Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

  • Adrnlnjnky
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 5, 2005
      perhaps I'm missreading here but seems like it would be a lot simpler
      to hang the tarp on a wall and use a string to create the shape of
      your cut. just drop the middle the desired distance and with the two
      ends taped to the corners of your tarp. then use a magic marker to
      trace the line.

      On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:17:51 -0000, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Anyway, here are some points along the curve I use on the templates:
      >
      > For 12 foot template
      > 0' (center): -7.22"
      > +/- 0.5': ...-7.14"
      > +/- 1.0': ...-7.02"
      > +/- 1.5': ...-6.77"
      > +/- 2.0': ...-6.42"
      > +/- 2.5': ...-5.97"
      > +/- 3.0': ...-5.42"
      > +/- 3.5': ...-4.77"
      > +/- 4.0': ...-4.02"
      > +/- 4.5': ...-3.17"
      > +/- 5.0': ...-2.21"
      > +/- 5.5': ...-1.18"
      > +/- 6.0': ... 0.00"
      >
      > For 6 foot template
      > 0' (center): -1.80"
      > +/- 0.5': ...-1.75"
      > +/- 1.0': ...-1.60"
      > +/- 1.5': ...-1.35"
      > +/- 2.0': ...-1.00"
      > +/- 2.5': ...-0.55"
      > +/- 3.0': ... 0.00"
      >
      > I actually use two templates because the longest one is so difficult
      > to manuver, one for up to 6' long and then I tape two six foot
      > sections together to have one for up to 12'. Each of the templates
      > are 12" wide. I just plotted mine on the cardboard sewing board
      > (comes as 3'x6' with 1" grids) and cut the templates in straight
      > line segments (I think it was 6" segments), figuring the hems
      > sufficiently take out the straight line segments. You just use the
      > center portion of the templates to match the length that you are
      > dealing with.
      >
      > "I really like your idea of the tarp tent and that is what I am going
      > to build although I would like to make it 120 X 96, any thoughts on
      > that (is that too small, or what would you do different)? I also
      > want to use a straight ridgeline, not cat cut. I think this would
      > allow me use it better as a tarp only shelter (no hammock). I also
      > see you have a third tie out in the long side of the tarp, would
      > this be needed if the cat cut (sag) was deeper?"
      >
      > The size tarp you need will depend on your hammock, especially the
      > length. It is a three dimensional problem and if you go back and
      > look at my hammock tarp tent photos this will be apparent when you
      > look at the length of the ridgeline and compare how far that exceeds
      > the length on the tarp tent near the ground. I can tell you that 96"
      > is not enough width.
      >
      > I recently saw where another person used plastic drop cloth to model
      > a tent design... I thought that was very clever. Why don't you get a
      > 9'x12' piece of 2 or 3 mil plastic drop cloth, use reinforced
      > strapping tape and make a model to see what dimensions you want and
      > where you want to put your tieouts and panel pullouts? That might
      > also give you a feel for what catenary curves might do to help the
      > tautness. On my 96" wide tarp I used 3 tieouts on the long side of
      > the tarp, I think I need them. On the 126" wide tarp I used four
      > tieouts on the side and panel pullouts at the same spacing, the tarp
      > tent configuration dictated the placement of those.

      Tom Peltier

      In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
      in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie