Military Jungle Hammock Retrofit?

  • jmellis01
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2005
      Hey Folks,
      Instead of shelling out another hundred+ bucks for another HH
      I'm trying to rig an old jungle hammock I have in the closet. I
      like to have loaner gear for some of my even more cheap friends.
      I took my old M-1965 jungle hammock out of the bottom of the
      gear closet and started cutting. This has been it's home for about
      five years since I picked it up at a yard sale for $10. One weekend
      of use soon inspired me to shell out the money for my first
      Hennessy. The rotten peeling attached rain fly had to go as did the
      sleeves for turning it into a stretcher. This shaved off a few
      ounces at least. Now I'm left with essentially a speer-ish type
      hammock with non removable netting. I've got a spare fly so the
      rain protection is taken care of. My problem is rigging up a
      ridgeline to hold the netting out of my face.
      The ends of the mosquito bar are solid fabric and slightly
      trapezoidal. The original setup required using some sort of
      spreader bars to hold out the fly and also the mosquito bar. I've
      started to tinker with recycling the corner tieout points onto a
      central ridgeline. This causes a big flap of extra netting to droop
      in the middle right onto my face. If I sew a loop in the center of
      each end I believe the edges will sag in a similar fashion(maybe
      stitch in some pleats?).
      Bottom line.....without totally remanufacturing this nearly
      fourty year old relic, can I mod it into a useful setup? If anyone
      has any pertinent websites they can point me toward it would be
      greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      John
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2005
        If you pull the mosquito bar's corners toward the ridgeline and
        towards the trees (well, where they would be), can you get the sag
        out?

        The other thing would be to just use a needle and thread and make a
        long-spaced stitch along the end and pull it tight to gather the
        material up so you have a single tie out point for whole end. In the
        middle of the hammock you should end up with a lot of slack that will
        give you plenty of headroom. If I'm not making sense I can try again.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmellis01" <jmellis01@y...>
        wrote:
        > <snip> This causes a big flap of extra netting to droop
        > in the middle right onto my face. If I sew a loop in the center of
        > each end I believe the edges will sag in a similar fashion(maybe
        > stitch in some pleats?).
        > Bottom line.....without totally remanufacturing this nearly
        > fourty year old relic, can I mod it into a useful setup? If anyone
        > has any pertinent websites they can point me toward it would be
        > greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2005
          Why don't you take that extra sag that hangs in your face, run a
          seam along it and cut off the excess that hangs down?

          Or trim off the corners at the head and foot. If I'm picturing the
          netting right, you can check out stuff sack instructions to see what
          I mean...kinda make triangles out of the square ends. That'll
          straighten up your edges so nothing sags when you tighten the
          ridgeline.

          Jeff
        • Aris Dennis
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
            " Why don't you take that extra sag that hangs in your
            face"
            Am I the only one who had to reread this part before
            I realised that it wasn't an insult?!
            Oh, I'm so slow.....

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
              three times, maybe four.

              Ralph :]

              On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:44:04 -0800 (PST), Aris Dennis
              <apfel1984@...> wrote:

              > " Why don't you take that extra sag that hangs in your
              > face"
              > Am I the only one who had to reread this part before
              > I realised that it wasn't an insult?!
              > Oh, I'm so slow.....

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
                Hehe!

                Hey! I was talking about sewing ridgelines! But if you could sew a
                ridgeline into the sag hanging FROM your face, you wouldn't NEED a
                hammock...you could string yourSELF from the trees!

                Staying warm would still be a topic of discussion, however. :p

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn