Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

  • Adrnlnjnky
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 5, 2005
      it's not really less analytical it's less room for error. The string
      will form a nice arc better than I could do by hand!!

      My motto: keep is simple stupid!!

      On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:01:45 -0000, zippydooda <zippydooda@...> wrote:

      > I think a lot of people don't have 12 feet of unobstructed wall. I
      > will probably do what you are describing, but I will have to move
      > some stuff to do it.
      >
      > I really like making stuff without measuring any more than
      > necessary. Makes me feel more creative and less analytical, which is
      > important since I have to be analytical all the livelong day. Once I
      > cut my material 11 feet long I hope not to lay eyes on another tape
      > measure. Anyway, just a free thought.
      >
      > Bill in Houston
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Adrnlnjnky <Adrnlnjnky@g...>
      > wrote:
      > > perhaps I'm missreading here but seems like it would be a lot
      > simpler
      > > to hang the tarp on a wall and use a string to create the shape of
      > > your cut. just drop the middle the desired distance and with the
      > two
      > > ends taped to the corners of your tarp. then use a magic marker to
      > > trace the line.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Tom Peltier

      In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
      in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie