Re: multiple Re: Hammock Camping Newsletter

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 10, 2005
      Ed-

      There is ONE good aspect to snow.  "Weeds?  What weeds?  I can't see any weeds!"

      Rosaleen
      From: "Ed Speer" <ed@...>
      Subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hammock Camping Newsletter

      Rosaleen, you remember how warm it was on Springer-that was nice.  But the
      warm blast continues and today I pulled weeds in the back yard with my shirt
      off!  Phew, this heat is really getting to me-somebody should do something.
      LOL.  OK.last year Karen was mowing the yard in shirtsleeves on Jan 24 and
      the next day we had 6" of snow!  So I know this heat wave won't continue,
      but I'm soaking it for all I can...Ed
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 10, 2005

        OK  But it was a nice respite, even thou I did get into some poison ivy….Ed

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
          Ed,

          (Knock wood!)  I've had poison ivy a couple of times at Scout Camp, never while backpacking, many times from yard work.  I am so allergic, that I can get a week-10 day prednisone course, then a shot because of a secondary systemic rash, and it STILL takes at least 6 weeks for the PI to go away.  One of the WomenHikers suggested a product called BP-X, maybe by a company with Sunshine in its name.  She swears by the stuff.  Looking for it in a health food store, I came across homeopathic preparations of "Rhus Toxicondron."  It seems a bit of the "hair of the dog" theory can work for some things.  On my way to the compost heap, I realized that a leaf brushed my ankle.  I hurried into the house and followed the usage direcions on some Tecnu Poison Ivy Wash.  I washed within minutes, followedm the directions exactly, and STILL broke out.  I took the Rhus Toxicondron and had the shortest, least miserable reaction to date.  One longer hike took me through trails lined on both sides with PI.  I took some Rhus Tox before possible exposure and any time I thought I might have touched a leaf of any sort.  I did wash off the spots with hand sanitizer and a tissue, too, but never broke out during or after those trips.

          You might consider acquiring some Rhus Toxicondron to see if it helps you, and maybe add it to your kit.

          Good Luck!

          Rosaleen
          From: "Ed Speer" <ed@...>
          Subject: RE: Re: multiple Re: Hammock Camping Newsletter

          OK  But it was a nice respite, even thou I did get into some poison ivy..Ed
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
            > (Knock wood!) I've had poison ivy a couple of times at Scout Camp,
            > never while backpacking, many times from yard work. I am so
            > allergic, that I can get a week-10 day prednisone course, then a shot
            > because of a secondary systemic rash, and it STILL takes at least 6
            > weeks for the PI to go away.

            There's a PRE-TREATMENT stuff out there now. Used by Highway Crews
            and others... Put it on BEFORE going out and it protects you all day.
            Many guys I know who do highway work, land scaping, etc. swear by the
            stuff. Sorry, I don't know the name... Will try to look it up.

            Personally do not have a reaction to PI - can actually pull it up with
            my bare hands! But, Poison OAK has gotten me a couple times! I have
            treated the Poison OAK problems with 5% Cortisone cream sucessfully in
            the past.

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005

              Thanks for the info Rosaleen—turns out my case of PI is worst than first thought.  I have sores over half of both arms—and it lives up to its reputation for itching!  Been using Calamine lotion—it works but has to be reapplied every 4 hours or so.  Will look for Rhus Toxicondron today—anythig to stop this itching!  When I was a kid, I never had a reaction to PO or PI, although my older brother was extremely sensitive—but I have gotten more sensitive over time and have had several severe cases in the past few years.  The only good part about this is that newly cleared 150 square foot area in my back yard—now It’s ready for a new spring garden!   ….Ed

              From: "Ed Speer" < ed@... >

              OK  But it was a nice respite, even thou I did get into some poison ivy..Ed

            • jmellis01
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                > Thanks for the info Rosaleen-turns out my case of PI is worst than
                first
                > thought. I have sores over half of both arms-and it lives up to
                its
                > reputation for itching! Been using Calamine lotion-it works but
                has to be
                > reapplied every 4 hours or so. Will look for Rhus Toxicondron
                today-anythig
                > to stop this itching! When I was a kid, I never had a reaction to
                PO or PI,
                > although my older brother was extremely sensitive-but I have
                gotten more
                > sensitive over time and have had several severe cases in the past
                few years.
                > The only good part about this is that newly cleared 150 square
                foot area in
                > my back yard-now It's ready for a new spring garden! ..Ed

                I hate to be the bearer of bad news but just give up. Every goop
                I've tried to smear on various cases of PI never worked. I read up
                on it quite a bit last time I got a good case and it's interesting.
                PI isn't "poison" at all. You could probably throw it in a salad
                and be fine. The problem is that some folks like myself react badly
                to it. Your body is convinced this stuff is harmful so you get the
                sores and blisters as you're trying to basically crawl out of your
                own skin to get away from the oil. Smearing stuff on your skin just
                tries to treat the symptoms but not the "disease".

