RE: Hammock Camping Newbie to the group No. 2 for the day

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
      Rob:

      Welcome to the group. I started hammocking by taking "picnic" hikes. I'd haul a heavy knotted-string hammock down a trail, eat my sandwich, and take a nap after lunch.

      I guess there are advantages to a rope hammock, but once I tried a cloth hammock, I've never looked back. They seem more comfortable, there's no tangle of strings to manage or get caught on, and solid cloth hammocks can be just a light, or even lighter than some string hammocks.

      You can plunge in headfirst and get a complete system like a Hennessy Hammock, or start with a basic hammock and add components as your requirements and pocketbook allow. You can make everything you need with very little effort.

      My first cloth hammock was the Tropical Hammock by Nomad Travel. You can get them from Brigade Quartermaster on the web, and from the Nomad Travel site as well. To this I added a polytarp, and a commercial mosquito net. In other words, I  assembled my first rig from bought pieces, none of which cost over $30 by itself.

      Another great way to start would be to buy Ed Speer's book. It has all the details you need to build a slick hammock system for yourself, again with very little effort, skill, or expense.

      Above all, try your own experiments and dream up your own schemes while you're out there, swinging beneath the sky. And let us know what works for you.

      Bear
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
        Dave:

        Cool, thanks for swift reply!

        I am not very interested in buying anything already made. Numerous reasons,one being I have little to no spare money.

        But more importantly I very much enjoy producing my own things. I have a winter hat, hand woven by my son when he was 9. To most it is extremely ugly, the colors do not match, the quality of the knitting, is well, what you would expect of a 9 year old. But it was hand made for me and I wear it with pride.

        I truly enjoy making things and using them. So I will be making my own hammock. Your mention of tangles and what not in a rope hammock has already convinced me that cloth is the way to go.

        do, other than the book by Speer, are there any other wealths of information. Possibly on line versions?

        Like anything new, terminology is a bit confusing. Forgive me all if I ask what seem like boring/basic questions. I will only do so if I am not able to figure out what sg means....

        Thank you again

        Rob Dawson

        At 10:38 AM 3/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        1033609.jpg
        1033824.jpg

      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
          Gang: I personally don't have a list of cool hammocking websites. Can somebody point out some online resources to the newbies?

          Bear
        • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
            Hi dave,

            Take a look at this page in Hammock Wiki:

            http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Building_A_Hammock

            and this page too:

            http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Material_Lists

            Like Bear said, the Ed Speer Book is a great resource for building
            the hammock.

            Flyfisher <><

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
            wrote:
> [...]
            > >
            > >My first cloth hammock was the Tropical Hammock by Nomad Travel.
            You can
            > >get them from Brigade Quartermaster on the web, and from the Nomad
            Travel
            > >site as well. To this I added a polytarp, and a commercial
            mosquito net.
            > >In other words, I assembled my first rig from bought pieces, none
            of
            > >which cost over $30 by itself.
            > >
            > >Another great way to start would be to buy Ed Speer's book. It has
            all the
            > >details you need to build a slick hammock system for yourself,
            again with
            > >very little effort, skill, or expense.
            > >
            > >Above all, try your own experiments and dream up your own schemes
            while
            > >you're out there, swinging beneath the sky. And let us know what

            705065843:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/30
            0_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>1033609.jpg
            > >1033824.jpg

          • blqysmg
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"
              <starnescr@y...> wrote:
              > Hi David

              <snip>

              > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
              >
              > Coy Boy

              I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in between
              Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
              aren't familiar with North Georgia.

              Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
              favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
              the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the AT.
              There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the Dicks
              Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
              don't see anyone else.

              One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
              whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.

              David
            • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                What a great idea! I could snitch a piece of that from the cabinet.
                Once the pad is in place, that should keep it there.

                David

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen T. Gregorie"

              • colonelcorn76
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                  wrote:

                  > I truly enjoy making things and using them. So I will be making my
                  own
                  > hammock. Your mention of tangles and what not in a rope hammock
                  has already
                  > convinced me that cloth is the way to go.
                  >
                  > do, other than the book by Speer, are there any other wealths of
                  > information. Possibly on line versions?

                  Check out: http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl

                  or
                  http://www.hammocksamerica.com/how_to_make_a_hammock/how_to_make_a_ha
                  mmock.html

                  or
                  http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/hammock/hammock.htm

                  or
                  http://www.shelter-systems.com/gripclips/hammock.html

                  That should get you started. ('Course the next question will be
                  where can I get "...." in this corner of the world <grin>)

                  Jim
                • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                    Thanks Geoflyfisher!

                    I'll try the blue pad. I've had the therm-a-rest forever. It's the
                    best think I ever found for sleeping on the ground. I've had a
                    couple of the high-density foam pads, they are fine but didn't really
                    compare to the comfort of the therm-a-rest.

                    Now that I've found something for the comfort, the therm-a-rest is
                    most likely overkill. I used to have a good old army OD Green pad,
                    but I never used it. I had to give it back when I left. My therm-a-
                    rest was the same length (72") and OD Green, so I used it throughout
                    my army career.

                    The sleeping bag that I have is a mummy bag, and can't be used as a
                    quilt. It can, however, be opened at the feet as well as the head,
                    and has arm holes and a nice hood. For an all around summer bag, it
                    is really functional. I have a fleese blanket that I can take along
                    to cover me, if I need.

                    I think the Target blue pad is worthy of a try. If the weather co-
                    operates, and my wife doesn't object too much, maybe I'll give it a
                    shot this weekend.

                    David

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher

                  • blqysmg
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                      Thanks for the reply, Bear. I was thinking about the whole idea of
                      the closed-cell pad (I'm thinking that's what this Target Blue Pad
                      everyone talks about must be.) I never liked laying directly on my
                      Army OD Green pad, and thought that maybe a cloth sleave would make
                      some difference to the comfort level of it.

                      I'll try the Target pad bare first, then look for alternitives if
                      needed. I just saw a website (found it on this list) with an "under
                      blanket," or liner for the bottom of the hammock. That seems to make
                      the most sense, although it will be a good bit more work to put
                      together.

                      I'm thinking of trying one of my son's sleeping bags, opened up and
                      held onto the bottom of the hammock with bungee cords.

                      Between the blanket idea, and closed foam pads of some make, I'm sure
                      I can stay comfy.

                      David

                    • blqysmg
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                        Robi,
                        I don't want to discourage you from trying your own string hammock,
                        but there is something you might want to consider. Most good string
                        hammocks are made in the mayan style, and can use up to three miles
                        of string!

                        I've owned several, and they are a joy to behold. They aren't,
                        however, any better than a good cloth hammock. For the cloth
                        hammock, you could have one made in an hour or so if you have the
                        cloth and access to a sewing machine. The cloth usually comes in 5
                        foot wide sections, which just happens to be about perfect. Hem the
                        edges, and sew a pocket on each end like you would for a curtain,
                        except tripple sew it, and your done.

                        With rope hammocks, the trick is to build a jig for making it. You
                        need to decide how many strings you want across, and make a rack to
                        hold and organize all of those strings. Then it's just a matter of
                        weaving.

                        A good craftsman, experienced in hammock making, can build a hammock
                        by hand in less than a week. It would take me a month.

                        It's worth thinking about.

                        David

                        wrote:
                        > hi Everybody,
                        >
                        > I, like Dave, am also new to the group.
                        >
                        > I bumped into it on the Net when looking for info on making
                        hammocks.

                        > Any of you do that? More specifically I am interested in *net*
                        hammocks as
                        > opposed to cloth ones. However, if you all think that is a waste of
                        time
                        > let me know.
                        >
                        > So, where does one sitting in Budapest Hungary - I am from Boston,
                        but just
                        > happen to be living here for the next millennium - get started on
                        > hammocking. If I can get a nice set up made i will start using it
                        to sleep
                        > out in and to camp in the very first chance I get.
                        >
                        > Thanks all!
                        >
                        > Rob
                      • J Cornelius
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

                           Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach sleep?  I’m a side sleeper and have a ¾  thermarest because I sleep almost fetal anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don’t know how that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I ever have!!!) so don’t like the idea of the thermarest scattering under my restlessness.

                          Jodi who’s still learning this stuff but she did get her skins yesterday and can’t WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would cooperate

                        • robi dawson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                            Jim,

                            You hit the nail on the head!

                            Where to get this material here!

                            I will be looking hard, trying to find some!

                            Robi
                          • J Cornelius
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

                              Here’s some decent ones

                              http://www.treehanger.com/index.html

                              http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html

                              http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ (naturally)

                              http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (another “naturally”)

                              http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm (and yet another)

                              http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm (he’s good)

                              http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/hammock.htm

                              Jodi

                              Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                Mostly side sleep, an hour on one side, an hour on the other... I
                                don't know how soundly I will sleep in the hammock once I get used to
                                it. In the real cold (10 degree stuff I have been playing with) I
                                sleep but not very soundly. I plan to continue the experiments
                                tonight... we had a NICE 50 degree day today and it is only going
                                down to the mid thirties... first time it has been that warm in
                                months!

                                Tonight's experiment will be with a wind shell and the reflectix
                                pad. The weatherman is calling for a bunch of rain as well. I need
                                to see if my center seam on the tarp is really waterproof.

                                It is also a test of the ability of the homemade hammock tubes to
                                shed water from the hammock ropes.

                                <><

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
                                wrote:
                                > Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach
                                sleep?
                                > I'm a side sleeper and have a ¾ thermarest because I sleep almost
                                fetal
                                > anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don't know
                                how
                                > that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I
                                ever
                                > have!!!) so don't like the idea of the thermarest scattering under
                                my
                                > restlessness.
                                >
                                > Jodi who's still learning this stuff but she did get her skins
                                yesterday
                                > and can't WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would
                                > cooperate
                              • starnescr
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                  Hi again David

                                  Thats not to far from me in Northeast Al (Grant). I have a sister-in-
                                  law in Menlow just across the line and an uncle in Adairsville. You
                                  are smart. While the masses concentrate on the AT you are finding
                                  wilderness by skirting around it. The Pinhoti is much the same way.
                                  Not to well known. Ive hiked three days and only ran into a hand
                                  full of hikers and non on Thursday the first day out. Did a stretch
                                  of the AT inside the Smokeys last Oct and despite really cool
                                  weather we ran into lots of hikers. Full shelters every nite. I
                                  enjoy meeting folks but really enjoy the solitude more.

                                  <david.chamness@e...> wrote:
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr
                                  <starnescr@y...>"
                                  > <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                                  > > Hi David
                                  > >

                                  > <snip>
                                  >
                                  > > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
                                  > >
                                  > > Coy Boy
                                  > >

                                  > I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in
                                  between
                                  > Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
                                  > aren't familiar with North Georgia.
                                  >
                                  > Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
                                  > favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
                                  > the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the
                                  AT.
                                  > There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the
                                  Dicks
                                  > Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
                                  > don't see anyone else.
                                  >
                                  > One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
                                  > whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.
                                  >
                                  > David
                                • Stephen T. Gregorie
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                                    walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                                    the trick for you.

                                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                  • navjohn@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                                      In a message dated 3/5/03 10:00:11, stgga@... writes:

                                      >Walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                                      >the trick for you.
                                      I have one, and don't recommend them. The so-called "fleece" is poor quality
                                      and not very warm. It might do for the middle of summer. One way to test
                                      for good fleece is to hold it up to the light and see how thick or thin it
                                      is. The Walmart fleece flunks.
                                      John Wilson
                                    • navjohn@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                                          I agree no good for a sleeping bag. I think it was
                                          David who was looking for a cloth cover for a mat. As
                                          a cover they're ok. Of course,if you spend more money
                                          for better fleece that would make for a warmer nights
                                          sleep.
                                          steve

                                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 6, 2003
                                            Message
                                            David I second what Coy Boy says--most common sleep pads tend to slip out from beneath the user in a hammock.  . If possible avoid pads with smooth or slick surfaces--unfortunately the nylon covered self inflatables are a real problem.  Some foam pads also have a slick surface finish and should be avoided.  Fortunately some inexpensive foam pads are available, such as the Wal-Mart or Target varities mentioned frequently on this list.  In addition, several companies, including my Speer Hammocks, sell extra wide, thin 'grippy' foam pads that work well alone or in combo with other pads.  Qware also sells a similar pad. Other solutions also abound on this list. Hammp hammocking...Ed