Hammock Camping Re: Newbie to the group

  • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 4 2:02 PM
      What a great idea! I could snitch a piece of that from the cabinet.
      Once the pad is in place, that should keep it there.

      David

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen T. Gregorie"

    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 4 2:02 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
        wrote:

        > I truly enjoy making things and using them. So I will be making my
        own
        > hammock. Your mention of tangles and what not in a rope hammock
        has already
        > convinced me that cloth is the way to go.
        >
        > do, other than the book by Speer, are there any other wealths of
        > information. Possibly on line versions?

        Check out: http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl

        or
        http://www.hammocksamerica.com/how_to_make_a_hammock/how_to_make_a_ha
        mmock.html

        or
        http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/hammock/hammock.htm

        or
        http://www.shelter-systems.com/gripclips/hammock.html

        That should get you started. ('Course the next question will be
        where can I get "...." in this corner of the world <grin>)

        Jim
      • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 4 2:14 PM
          Thanks Geoflyfisher!

          I'll try the blue pad. I've had the therm-a-rest forever. It's the
          best think I ever found for sleeping on the ground. I've had a
          couple of the high-density foam pads, they are fine but didn't really
          compare to the comfort of the therm-a-rest.

          Now that I've found something for the comfort, the therm-a-rest is
          most likely overkill. I used to have a good old army OD Green pad,
          but I never used it. I had to give it back when I left. My therm-a-
          rest was the same length (72") and OD Green, so I used it throughout
          my army career.

          The sleeping bag that I have is a mummy bag, and can't be used as a
          quilt. It can, however, be opened at the feet as well as the head,
          and has arm holes and a nice hood. For an all around summer bag, it
          is really functional. I have a fleese blanket that I can take along
          to cover me, if I need.

          I think the Target blue pad is worthy of a try. If the weather co-
          operates, and my wife doesn't object too much, maybe I'll give it a
          shot this weekend.

          David

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher

        • blqysmg
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 4 2:23 PM
            Thanks for the reply, Bear. I was thinking about the whole idea of
            the closed-cell pad (I'm thinking that's what this Target Blue Pad
            everyone talks about must be.) I never liked laying directly on my
            Army OD Green pad, and thought that maybe a cloth sleave would make
            some difference to the comfort level of it.

            I'll try the Target pad bare first, then look for alternitives if
            needed. I just saw a website (found it on this list) with an "under
            blanket," or liner for the bottom of the hammock. That seems to make
            the most sense, although it will be a good bit more work to put
            together.

            I'm thinking of trying one of my son's sleeping bags, opened up and
            held onto the bottom of the hammock with bungee cords.

            Between the blanket idea, and closed foam pads of some make, I'm sure
            I can stay comfy.

            David

          • blqysmg
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 4 2:31 PM
              Robi,
              I don't want to discourage you from trying your own string hammock,
              but there is something you might want to consider. Most good string
              hammocks are made in the mayan style, and can use up to three miles
              of string!

              I've owned several, and they are a joy to behold. They aren't,
              however, any better than a good cloth hammock. For the cloth
              hammock, you could have one made in an hour or so if you have the
              cloth and access to a sewing machine. The cloth usually comes in 5
              foot wide sections, which just happens to be about perfect. Hem the
              edges, and sew a pocket on each end like you would for a curtain,
              except tripple sew it, and your done.

              With rope hammocks, the trick is to build a jig for making it. You
              need to decide how many strings you want across, and make a rack to
              hold and organize all of those strings. Then it's just a matter of
              weaving.

              A good craftsman, experienced in hammock making, can build a hammock
              by hand in less than a week. It would take me a month.

              It's worth thinking about.

              David

              wrote:
              > hi Everybody,
              >
              > I, like Dave, am also new to the group.
              >
              > I bumped into it on the Net when looking for info on making
              hammocks.

              > Any of you do that? More specifically I am interested in *net*
              hammocks as
              > opposed to cloth ones. However, if you all think that is a waste of
              time
              > let me know.
              >
              > So, where does one sitting in Budapest Hungary - I am from Boston,
              but just
              > happen to be living here for the next millennium - get started on
              > hammocking. If I can get a nice set up made i will start using it
              to sleep
              > out in and to camp in the very first chance I get.
              >
              > Thanks all!
              >
              > Rob
            • J Cornelius
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 4 3:12 PM

                 Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach sleep?  I’m a side sleeper and have a ¾  thermarest because I sleep almost fetal anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don’t know how that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I ever have!!!) so don’t like the idea of the thermarest scattering under my restlessness.

