Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 6, 2005

      +/- 1.5': ...-1.35"
      +/- 2.0': ...-1.00"
      +/- 2.5': ...-0.55"
      +/- 3.0': ... 0.00"

      Thanks for those!

      >I can tell you that 96"
      >is not enough width.

      Okay.

      > I recently saw where another person used plastic drop cloth to
      model
      > a tent design... I thought that was very clever. Why don't you
      get a
      > 9'x12' piece of 2 or 3 mil plastic drop cloth, use reinforced
      > strapping tape and make a model to see what dimensions you want
      and
      > where you want to put your tieouts and panel pullouts? That might
      > also give you a feel for what catenary curves might do to help the
      > tautness. On my 96" wide tarp I used 3 tieouts on the long side
      of
      > the tarp, I think I need them. On the 126" wide tarp I used four
      > tieouts on the side and panel pullouts at the same spacing, the
      tarp
      > tent configuration dictated the placement of those.

      Yes, this is a good idea. Thanks for all the good info.

      I am thinking about putting a few (maybe two) small pockets on
      inside of the tarp. Either on the panel close to my head or in the
      ridge seam. I have seen this in tarptents but not many Hammock
      tarps. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did it turn out? If not, I
      will let ya'll know.
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie