Re: [Hammock Camping] Waterproof bottom of Hammock

  • Adrnlnjnky
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
      I've never had the bottom of my hammock get wet, I guess I need to
      find a windier storm!

      On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:24:00 -0000, walkonemile50 <glherron46@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...
      > wrote:
      > The only problem I can see is that the material will
      > no longer be breathable, therefor you will have
      > condensation and sweat building up, making your
      > underside wet. If you are on a pad or fleece, this
      > might not be any worse than in a tent, although with
      > cold air underneath instead of ground, maybe it would
      > be. I am not sure, has anyone tested this?
      >
      > -Dylan
      >
      > I was just going to waterproof 2 to 3 feet from the head and foot
      > end. When it rains hard and with the wind, it can blow water onto
      > this area. I would do the whole hammock, but if water gets in there,
      > there is no way for it to drain out, except to use a towel... I
      > will be getting the weathershield which should cover most of the
      > bottom of the hammock, but still want it free from getting wet...

      Tom Peltier

      In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
      in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!
    • rosaleen43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
        Walk...-

        I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting wet.  .  I mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a tightly woven DWR fabric bottom.  What you do with your hammock is your business, as it IS your hammock.  Just ralize that anything that you paint on might void the warrantee, and the paint on stuff will add some weight.  Have you considered spraying on some silicone waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?

        Rosaleen
        From: "walkonemile50" <glherron46@...>
        Subject: Waterproof bottom of Hammock

        I'm thinking of using some waterproofing on the bottom on the outside
        of my hammock with Poly Coat, which you use a brush to apply .
        http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
        productId=47610942&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
        1&addon=697792-697788&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE

        I was wanting to waterproof about 2 to 3 feet on both ends so to be
        able to keep it from getting wet in high winds and rain. Has anyone
        done this?  Any problems?

        Thanks
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
          Is the silicone in Camp Dry the same as the silicone in ArmorAll and
          similar projects? Does it leave a slicky or slimy feel?

          The reason I ask is that I noticed that one of the ingredients in
          Scotchguard is PDMS, which is also in ArmorAll and 303 protectant,
          and I wondered if CampDry was the same...

          Thanks,
          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
          > Walk...-
          >
          > I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting
          wet. . I
          > mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a tightly woven
          DWR fabric
          > bottom. What you do with your hammock is your business, as it IS
          your
          > hammock. Just ralize that anything that you paint on might void
          the warrantee, and
          > the paint on stuff will add some weight. Have you considered
          spraying on some
          > silicone waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?
          >
          > Rosaleen
          > From: "walkonemile50" <glherron46@y...>
          > Subject: Waterproof bottom of Hammock
          >

          > I'm thinking of using some waterproofing on the bottom on the
          outside
          > of my hammock with Poly Coat, which you use a brush to apply .
          > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
          > productId=47610942&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
          > 1&addon=697792-697788&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE
          >
          > I was wanting to waterproof about 2 to 3 feet on both ends so to be
          > able to keep it from getting wet in high winds and rain. Has anyone
          > done this? Any problems?
          >
          > Thanks
        • walkonemile50
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
            Walk...-
            I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting
            wet. . I mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a
            tightly woven DWR fabric bottom. What you do with your hammock is
            your business, as it IS your hammock. Just realize that anything that
            you paint on might void the warrantee, and the paint on stuff will
            add some weight. Have you considered spraying on some silicone
            waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?
            Rosaleen

            Hi Rosaleen,
            For the most part it is just from high blowing wind with heavy rain.
            The product, Poly Coat says it does not add any weight to what
            you're waterproofing. I'm sure it will add some however.
            This is why I'm only doing a few feet on each end. From what
            I've heard since I've posted the 1st message, it does not
            seem to be a problem and like most waterproofing on anything, after
            time it is no longer waterproofing. I talked with Hennessy, (I
            think his wife and not Tom) and she said that she did not see a
            problemÂ… I will look into the Camp Dry..
            Thanks,
            WalkOneMile
          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
              Bill-

              Camp Dry is silicone based.  I have no experience with Armor All, so have no comment on it.  It takes a while for the odor to dissipate with Armor All, and it can darken light fabrics, but I did not notice much, if any, textural change.  It has been a long time since I've used Scotchguard, but I remember it as being quite different from Camp Dry.

              Rosaleen