[Hammock Camping] Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 5, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Adrnlnjnky <Adrnlnjnky@g...>
      wrote:
      > perhaps I'm missreading here but seems like it would be a lot
      simpler
      > to hang the tarp on a wall and use a string to create the shape of
      > your cut. just drop the middle the desired distance and with the
      two
      > ends taped to the corners of your tarp. then use a magic marker to
      > trace the line.

      Sounds easy. When I decided to do this I looked around for a place
      to try it, gave a little more thought to the details and decided to
      go another route. I think you may find it's not as easy as you think
      to secure and level large pieces of silnylon against a wall while you
      secure a cord with nails or tacks. Gravity is going to fight you
      every step of the way except for the catenary shape the cord makes.

      The templates took me a couple of hours to make and I have used them
      on 3 tarps so far, so I've gotten my moneys worth out of them. I
      don't have to mark the catenary curve on the fabric, I just lay out
      the fabric on my cutting board, position the template using the built
      in ruler/grids on the cutting boards, tape the template down and cut
      along the edge of the template with a sharpened soldering iron.
      This technique also allows the troublesome ridgeline to be cut and
      melted together on the two panels, holding them together making
      sewing the first seam much easier. On the smaller tarp, there are 9
      catenary cuts. On the larger tarp there are 11 catenary cuts.
      Templates were the way to go for me. But if you find a better way
      and let me know about it, I'll use it if and when I make some more.

      Youngblood
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie