Re: [Hammock Camping] Western Hammock Gathering

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2005
      Easter would never work for me, not a chance my wife
      would allow me off then. March 19th works for me,
      however I think it did not work for Jamie. All the
      locations I have heard work in my opinion, and I can
      live with car camping if the majority favors it.
      Other than that, perhapse we do have to plan out in
      April though. Actually, on second thought, the 19th
      might not work, I will have to double check on it.
      Hmmm...

      -Dylan

      =====

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • wpick87506@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 8, 2005
        Hello Arizonans!

        We've been going back and forth about the dates. I have not heard from Jamie. What I got from the others is that March 26th is a no go due to Easter Sunday. And that the 19th may not be good either.

        Some have suggested rescheduling in April. The first two weekends in April are already booked for me (Search and Rescue Training and DMAT training). I would like to get a date pinned down (hopefully) by Monday morning because I have Monday off and can got down to Maderia Canyon to make the reservations, or is that pushing it for everyone?

        Walter
      • Dylan Anderson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
          Hey Walter, sorry I have been unable to check my mail
          so I know this is a bit late. So we are out to April
          now? I just came across another possible area, are
          you familiar with Happy Valley? I am told it is just
          about 50 miles east of Tucson, and that it is very
          scenic indeed. April I here there should even be a
          number of waterfalls flowing at that time of the year.
          However I have not had a chance to look anything more
          about it up. Would that be an area worth going, and
          do you know anything more about it?

          =====

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • wpick87506@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
            Hi

            I've heard of Happy Velley. I've never been there. It sounds wonderful. I just wonder what the weather may be like in April? The waterfalls should be running full now. I don't know what they would be like then. What do the others think?

            Walter
          • Chuck Haak
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005

              Hi All,

              I should check in as a fellow Arizona hammock hanger who knows a little bit about Happy Valley. It is a nice place, very scenic, good access to some trails up into the Rincon Mountains especially up to Rincon Peak. There are a number of good campsites as you drive along the road. When I was there, I noticed one creek that crossed the road that looked worthy of a boulder hopping explore. April in Arizona can hardly be beat and a full moon would make it even better. Some of the sycamore trees are about 8’ in diameter so you might want to bring looong strap extenders.

              Chuck Haak

              chuckhaak@...

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                As I said, someone just recomended it to me as a place
                to check out. I could do it, or your suggestion too
                Walter. I don't know what others prefer, but do we
                have anyone who can commit to a weekend yet?

                =====

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              • wpick87506@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                  Hi

                  Still no commitments to any weekends yet.

                  Walter
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                    Okay so it seams like we are really struggling here AZers. Let's get
                    our ducks in a row. April is what's on the table right? I'm in for
                    16/17, 23/24 or 30/1.

                    I would prefer Madera since I want to attempt Mt. Wrightson but I
                    have heard really wonderful things about Happy Valley too so either
                    is fine by me. Let's decide on both issues so we can make some solid
                    plans before this ends up being a 2006 hanging event!!! :)

                    By the way, I have not heard from adrnlnjnky on this either. AJ are
                    you planning to join us? Also, what about you Chuck?

                    jamie d