                The only stuff that ever helped was a trip to the clinic. A strong
                steroid like prednisone taken orally or possibly an injection gets
                rid of the symptoms in a few hours. The problem with this stuff is
                folks have various side effects. I'd love to get some to keep in my
                first aid kit (just in case). At least once it would have made the
                difference in continuing the trip or laying in a hotel scratching in
                misery.

                I haven't tried the Rhus Toxicondron but I may try to find some of
                it soon. It sounds like "herbal prednisone".....

                Just my $.02

                John
              • David Chinell
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                  John:

                  I don't think it's TOTALLY hopeless. When I DID
                  get rashy, itchy, blistery bumps I found that 1%
                  hydrocortisone cream calmed the itch within an
                  hour, and cleared away the rash in a day or two.
                  Guess it all depends on your body chemistry and
                  the exact nature of your reaction to the offending
                  oil.

                  I used to carry the hydrocortisone in my first aid
                  kit and a couple of packs of the Technu soap in my
                  toiletries bag, but have taken them out since I
                  started using the Oral Ivy.

                  Bear
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                    Ed,

                    Poison Ivy sensitivity is a type 4 allergic reaction. Many people go for
                    years without getting poison ivy... but nearly every one that boasts of
                    their not getting it, and keeps exposing themselves ends up with a bad
                    case one day in the future. Sounds like you were not sensitized until
                    later in life. Unfortunately, your sensitivity will never go away.

                    Rick

                    Ed Speer wrote:

                    > Thanks for the info Rosaleen—turns out my case of PI is worst than
                    > first thought. I have sores over half of both arms—and it lives up to
                    > its reputation for itching! Been using Calamine lotion—it works but
                    > has to be reapplied every 4 hours or so. Will look for Rhus
                    > Toxicondron today—anythig to stop this itching! When I was a kid, I
                    > never had a reaction to PO or PI, although my older brother was
                    > extremely sensitive—but I have gotten more sensitive over time and
                    > have had several severe cases in the past few years. The only good
                    > part about this is that newly cleared 150 square foot area in my back
                    > yard—now It’s ready for a new spring garden! ….Ed

                  • dksierra
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                      Ed
                      I learned a few tricks to help with itching from my days in the burn
                      unit: apply ice packs to numb the area or conversely, briefly aim a
                      hair dryer on the low setting at the itching area, a pressure
                      wrapping sometimes helps (you could use an ace bandage) and if all
                      else fails light tapping directly over the lesions will sooth the
                      itch for as long you keep tapping.
                      I haven't had it for a while but used to get it badly as a
                      child...the itching is just awful!
                      Kim

                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                    • Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                        I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but several people I know now swear
                        by Zanfel.

                        http://www.zanfel.com/

                        Available at most drugstores.

                        Shane
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                          Great Rick....sure glad to know that my life is forever cursed by this devil
                          weed! I've been using the calamine lotion for 3 days now and it seems to be
                          working ok, only I have to reapply it every few hours. Today the itching was
                          less, perhaps because I've been using the lotion continuously, but hopefully
                          because my poor body is getting the upper hand.....Ed

                          Ed Speer wrote:

                          > Thanks for the info Rosaleen-turns out my case of PI is worst than
                          > first thought. I have sores over half of both arms-and it lives up to
                          > its reputation for itching! Been using Calamine lotion-it works but
                          > has to be reapplied every 4 hours or so. Will look for Rhus
                          > Toxicondron today-anythig to stop this itching! When I was a kid, I
                          > never had a reaction to PO or PI, although my older brother was
                          > extremely sensitive-but I have gotten more sensitive over time and
                          > have had several severe cases in the past few years. The only good
                          > part about this is that newly cleared 150 square foot area in my back
                          > yard-now It's ready for a new spring garden! ..Ed

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • jwj32542
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                            > Thanks for the info Rosaleen-turns out my case of PI is
                            > worst than first thought.
                            <snip>
                            > The only good part about this is that newly cleared 150
                            > square foot area in my back yard-now It's ready for a new
                            > spring garden! ..Ed

                            I know someone who cleared his backyard and burned the weeds.
                            Throughout the day, the winds shifted and started blowing on their
                            clothesline. Not such a big deal...until they found out the weed
                            pile had poison ivy in there! How did they find out, you ask?

