"whipped end"....? (zhammock"

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
      Good Morning!

      RE: Mr. Risk's ZHAMMOCK

      Today, I am off to buy ripstop and attempt my first sewing project.
      Mostly because of Mr. Risk's design and Rosaleen's comments at how
      easy this must be...-<gulp!>...

      I have searched Mr. Risk's website and looked at the "Quarterweight"
      and "Zhammock" instructions as well as the messages here; but, am not
      too certain about the "whipped ends".

      Can someone point me to some more detailed instructions re: the
      whipped ends? BTW, GREAT photos of the whipped end; but, I am not sure...

      Thanks!

      Also... Day hike yesterday and "Lost" one of my Wonder dogs along the
      AT in the Shenandoah yesterday for almost 3 hours. MollyDog just took
      off, broke the leash... It started to rain/sleet and I was running
      out of daylight. Found her - exhausted! I mention this to remind
      everyone to ALWAYS be prepared for bad weather and the awful chance
      that you may have to stay out there. I had rain gear and other
      "emergency" stuff with me; but, -<thankfully>- didn't have to use it.
      Got out just as I was running out of daylight.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Tee
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
        http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg

        At 08:54 AM 1/8/05, you wrote:
        >whipped ends
      • Rami
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
          J.D. Hoessle wrote:

          > Good Morning!
          >
          > RE: Mr. Risk's ZHAMMOCK
          >
          > Today, I am off to buy ripstop and attempt my first sewing project.
          > Mostly because of Mr. Risk's design and Rosaleen's comments at how
          > easy this must be...-<gulp!>...
          >
          > I have searched Mr. Risk's website and looked at the "Quarterweight"
          > and "Zhammock" instructions as well as the messages here; but, am not
          > too certain about the "whipped ends".
          >
          > Can someone point me to some more detailed instructions re: the
          > whipped ends? BTW, GREAT photos of the whipped end; but, I am not sure...

          [[R:]]
          Good Morning J.D.,

          I'm assuming that you're looking for more specific instructions on what
          whipping is...

          If so, Whipping is tyeing a (usually smaller) string or cord around the
          end(s) of a rope (or hammock in your case) to prevent it from unraveling
          with use.
          I'm pasting to the bottom of this a link to a boyscout website which has
          a fairly good illustration but basically this is the method:

          1. take one end of your cord and fold it (the bend is called a bight)
          over to create a doubled section about 6 to 8 inches long.
          2. with the bight end pointing towards the end of the rope (or hammock),
          and the shorter piece (called standing end) pointed towards you and the
          body of the rope (hammock), take the bulk of the cord (called the
          working or bitter end) and begin wrapping around the rope (hammock) and
          your doubled piece of cord working away from you.
          3. when you are almost to the bight with your wrapping, insert the
          working end through the loop and pull on the standing end until the
          bight pulls down under the wrapping you just did.
          4. cut the excess of both the working and standing ends to finish your
          whipping.

          <http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/skills/b-p/wb/knots.htm>

          Hope this helps,

          Rami

          --
          -r

          Pressure
          -------
          Grace
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
            Thank You...!!!

            Boy was that fast!

            Excellent answers and diagrams - Just what I needed!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
              Hi J.D.

              I tried to find a reasonable description with good pictures, but
              realized that rope whipping is a little different than what I do. So I
              built a page with pictures to show the whipping I use:

              http://www.imrisk.com/hammockwhipping/hammockwhipping.htm

              J.D. Hoessle wrote:

              >Good Morning!
              >
              >RE: Mr. Risk's ZHAMMOCK
              >
              >Today, I am off to buy ripstop and attempt my first sewing project.
              >Mostly because of Mr. Risk's design and Rosaleen's comments at how
              >easy this must be...-<gulp!>...
              >
              >I have searched Mr. Risk's website and looked at the "Quarterweight"
              >and "Zhammock" instructions as well as the messages here; but, am not
              >too certain about the "whipped ends".
              >
              >Can someone point me to some more detailed instructions re: the
              >whipped ends? BTW, GREAT photos of the whipped end; but, I am not sure...
              >
              >Thanks!
              >
              >Also... Day hike yesterday and "Lost" one of my Wonder dogs along the
              >AT in the Shenandoah yesterday for almost 3 hours. MollyDog just took
              >off, broke the leash... It started to rain/sleet and I was running
              >out of daylight. Found her - exhausted! I mention this to remind
              >everyone to ALWAYS be prepared for bad weather and the awful chance
              >that you may have to stay out there. I had rain gear and other
              >"emergency" stuff with me; but, -<thankfully>- didn't have to use it.
              > Got out just as I was running out of daylight.
              >
              >Happy Trails,
              >
              >J.D.

            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005