Oware 9x9 Tarp

  • walkonemile50
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
      I just ordered a Oware 9x9 Oware tarp. I've looked at a number of
      tarps and decided to go with this one for a number of reasons.
      1. The Stock fly for the HH Explorer 9 ft just covers the hammock.
      If its rains heavy then it's get wet time. I have to say, that I'm
      not so sure about how well the ties outs are on it as well. I've
      already had some small tears by the tie out..

      2. I looked at the 8x8,8x10,10x10,and felt they were either too small
      or too large.

      3. The 9x9 flat tarp from Oware has many tie outs including 4 in the
      middle. So, that I can use this tarp on the ground in a number of
      setups. When I'm using it in the hammock, if the weather is good,
      then I will hang it as a A frame. In bad weather, (High winds) I
      will hang it the long way. Which will cover over 12 feet.

      Has anyone else here used a Oware tarp and what has been your
      experience with it. Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed.

      Thanks
    • rosaleen43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
        "WalkOneMile-"

        I have had some dealings with Dave Olsen, and feel he is a good guy.  Not having used any of his tarps, I can't comment on them.

        Why are you so sure that you will get wet using the Hennessy stock fly?  I have had no problems in any of mine (UL Backpacker, original model, maybe now the "Cocoon," Explorer Deluxe, and the Asym Ultralight).  Some peope like to have a larger fly for different reasons, including more coverage for a "living space."  I've been in nasty blowing storms and slept dry in my hammocks.  For those circumstances, the fly might need to be low on the windward side.  If it isn't TOO bad, and I'm feeling lazy, I might not get up and lower the fly edge, but just shift a bit away from the edge.

        You second apparent issue: holes at attachment point(s).  Occasionally there have been stitching overruns of the bar tacks at the bias tape attachment points.  Stick on a bit of scrap silnylon with some silicone sealer, OR call Hennessy Hammock.  They are likely to repair or replace the fly, depending on the determined cause of the problem.

        Cheers!

        Rosaleen

        PS  If you need a "scrap" of silnylon, I can send you a small one.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005

          Rosaleen wrote:
          (Why are you so sure that you will get wet using the Hennessy stock
          fly?)

          I spent 6 months on the AT in 2004 and got wet a few times to the
          point where I was freezing. I also have it setup in my back yard and
          sleep in it every night. As I'm returning to the AT in late Feb
          and I'm trying a number of experiments to see what works best in
          different situations, weather and so on… What clothes work best,
          VBL's, and types of sleeping bags.

          Rosaleen wrote:
          (I have had no problems in any of mine (UL Backpacker, original
          model, maybe now the "Cocoon," Explorer Deluxe, and the Asym
          Ultralight). Some peope like to have a larger fly for different
          reasons, including more coverage for a "living space.")

          I have the Explorer Deluxe Ultralight Asym which is 9 feet long. The
          stock HH fly just covers the hammock. Maybe a few inches on each
          side over the ends. So, you really have to set it up right if
          it's going to rain. I've sewed on a few extra ties downs and
          will use those to secure the front and rear hammock so that it wraps
          almost around the front and back. I also tie off to the trees with
          the fly and use a 12-inch piece of shock cord to keep the fly taunt
          after I get in. This has taken care of the problem of the rain
          blowing in and I've been able to stay dry.

          However, you don't have much room for living space under the
          hammock and getting in and out in a hard rain will get you wet. So,
          the larger fly is one reason. It's 7 ozs more then the stock, but
          worth the weight for the benefits.

          (PS If you need a "scrap" of silnylon, I can send you a small one.)

          Thanks Rosaleen for your suggestions and offer of the silnylon.
          Since I'm going to replace my stock fly, I will be using it to
          make some custom VBL gloves and a custom made overcover for really
          dry cold weather. Something like the HH Supershelter overcover, but
          covers 2 ½ by the head and 3 feet at the foot. When I get it done
          I will post some pics.

          Take care,
          WalkOneMile
        • Craig Stephanski

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
              <stephanski@s...> wrote:
              > I have also experienced some very slight weak spots(beginning of a
              tear) where the tie-outs at the ends of the hammock are. I was
              wondering about getting a stronger tarp myself....now I know I am not
              the only one that has had this happen to them.

              I just got my tarp today and it's raining like hell so it will be a
              good chance to test this thing out.. I'll keep ya all posted... So
              far it looks like very good work on the tarp itself.. What I like
              the most is that I can take it to the ground and set it up in so many
              different ways.
              WalkOneMile
            • walkonemile50
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "walkonemile50"
                <glherron46@y... wrote:

                I just got my tarp today and it's raining like hell so it will be a
                good chance to test this thing out.. I'll keep ya all posted... So
                far it looks like very good work on the tarp itself.. What I like
                the most is that I can take it to the ground and set it up in so many
                different ways.
                WalkOneMile

                Well I have a problem.. The 9x9 is 6 inchs short... Ouch... A
                problem if I want to hang it as an A frame. Dave won't be back until
                Tuesday.. So I'll have to wait and see. Man, I had it set up and it
                started raining and then I look and see the hammock hanging out..
              • jack_tier
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
                  Gary,

                  hang it on the diagonal and it will be huge...plenty of coverage.
                  jack

                  <glherron46@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "walkonemile50"
                  > <glherron46@y... wrote:
                  >
                  > I just got my tarp today and it's raining like hell so it will be
                  > good chance to test this thing out.. I'll keep ya all posted... So
                  > far it looks like very good work on the tarp itself.. What I like
                  > the most is that I can take it to the ground and set it up in so
                  many
                  > different ways.
                  > WalkOneMile
                  >
                  > Well I have a problem.. The 9x9 is 6 inchs short... Ouch... A
                  > problem if I want to hang it as an A frame. Dave won't be back
                  until
                  > Tuesday.. So I'll have to wait and see. Man, I had it set up and
                  it
                  > started raining and then I look and see the hammock hanging out..
                • brian_goatqaz123
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                    wrote:

                    > Gary,
                    >
                    > hang it on the diagonal and it will be huge...plenty of coverage.
                    > jack

                    Just make sure you watch the tieouts and be carefull of stress that
                    a diagonal pitch may cause after repeated use..

                    Brian
                    oes @ hvc.rr.com