                Jodi who’s still learning this stuff but she did get her skins yesterday and can’t WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would cooperate

              • robi dawson
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 4 3:32 PM
                  Jim,

                  You hit the nail on the head!

                  Where to get this material here!

                  I will be looking hard, trying to find some!

                  Robi
                • J Cornelius
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 4 4:35 PM

                    Here’s some decent ones

                    http://www.treehanger.com/index.html

                    http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html

                    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ (naturally)

                    http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (another “naturally”)

                    http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm (and yet another)

                    http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm (he’s good)

                    http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/hammock.htm

                    Jodi

                    Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 4 5:23 PM
                      Mostly side sleep, an hour on one side, an hour on the other... I
                      don't know how soundly I will sleep in the hammock once I get used to
                      it. In the real cold (10 degree stuff I have been playing with) I
                      sleep but not very soundly. I plan to continue the experiments
                      tonight... we had a NICE 50 degree day today and it is only going
                      down to the mid thirties... first time it has been that warm in
                      months!

                      Tonight's experiment will be with a wind shell and the reflectix
                      pad. The weatherman is calling for a bunch of rain as well. I need
                      to see if my center seam on the tarp is really waterproof.

                      It is also a test of the ability of the homemade hammock tubes to
                      shed water from the hammock ropes.

                      <><

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach
                      sleep?
                      > I'm a side sleeper and have a ¾ thermarest because I sleep almost
                      fetal
                      > anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don't know
                      how
                      > that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I
                      ever
                      > have!!!) so don't like the idea of the thermarest scattering under
                      my
                      > restlessness.
                      >
                      > Jodi who's still learning this stuff but she did get her skins
                      yesterday
                      > and can't WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would
                      > cooperate
                    • starnescr
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 4 8:17 PM
                        Hi again David

                        Thats not to far from me in Northeast Al (Grant). I have a sister-in-
                        law in Menlow just across the line and an uncle in Adairsville. You
                        are smart. While the masses concentrate on the AT you are finding
                        wilderness by skirting around it. The Pinhoti is much the same way.
                        Not to well known. Ive hiked three days and only ran into a hand
                        full of hikers and non on Thursday the first day out. Did a stretch
                        of the AT inside the Smokeys last Oct and despite really cool
                        weather we ran into lots of hikers. Full shelters every nite. I
                        enjoy meeting folks but really enjoy the solitude more.

                        <david.chamness@e...> wrote:
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr
                        <starnescr@y...>"
                        > <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                        > > Hi David
                        > >

                        > <snip>
                        >
                        > > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
                        > >
                        > > Coy Boy
                        > >

                        > I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in
                        between
                        > Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
                        > aren't familiar with North Georgia.
                        >
                        > Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
                        > favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
                        > the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the
                        AT.
                        > There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the
                        Dicks
                        > Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
                        > don't see anyone else.
                        >
                        > One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
                        > whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.
                        >
                        > David
                      • Stephen T. Gregorie
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 5 6:58 AM
                          walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                          the trick for you.

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                        • navjohn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 5 10:32 AM
                            In a message dated 3/5/03 10:00:11, stgga@... writes:

                            >Walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                            >the trick for you.
                            I have one, and don't recommend them. The so-called "fleece" is poor quality
                            and not very warm. It might do for the middle of summer. One way to test
                            for good fleece is to hold it up to the light and see how thick or thin it
                            is. The Walmart fleece flunks.
                            John Wilson
                          • navjohn@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 5 10:33 AM

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 5 12:29 PM
                                I agree no good for a sleeping bag. I think it was
                                David who was looking for a cloth cover for a mat. As
                                a cover they're ok. Of course,if you spend more money
                                for better fleece that would make for a warmer nights
                                sleep.
                                steve

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 6 5:47 AM
                                  Message
                                  David I second what Coy Boy says--most common sleep pads tend to slip out from beneath the user in a hammock.  . If possible avoid pads with smooth or slick surfaces--unfortunately the nylon covered self inflatables are a real problem.  Some foam pads also have a slick surface finish and should be avoided.  Fortunately some inexpensive foam pads are available, such as the Wal-Mart or Target varities mentioned frequently on this list.  In addition, several companies, including my Speer Hammocks, sell extra wide, thin 'grippy' foam pads that work well alone or in combo with other pads.  Qware also sells a similar pad. Other solutions also abound on this list. Hammp hammocking...Ed