Re: Waterproof bottom of Hammock

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
      Walk...-

      I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting wet.  .  I mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a tightly woven DWR fabric bottom.  What you do with your hammock is your business, as it IS your hammock.  Just ralize that anything that you paint on might void the warrantee, and the paint on stuff will add some weight.  Have you considered spraying on some silicone waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?

      Rosaleen
      From: "walkonemile50" <glherron46@...>
      Subject: Waterproof bottom of Hammock

      I'm thinking of using some waterproofing on the bottom on the outside
      of my hammock with Poly Coat, which you use a brush to apply .
      http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
      productId=47610942&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
      1&addon=697792-697788&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE

      I was wanting to waterproof about 2 to 3 feet on both ends so to be
      able to keep it from getting wet in high winds and rain. Has anyone
      done this?  Any problems?

      Thanks
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
        Is the silicone in Camp Dry the same as the silicone in ArmorAll and
        similar projects? Does it leave a slicky or slimy feel?

        The reason I ask is that I noticed that one of the ingredients in
        Scotchguard is PDMS, which is also in ArmorAll and 303 protectant,
        and I wondered if CampDry was the same...

        Thanks,
        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        > Walk...-
        >
        > I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting
        wet. . I
        > mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a tightly woven
        DWR fabric
        > bottom. What you do with your hammock is your business, as it IS
        your
        > hammock. Just ralize that anything that you paint on might void
        the warrantee, and
        > the paint on stuff will add some weight. Have you considered
        spraying on some
        > silicone waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?
        >
        > Rosaleen
        > From: "walkonemile50" <glherron46@y...>
        > Subject: Waterproof bottom of Hammock
        >

        > I'm thinking of using some waterproofing on the bottom on the
        outside
        > of my hammock with Poly Coat, which you use a brush to apply .
        > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
        > productId=47610942&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
        > 1&addon=697792-697788&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE
        >
        > I was wanting to waterproof about 2 to 3 feet on both ends so to be
        > able to keep it from getting wet in high winds and rain. Has anyone
        > done this? Any problems?
        >
        > Thanks
      • walkonemile50
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
          Walk...-
          I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting
          wet. . I mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a
          tightly woven DWR fabric bottom. What you do with your hammock is
          your business, as it IS your hammock. Just realize that anything that
          you paint on might void the warrantee, and the paint on stuff will
          add some weight. Have you considered spraying on some silicone
          waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?
          Rosaleen

          Hi Rosaleen,
          For the most part it is just from high blowing wind with heavy rain.
          The product, Poly Coat says it does not add any weight to what
          you're waterproofing. I'm sure it will add some however.
          This is why I'm only doing a few feet on each end. From what
          I've heard since I've posted the 1st message, it does not
          seem to be a problem and like most waterproofing on anything, after
          time it is no longer waterproofing. I talked with Hennessy, (I
          think his wife and not Tom) and she said that she did not see a
          problemÂ… I will look into the Camp Dry..
          Thanks,
          WalkOneMile
        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
            Bill-

            Camp Dry is silicone based.  I have no experience with Armor All, so have no comment on it.  It takes a while for the odor to dissipate with Armor All, and it can darken light fabrics, but I did not notice much, if any, textural change.  It has been a long time since I've used Scotchguard, but I remember it as being quite different from Camp Dry.

            Rosaleen