Waterproof bottom of Hammock

  • walkonemile50
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2005
      I'm thinking of using some waterproofing on the bottom on the outside
      of my hammock with Poly Coat, which you use a brush to apply .
      http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
      productId=47610942&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
      1&addon=697792-697788&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE

      I was wanting to waterproof about 2 to 3 feet on both ends so to be
      able to keep it from getting wet in high winds and rain. Has anyone
      done this? Any problems?

      Thanks
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
        Does anyone know what would happen if one made a mineral spirits/
        silicone caulk solution (like silnyl seam sealer, but more dilute),
        and then painted that on plain material?

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "walkonemile50"
        <glherron46@y...> wrote:

        > I'm thinking of using some waterproofing on the bottom on the
        outside
        > of my hammock with Poly Coat, which you use a brush to apply .
        > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
        > productId=47610942&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
        > 1&addon=697792-697788&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE
        >
        > I was wanting to waterproof about 2 to 3 feet on both ends so to be
        > able to keep it from getting wet in high winds and rain. Has anyone
        > done this? Any problems?
        >
        > Thanks
      • Dylan Anderson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
          The only problem I can see is that the material will
          no longer be breathable, therefor you will have
          condensation and sweat building up, making your
          underside wet. If you are on a pad or fleece, this
          might not be any worse than in a tent, although with
          cold air underneath instead of ground, maybe it would
          be. I am not sure, has anyone tested this?

          -Dylan

          =====

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • walkonemile50
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...
            wrote:
            The only problem I can see is that the material will
            no longer be breathable, therefor you will have
            condensation and sweat building up, making your
            underside wet. If you are on a pad or fleece, this
            might not be any worse than in a tent, although with
            cold air underneath instead of ground, maybe it would
            be. I am not sure, has anyone tested this?

            -Dylan

            I was just going to waterproof 2 to 3 feet from the head and foot
            end. When it rains hard and with the wind, it can blow water onto
            this area. I would do the whole hammock, but if water gets in there,
            there is no way for it to drain out, except to use a towel... I
            will be getting the weathershield which should cover most of the
            bottom of the hammock, but still want it free from getting wet...
          • Adrnlnjnky
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
              I've never had the bottom of my hammock get wet, I guess I need to
              find a windier storm!

              On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:24:00 -0000, walkonemile50 <glherron46@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...
              > wrote:
              > The only problem I can see is that the material will
              > no longer be breathable, therefor you will have
              > condensation and sweat building up, making your
              > underside wet. If you are on a pad or fleece, this
              > might not be any worse than in a tent, although with
              > cold air underneath instead of ground, maybe it would
              > be. I am not sure, has anyone tested this?
              >
              > -Dylan
              >
              > I was just going to waterproof 2 to 3 feet from the head and foot
              > end. When it rains hard and with the wind, it can blow water onto
              > this area. I would do the whole hammock, but if water gets in there,
              > there is no way for it to drain out, except to use a towel... I
              > will be getting the weathershield which should cover most of the
              > bottom of the hammock, but still want it free from getting wet...

              Tom Peltier

              In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
              in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!
            • rosaleen43@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
                Walk...-

                I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting wet.  .  I mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a tightly woven DWR fabric bottom.  What you do with your hammock is your business, as it IS your hammock.  Just ralize that anything that you paint on might void the warrantee, and the paint on stuff will add some weight.  Have you considered spraying on some silicone waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?

                Rosaleen

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Is the silicone in Camp Dry the same as the silicone in ArmorAll and
                  similar projects? Does it leave a slicky or slimy feel?

                  The reason I ask is that I noticed that one of the ingredients in
                  Scotchguard is PDMS, which is also in ArmorAll and 303 protectant,
                  and I wondered if CampDry was the same...

                  Thanks,
                  Bill in Houston

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
                  > Walk...-
                  >
                  > I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting
                  wet. . I
                  > mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a tightly woven
                  DWR fabric
                  > bottom. What you do with your hammock is your business, as it IS
                  your
                  > hammock. Just ralize that anything that you paint on might void
                  the warrantee, and
                  > the paint on stuff will add some weight. Have you considered
                  spraying on some
                  > silicone waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?
                  >
                  > Rosaleen
                  > From: "walkonemile50" <glherron46@y...>
                  > Subject: Waterproof bottom of Hammock
                  >

                  > I'm thinking of using some waterproofing on the bottom on the
                  outside
                  > of my hammock with Poly Coat, which you use a brush to apply .
                  > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
                  > productId=47610942&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
                  > 1&addon=697792-697788&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE
                  >
                  > I was wanting to waterproof about 2 to 3 feet on both ends so to be
                  > able to keep it from getting wet in high winds and rain. Has anyone
                  > done this? Any problems?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                • walkonemile50
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
                    Walk...-
                    I haven't had a problem with the underside of my hammock getting
                    wet. . I mostly use one of the ultralight versions that have a
                    tightly woven DWR fabric bottom. What you do with your hammock is
                    your business, as it IS your hammock. Just realize that anything that
                    you paint on might void the warrantee, and the paint on stuff will
                    add some weight. Have you considered spraying on some silicone
                    waterproofing, such as Camp Dry?
                    Rosaleen

                    Hi Rosaleen,
                    For the most part it is just from high blowing wind with heavy rain.
                    The product, Poly Coat says it does not add any weight to what
                    you're waterproofing. I'm sure it will add some however.
                    This is why I'm only doing a few feet on each end. From what
                    I've heard since I've posted the 1st message, it does not
                    seem to be a problem and like most waterproofing on anything, after
                    time it is no longer waterproofing. I talked with Hennessy, (I
                    think his wife and not Tom) and she said that she did not see a
                    problemÂ… I will look into the Camp Dry..
                    Thanks,
                    WalkOneMile
                  • rosaleen43@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
                      Bill-

                      Camp Dry is silicone based.  I have no experience with Armor All, so have no comment on it.  It takes a while for the odor to dissipate with Armor All, and it can darken light fabrics, but I did not notice much, if any, textural change.  It has been a long time since I've used Scotchguard, but I remember it as being quite different from Camp Dry.

                      Rosaleen