                            His daughter (18 at the time...a bit older than I was then) ended up
                            with PI all over her upper AND lower parts. Yep, those parts. I
                            saw her once during this ordeal...didn't look too comfortable.

                            Someone else told me it's just a myth that PI can infect you through
                            smoke...I said just tell her that! Sure wasn't a myth that day.

                            Jeff
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005

                              Thanks Kim.  My exposure is not extreme this time, just enough to annoy and frustrate me—so far I’ve avoided serious scratching.  I know what the stuff looks like and usually successfully avoid it, but this time I just thought “hey that looks like PI vines” and pulled them out with all the other vines anyway.  Apparently some touched my bare arms when I gathered up large piles of vines & weeds to dry for later burning.  Will certainly avoid the smoke when I burn those brush piles later this winter!  In the mean time, I just hope the calamine lotion doesn’t run out in the middle of the night…Ed

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com , "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
                              > Thanks for the info Rosaleen-turns out my case of PI is worst than
                              first
                              > thought.  I have sores over half of both arms-and it lives up to
                              its
                              > reputation for itching!  Been using Calamine lotion-it works but
                              has to be
                              > reapplied every 4 hours or so.  Will look for Rhus Toxicondron
                              today-anythig
                              > to stop this itching!  When I was a kid, I never had a reaction to
                              PO or PI,
                              > although my older brother was extremely sensitive-but I have
                              gotten more
                              > sensitive over time and have had several severe cases in the past
                              few years.
                              > The only good part about this is that newly cleared 150 square
                              foot area in
                              > my back yard-now It's ready for a new spring garden!   ..Ed
                              >

                              >   _____

                              subject=Unsubscribe>

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005

                                Jeff, I have another smoke story—my brother once ended up hospitalized from a boy scout campfire.  Yep, they were burning logs with PI vines on them; and the scout master was a doctor!….Ed

                                > Thanks for the info Rosaleen-turns out my case of PI is
                                > worst than first thought.
                                <snip>

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005

                                  Shane, I didn’t make it to the drug store today, but will tomorrow---thanks for the lead on Zanfel….Ed

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 12, 2005
                                    i still say go for the RUX...

                                    what asbout Apis? or is that for stings and bites only?

                                    I am serverly allergic to bee stings... i pop an APIS and i do not even
                                    have to go to the doctors....

                                    USed RUX T for other ailments....

                                    Have ARNICA on me whenever i am out and about.... nice stuff...

                                    and to think i do not even believe in this homeopathy stuff.. but it
                                    works...

                                    robi
                                  • rosaleen43@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 13, 2005
                                      Bear-

                                      Thanks for the Oral Ivy tip.

                                      Yes, you can get PI from exposed gear.  I've gotten it on my arms from carrying scooped up laundry (my kids') to the machine.  Once I read the oils can stay active in a sleeping bag or whatever for a year...

                                      Rosaleen
                                      From: "David Chinell" <dchinell@...>
                                      Subject: Re: Poison Ivy

                                      Ed and all:

                                      I can personally recommend a homeopathic treatment called
                                      Oral Ivy, which is available at Gempler's:

                                      http://www.gemplers.com/

                                      http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/search.aspx?HKW=oral+ivy&UID=200501120837053128273215

                                      You put four or five drops in water or juice every day to
                                      take it. No perceptible taste or effect. I guess you'd start
                                      taking it one or two weeks before you think you'll be
                                      exposed. I just take it all the time, because I never know
                                      when I'll get the chance to go out, and even out of season,
                                      I seemed to get a rash pretty regularly. (Maybe residual
                                      oils on my gear?)

                                      I'm usually pretty skeptical about cures like this. But
                                      either I've somehow missed all the poison ivy and oak and
                                      sumac in the forest for two years, or the stuff actually
                                      works.

                                      Bear
                                    • Craig Stephanski
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 13, 2005
                                        Hello Ed,

                                        I have used an old remedy that you can buy in just about any grocery store.  It's called Phels Naptha soap.....it is a very strong soap that contains quite a bit of lye,  but man it dries out that PI really quickly.  I had tried many other OTC remedies and none really worked that well for me.........hope you get rid of that stuff soon.......Craig

                                        Ed Speer wrote:

                                        > Thanks for the info Rosaleen�turns out my case of PI is worst than
                                        > first thought. I have sores over half of both arms�and it lives up to
                                        > its reputation for itching! Been using Calamine lotion�it works but
                                        > has to be reapplied every 4 hours or so. Will look for Rhus
                                        > Toxicondron today�anythig to stop this itching! When I was a kid, I
                                        > never had a reaction to PO or PI, although my older brother was
                                        > extremely sensitive�but I have gotten more sensitive over time and
                                        > have had several severe cases in the past few years. The only good
                                        > part about this is that newly cleared 150 square foot area in my back
                                        > yard�now It�s ready for a new spring garden! �.Ed

                                        Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
                                        'Thanks & Giving.'
                                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/z1TolB/TM

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 13, 2005

                                          Thanks for the tip Craig.  Now that sounds like something that will work.  I still haven’t managed to get into a drug store yet—too busy, I guess.  But I did make it to Wally World today and found IVAREST which has stopped the itch for 8 hours now.  It’s not a cure, only an anti-itch cream.  It’s a combo calamine lotion & Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 2% (same stuff as in Benadryl 2%).  Hope to get to drug store tonight and maybe try some of that soap.

                                          I’ve also been told to apply bleach to the effected skin, perhaps that also deactivates the oils?   I certainly appreciate all the suggestions from everyone---will keep you posted….Ed

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 13, 2005
                                            That was the only thing that worked well for me in aiding to actually dry the crap out and take away alot of the oils.  The way I was told to use it was to rub the bar on the affected area until a good lather forms and then let it dry on the area.  For my skin,  it was too harsh so I just washed the affected area, maybe let it sit for a minute or two and then rinsed. I found relief with the Ivarest cream as well in between washings with that soap. Good luck and take care.......Craig

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 13, 2005
                                              > Jeff, I have another smoke story-my brother once ended up
                                              hospitalized from
                                              > a boy scout campfire. Yep, they were burning logs with PI vines
                                              on them;
                                              > and the scout master was a doctor!..Ed

                                              Man, did it get in his lungs? PI in your lungs would
                                              be...um...uncomfortable, to say the least.

                                              Jeff
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 13, 2005

                                                Mostly the PI got on his skin from the smoke, but he did inhale the smoke as well.  Entire skin area broke out and he quickly got blood poisoning and spent the next 2 months taking several medicated baths a day as well as lots of pills.  Skin boils continued for many more months.  He recovered, but it was not a good scene….Ed

                                                > Jeff, I have another smoke story-my brother once ended up
                                                hospitalized from
                                                > a boy scout campfire.  Yep, they were burning logs with PI vines
                                                on them;
                                                > and the scout master was a doctor!..Ed

                                                Man, did it get in his lungs?  PI in your lungs would
                                                be...um...uncomfortable, to say the least.

                                                Jeff

                                              • jmgiv47
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 14, 2005
                                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                                                  <shane@t...> wrote:
                                                  > I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but several people I know
                                                  now swear
                                                  > by Zanfel.
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.zanfel.com/
                                                  >
                                                  > Available at most drugstores.
                                                  >
                                                  > Shane

                                                  Someone, on one these backpacking forums/groups, mentioned the
                                                  active ingredient in Zanfel was the same as that in spermicides. So
                                                  if the Zanfel is too expensive...

                                                  As young Scouts, four of us spent an afternoon fighting a brush fire
                                                  in an area heavy with poison ivy. Afterwards we hit the stream to
                                                  wash the smoke off. Not a one of us ended up with a poison ivy rash
                                                  but I was the only one that came out of the stream WITHOUT leeches
                                                  attached. It was a scene very close to that in "Stand By Me."
                                                  Good times! :)

                                                  john
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 14, 2005

                                                    John, I feel like I should start a collection of PI stories....Ed