermarest scattering under my restlessness.

              Jodi who’s still learning this stuff but she did get her skins yesterday and can’t WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would cooperate

            • robi dawson
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                Jim,

                You hit the nail on the head!

                Where to get this material here!

                I will be looking hard, trying to find some!

                Robi
              • J Cornelius
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

                  Here’s some decent ones

                  http://www.treehanger.com/index.html

                  http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html

                  http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ (naturally)

                  http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (another “naturally”)

                  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm (and yet another)

                  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm (he’s good)

                  http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/hammock.htm

                  Jodi

                  Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                    Mostly side sleep, an hour on one side, an hour on the other... I
                    don't know how soundly I will sleep in the hammock once I get used to
                    it. In the real cold (10 degree stuff I have been playing with) I
                    sleep but not very soundly. I plan to continue the experiments
                    tonight... we had a NICE 50 degree day today and it is only going
                    down to the mid thirties... first time it has been that warm in
                    months!

                    Tonight's experiment will be with a wind shell and the reflectix
                    pad. The weatherman is calling for a bunch of rain as well. I need
                    to see if my center seam on the tarp is really waterproof.

                    It is also a test of the ability of the homemade hammock tubes to
                    shed water from the hammock ropes.

                    <><

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach
                    sleep?
                    > I'm a side sleeper and have a ¾ thermarest because I sleep almost
                    fetal
                    > anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don't know
                    how
                    > that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I
                    ever
                    > have!!!) so don't like the idea of the thermarest scattering under
                    my
                    > restlessness.
                    >
                    > Jodi who's still learning this stuff but she did get her skins
                    yesterday
                    > and can't WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would
                    > cooperate
                  • starnescr
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                      Hi again David

                      Thats not to far from me in Northeast Al (Grant). I have a sister-in-
                      law in Menlow just across the line and an uncle in Adairsville. You
                      are smart. While the masses concentrate on the AT you are finding
                      wilderness by skirting around it. The Pinhoti is much the same way.
                      Not to well known. Ive hiked three days and only ran into a hand
                      full of hikers and non on Thursday the first day out. Did a stretch
                      of the AT inside the Smokeys last Oct and despite really cool
                      weather we ran into lots of hikers. Full shelters every nite. I
                      enjoy meeting folks but really enjoy the solitude more.

                      <david.chamness@e...> wrote:
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr
                      <starnescr@y...>"
                      > <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                      > > Hi David
                      > >

                      > <snip>
                      >
                      > > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
                      > >
                      > > Coy Boy
                      > >

                      > I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in
                      between
                      > Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
                      > aren't familiar with North Georgia.
                      >
                      > Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
                      > favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
                      > the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the
                      AT.
                      > There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the
                      Dicks
                      > Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
                      > don't see anyone else.
                      >
                      > One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
                      > whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.
                      >
                      > David
                    • Stephen T. Gregorie
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                        walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                        the trick for you.

                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                      • navjohn@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                          In a message dated 3/5/03 10:00:11, stgga@... writes:

                          >Walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                          >the trick for you.
                          I have one, and don't recommend them. The so-called "fleece" is poor quality
                          and not very warm. It might do for the middle of summer. One way to test
                          for good fleece is to hold it up to the light and see how thick or thin it
                          is. The Walmart fleece flunks.
                          John Wilson
                        • navjohn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                              I agree no good for a sleeping bag. I think it was
                              David who was looking for a cloth cover for a mat. As
                              a cover they're ok. Of course,if you spend more money
                              for better fleece that would make for a warmer nights
                              sleep.
                              steve

                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 6, 2003
                                Message
                                David I second what Coy Boy says--most common sleep pads tend to slip out from beneath the user in a hammock.  . If possible avoid pads with smooth or slick surfaces--unfortunately the nylon covered self inflatables are a real problem.  Some foam pads also have a slick surface finish and should be avoided.  Fortunately some inexpensive foam pads are available, such as the Wal-Mart or Target varities mentioned frequently on this list.  In addition, several companies, including my Speer Hammocks, sell extra wide, thin 'grippy' foam pads that work well alone or in combo with other pads.  Qware also sells a similar pad. Other solutions also abound on this list. Hammp hammocking...Ed